Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Blobeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2012, 11:05 AM
Johno_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye WRX

Hi all, figured I might as well post this and say hello after signing up.

Basically, I had an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA and after months of umming and arring over what to do with the it, I finally decided to part with it.

Originally I was after something that didn't like a drink as much as the Alfa, but I've also been after something I can properly tinker with and have as a truely fast A to B hooligan. Add to that I've always wanted an Impreza, once the Alfa sold, heart ruled over head and it'd have been rude to get anything else really. Despite wanting a classic WRX STI Type-R coupe, I decided against one (much to the annoyance of the girlfriend) and settled on a UK spec WRX blobeye. Mainly because of the following reasons.

1) The cheapest Coupe was significantly more than the UK model - leaving cash for modifications.
2) The insurance difference was staggering - leaving more cash for modifications...
3) Man math dictated that I could justify the UK spec's MPG reading...ish.
4) I actually sort of, kind of, prefer the blob eye shape...

So, with those reasons drawn up, I found an immaculate example on PH. Serviced every five thousand miles, receipt folder thicker than the old testament and mechanically sound. A couple of minor cosmetic knocks, but it is a 10 year old car after all...with that in mind, I dragged the girlfriend half way up the country to go view it. Took one look at it and did my usual trick of falling in love with it straight away.

Having been stung on an Exige a couple of weeks ago (trailed all the way to Birmingham to look at what was described as immaculate, only to find out it was not only a dog but more importantly a Cat B write-off dog) I went over the Impreza thoroughly. And unsurprisingly, mechanically, it seems perfect, and has quite a few extras that weren't listed in the ad. Uprated filter, Blitz dump valve, and some sort of upgraded exhaust that looks like a HKS super dragger, but I'm 95% sure it's not. Anyway, that was that, deposit left and I pick it up next week some time when the mental-ness at work has died down and I can get back to Yorkshire and pick it up.

So yeah...I'm now the proud owner of a 2003 WRX:

Plans for it are to get it looking good whilst being something I can abuse the living **** out of on a daily basis. First thing to go is the god awful mid-level spoiler, complete with tasteful 'Scooby' sticker over the 3rd brake light. Still undecided on whether to leave it spoilerless or go all out and go for a 'bigger is better' huge wing....

Never been a fan of Jap style cans, so that is going and being replaced with a more subtle system, then after that, usual cosmetic tweaks, wheels, coilovers, ARB's, etc....shopping list has been drawn up and redrafted about three times already!

It's going to go completely against the whole point of getting rid of the Alfa for sensible and affordable to run, but when I live less than 15 miles from work, I'm far too young to be concerned about MPG and such. - I'm laughing now, but I'm sure I'll get fed up of filling it up!

Will get some proper pics when I pick it up, can't wait!

Last edited by Johno_WRX; 27 November 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 27 November 2012, 11:20 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Welcome to the world of spending....Let the mods begin.
Old 27 November 2012, 11:28 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done mate caught yourself a cracker there.

Welcome to SNet
Old 27 November 2012, 11:32 AM
Colinm101
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking Blob Mate. Just bought a Blob STI Myself (after selling my bug) Shopping list has changed loads too!!

True petrol head since you've owned an Alfa......
Old 27 November 2012, 11:35 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet, and in the fastest colour as well
Old 27 November 2012, 12:13 PM
Johno_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll admit, it's not the colour combo I was originally after, but it works so well...and it matches my weekend toy too:

Originally Posted by Colinm101
True petrol head since you've owned an Alfa......
I've had a few now! Think I've had my fill of them to be fair, 'character' and 'soul' only get you so far before you start getting pissed off with them!

And I think the shopping list will be redrafted several times before I've even picked it up!
Old 27 November 2012, 12:42 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Congratulations on a good find. And welcome aboard.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:16 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Welcome along! Cracking blob there! Nice zr160 there quite quick little things
Old 27 November 2012, 01:57 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Snet, very nice and clean blob
Old 27 November 2012, 08:01 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice - a blank canvas there that'll make you bank manager happy
Old 29 November 2012, 11:03 AM
Johno_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. Really looking forward to picking it up now. This week has properly dragged, I feel like a schoolkid on a rainy day!

Originally Posted by Dan-
Welcome along! Cracking blob there! Nice zr160 there quite quick little things
Thank you! The ZR really is a rapid little thing! It looks a lot different now, after a hard season's racing, but it's done me well and will be hard pressed to ever part with it!