Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

4 blue Prodrive Style STi's

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 02:19 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Photos courtesy of Rum More to come once other films get developed as well.

Photos here

All cars at Knockhill last Tuesday

Was a cracking day out, especially getting to drive some Subaru supplied STi's hard around a handling circuit, and driving a PPP equipped STi (and some standard ones as well as WRXs, and even a Forester Turbo) around the track

Nice to meet the other owners, especially Tom who had driven quite some way to get to Knockhill.

Just before we left, a 5th black STi with the PRO 300 number plates joined the line-up

Many Thanks to Subaru UK for putting on such a fantastic day out for all the owners and soon to be owners. By far the best corporate day out I've ever done, as all the activities were very informative and fun.

Our group did the following activities:

Introductory video on the STi starring Miss VBH herself.
Track briefing by on of the Knockhill instructors.
Lunch.

Drive standard WRXs (including a Forester Turbo) around the circuit at Knockhill, with an sintructor alongside at all times giving you expert tuition and guidance.

Drive one of three black Prodrive Style STi's around a special handling circuit set out for the day. A slalom of about 6 cones to be negotiated quickly and smoothly, followed by a tight sweeping left hand 180 degree corner. This had to be tackled at full throttle in 2nd gear, with the aim of getting the car to slide wide, and demonstrate the grip available by the car, and the effectiveness of the Suretrac diffs and 4WD system. Out of this corner at full pelt, before going flat out for a braking zone. Activate the ABS, and steer around the obstacle. Repeat faster next time around with a bigger smile on your face

Then onto the best driving part of the day. Driving the group of STi's (mostly prodrive style) around the track, with an instructor alongside giving tuition and guidance where appropriate. Great fun after having just done the handling course, so you know what the cars were capable of. Some of us noticed that one of the cars had a slightly different exhaust note to the others, and it was let slip that it had been a PPP development car, and still had the kit fitted. Of course we opted to drive that one Got the chance to drive the standard cars as well in comparison.

We then got passenger laps with Mike Wood in the PRO 300 car. Fantastic experience as always. Huge amounts of fun as Mike had the car sideways before, during and after every corner on the track, showing us just how capable the new car is. Of course, being fitted with the PPP (sorry I've got no info on what it comprises and how much it will cost in case you ask!), it had that extra oomph along the straights, and with soem other bits fitted (18 inch wheels and development springs) the car was very settled through the corners as well. The car also sounded fantastic, having a much better exhaust note than the almost silent standard cars.

Then coffee/tea with cakes and biscuits, before a de-briefing session and prize-giving. Prizes were awarded to the best team of the day, and the best driver of the day. Everyone got a goody bag full of nice Subaru goodies as well (brochures, pens, key-rings, silk scarf for our other halfs), plus info on the new Subaru approved insurance scheme.

A top day out, and nice to meet a great bunch of people

John
Old 16 April 2002, 02:31 PM
JohnS

Thumbs up

Forgot to say that the new STI Accessories brochure was one of the goodies in the bag. Should now be available from your local Subaru dealer.

Lists all the usual things like wheels, interior bits, but also things like silicon hose sets, radiator caps, gear ***** etc.

John
Old 16 April 2002, 02:52 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Looks and sounds like a top day John, What were the details of the event, i.e. where was it advertised - who was it for e.t.c.....just curious.

thx
Old 16 April 2002, 03:03 PM
JohnS

Smile

Crispin,

it was indeed a top day out. I got an invite through S&S Services in Ayr, who supplied my new car, as did a few others. I think all the dealers in Scotland had a number of places they could allocate to customers.

I believe that Subaru UK are doing a sort of road-tour of the UK at the moment, doing similar events throughout the country, and I believe they were at Croft last week as well.

John
Old 16 April 2002, 03:45 PM
Steve 555
Scooby Regular

Went to the one last thursday at Croft. Same set up, same timetable of events. Were you restricted to 70MPHish as it was not a 'helmet' day?

Can concur, it was a good day. Good racing tips given

Steve
Old 16 April 2002, 03:47 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

I did go to the one Marlborough organised John, and whilst good fun, didn't have the tuition thing going on - which would be great....Maybe i'll have to do a prodrive live day or something....
Old 16 April 2002, 04:15 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was there with John and it was a fantastic day out

We had the use of Helmets so speed wasn't a problem!!

A really good day out and it was really good to meet Tom (rum*) and a few other people.

The Prodrive car and Mike Wood where amazing and enough to get people excited about getting the upgrade (including me!!)

Old 16 April 2002, 04:51 PM
JohnS

Cool

No 70mph limit. In fact I'm trying to think of the places around the track where we would have been under 70mph - not too many!!

Maximum speed I saw was about 105 - 110mph going into the braking zone for Duffus (rev limiter in 4th) in the PPP equipped car, and that was without pushing it too hard.

John
Old 17 April 2002, 09:55 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ummmm...it was good fun...great to catch up with a few new faces...I think everyone had an enjoyable day...and hopefully I didn't bore to many folk with the insurance stuff...

Off to Prodrive tomorrow and Friday and then Castle Coombe next week...

If you are going....see you at the track!!

Rum*
Old 18 April 2002, 12:36 AM
dizz
Scooby Regular

it looks better without all the yellow stickers all over the place
who you trying to kid leave that to Tommi and the WRC Team...
the other three are tops and just like mine...
(Sorry RUM but i just think it looks tacky)
Old 21 April 2002, 04:32 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Which day are they at castle combe Rum, who can go, I am quite near and would like to at least have a look.
Old 21 April 2002, 06:34 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

dizz....not trying to kid anyone :S...but seen as its stickered for PR etc etc it will stay that way for a while...it was also stickered for the Catalunya Rally and to raise money for MacMillon Cancer

If I was really trying to kid people...I'd have the roof vent and all the proper sponsors

Rum
Old 21 April 2002, 08:18 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Dizz,

If you saw it in the flesh and had been at the Cat, you would NOT be saying it was tacky, believe me.... cos' I was there and driving it! Actually Tommi and Peta thought it looked pretty good

Mossman