Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Hawk to Hatch, pleased I made the move.

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2009, 09:26 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk to Hatch, pleased I made the move.

Well, after a 3 week wait I finally picked up my new Hatch STI last week, found it back in June but had a holiday booked inbetween and it was also 200 miles away so was a bit of hassle to collect, well worth the wait though.

Its a 2008 STI in Spark Silver, totally standard with 5600 on the clock but with upgraded wheels and rear tints, got offered a really good deal on my old MY06 WRX which I could just not turn down.

Impressions so far are just wow, I knew the STI would be quicker than my WRX but its a massive step up in performance. It also seems much more refined than my old car, the SI drive is brilliant and so far am averaging 30+ mpg, also getting way more looks than before, people used to see and hear the WR blue scoob and kids used to love it, in this though no one really know what it is until they see the badge and just stare at it as you drive past.

I must admit when the hatch came out I was amongst the doubters but you must drive one and see one in the flesh, pictures even the press ones just do not do it justice.

Within 24 hours it had been de-tango'd and had the side lights replaced with LED items and a fire extinuisher fitted under the passenger seat, hopefully within the next couple of months I should be fitting:

Front V-Lip
Front Fogs
Supertones
Rally Armour Flaps (On order)
Exhaust trims (If I can decide if I like them or not)
Front Mesh (again if I decide whether I like the silver mesh and want to pay £170)

On collecting the the car it was also a nice suprise to find heated seats, MP3 connector, folding mirrors, heated wiper section on screen and a 6 disc CD player, all of which I did not know it came with.

Only moan I have so far is the quality of the silver interior trim, I'm sure I sneezed and it scratched, may have to look at replacing with carbon or something!

Anyway some pics below:

Old WRX, did not miss a beat in the 3.5 years I owned her.

New pride and joy

May look at the 330 pack next year once I'm used to the power but for now its plenty!

Hope you like.
Arron

Last edited by Abx; 06 July 2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:45 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Love mine too . Know what you mean about the feau ali trim though, having the same thoughts. Only thing thats got to happen is for me to import an ipod controller from the states.
Old 06 July 2009, 10:01 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

looks well, not over keen on the wheels though, but very nice car all the same
Old 06 July 2009, 10:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well I am no fan of the new Impreza, but if you like it then that's all that matters. Please please please sor out those awful rear lights though. They are just unbelievably tacky and bring the look of the rear of the car down. Someone must make some decent after market ones.
Old 06 July 2009, 02:10 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
looks well, not over keen on the wheels though, but very nice car all the same
I think the wheels help, 17's just look too small and make the car look too big for the wheels whereas 18's fill the arches and suit the car a whole lot better.

Would also like to replace the tacky interior bits, have you found anywhere that's doing them as standard?

Silver was my other colour but I couldn't find many examples to peruse over so went for the grey and my previous Hawk was silver so fancied a change but looks good. The door mirrors look smaller than my Prince Charlie ears are they the ones Litchfield puts on his or are they standard ones?
Old 06 July 2009, 03:01 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys

As with most things hatch the wheels and rear lights look way better in the flesh, originally was going to change the wheels but the Lustic silver has really grown on me, and as said 18's fill the arches nicely so am now in no rush to lower it either. As for the rear lights, I have seen some red overlays in the US but I don't think they look too bad, but then again I loved the rears on my Hawk (grey bezel though not the awful chrome ones).

As for the interior trim and mirrors, have found some carbon replacements on ebay but its for a left hand drive model but sure with a bit more searching I can find somthing else.

Subaru Impreza WRX 2008 Real Carbon Fiber Interior 12pc:eBay Motors (item 320345715731 end time Jul-29-09 00:13:10 PDT)

And your right the mirrors dont look that big in the pics, I can assure you though they are massive, IIRC its some new EU ruling that they have to be a certain size, have you seen the new A3, they are just as bad! Whilst on the topic of mirrors, it'd be great if they folded in when you turned the ignitiojn off.
Old 06 July 2009, 03:25 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
Cheers Guys

As with most things hatch the wheels and rear lights look way better in the flesh, originally was going to change the wheels but the Lustic silver has really grown on me, and as said 18's fill the arches nicely so am now in no rush to lower it either. As for the rear lights, I have seen some red overlays in the US but I don't think they look too bad, but then again I loved the rears on my Hawk (grey bezel though not the awful chrome ones).

As for the interior trim and mirrors, have found some carbon replacements on ebay but its for a left hand drive model but sure with a bit more searching I can find somthing else.

Subaru Impreza WRX 2008 Real Carbon Fiber Interior 12pc:eBay Motors (item 320345715731 end time Jul-29-09 00:13:10 PDT)

And your right the mirrors dont look that big in the pics, I can assure you though they are massive, IIRC its some new EU ruling that they have to be a certain size, have you seen the new A3, they are just as bad! Whilst on the topic of mirrors, it'd be great if they folded in when you turned the ignitiojn off.
$600 plus shipping, foof that!!!
Old 06 July 2009, 07:35 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

now that i like
Old 06 July 2009, 08:17 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry hate it, Hawk a much nicer looking car. I would of chopped that in for a Hawk STi if you wanted more performance.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:06 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

very nice indeed, excellent choice. Glad your happy with it. the exhaust trims do look good and finnish it off nice if you have an aftermarket exhaust otherwise they look daft because the standard tailpipes sit so far under the car you cant see them
Old 06 July 2009, 09:22 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you moved over to the future !!!

the doom and gloom merchants and the douters with thier silly salloons with Ironing boards fixed on the back will see the errors of the ways anre realise there is only one way forward

Indeed after watching top gear last night they will all be knocking on the subaru dealers doors today asking for Ken block style Stis ##

looks great get yourself over to the 08-09 thread and along to the first meeting nationally of the best looking Subaru since the classic wagon !!
Old 06 July 2009, 09:33 PM
midichlorian
Scooby Regular

.....Like he said
Old 06 July 2009, 09:44 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
glad you moved over to the future !!!

the doom and gloom merchants and the douters with thier silly salloons with Ironing boards fixed on the back will see the errors of the ways anre realise there is only one way forward

Indeed after watching top gear last night they will all be knocking on the subaru dealers doors today asking for Ken block style Stis ##

looks great get yourself over to the 08-09 thread and along to the first meeting nationally of the best looking Subaru since the classic wagon !!
Shhhhhhhhhhh lets keep it a secret a little longer I quite like being a rarity down here in Devon !
Old 06 July 2009, 10:35 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

do it up ken block style ftw
Old 07 July 2009, 10:33 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally would have stayed with the hawkeye, maybe upgrade to a higher spec model. i'm liking the hatch though, plus you dont see many of them around too

wiley
Old 07 July 2009, 11:09 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Lordharding - Ironing boards ? - I thought they were book shelves ! Though never having seen any books on them made me wonder about the literacy of the drivers
I'm attemping humour guys !! (Flame suit on as a precaution)
I still preferred the old 98 shape if you need a boot !
Hatches are soooo civilised.
Stan

PS
Nice motor Aaron !

Last edited by StanS; 08 July 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07 July 2009, 11:26 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

nice 1

I am about to do the same

have a White STI hatch , placed order today with a list of extra:

Prodrive Performance Pack Impreza WRX STI 2.5 2008MY
Quick shift Gear Change (6MT)
STI Mesh Grille
STI Front Under Spoiler
STI Carpet Mats
STI Exhaust/Bumper Finisher
Moulding-Pillar Carbon
Dual console box
Front Fog Lamp Kit
Prodrive Spring Kit
Prodrive Mudflaps
Silvatec Indicator Bulbs - Front Indicator
Super LED Twin - Side Light Bulbs
Silvatec Indicator Bulbs - Side Repeaters
STI AIR FILTER
window tints all round 50% fronts, 80% rest.

still undecided on the Prodrive GT2 19" or to stick with my RB320 GT1 18"

i had a standard STI for a week and the 330S for a day, neither compared to my current 07 STI Hawkeye with PPP and most of the same mods but i think with the list above it will be just as good.

i thought the hatch was far superior out on the track tho over my hawkeye.
Old 07 July 2009, 11:53 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by wiley
i personally would have stayed with the hawkeye, maybe upgrade to a higher spec model. i'm liking the hatch though, plus you dont see many of them around too

wiley
Did consider a different model Hawk, always loved the S204 but too much money and once you drive the Hatch you just realise how much more grown up and civilised it is, the cabin is a nice place to be, even on motorways. This is also a family car and apart from the Mrs not wanting to spend more cash on a car that looked the same the Hatch is much safer, 4STAR NCAP IIRC which as I have a daughter means a lot.

Rob, see what you mean about the exhaust trims, may hold off of them until I decide what to do about the exhaust, was originally going for a H&S box but after seeing the price and may just opt for PPP, unless I can find a second hand Prodrive box that is!!

Loving the rarity of it, in 18 months I've only seen one on the road and most people don't have a clue as to what it is!

RB5, your spec looks great, just one thing, I don't think you need side repeater bulbs as they are built-in LED in the mirrors IIRC, not like the old Hawk. And I'm loving the GT2 rims on a white car, If I was buying new white and those rims in grey would have been my choice!

Lets just hope not everyone sees the light and we say in small numbers!
Old 07 July 2009, 12:37 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

cheers Aaron

I'm weighing up what to do as I really want to get a decent set of rims this time and a set of Volks Racing rims have quite taken my fancy but at £4k kinda like a kick in the NUT$ lol

the other alternative is this as I have been looking thru the hatch gallery thread and it seems many are doing the RB320 style wheel
Old 07 July 2009, 01:22 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Its funny, I was looking at rims aswell way before I had even got the car, Rays or Volks were my choice but after finding out the cost as you have done I dropped the idea.

I blame the 08 thread on NASIOC as there are some fantasic STI's on there with Rays and coilovers, if you have not been following it here is the link, nearly 400 or so pages so takes some time and could cost you some serious cash!!

Post Your 2008-2009 WRX/STI - NASIOC
Old 07 July 2009, 11:28 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Its funny, I was looking at rims aswell way before I had even got the car, Rays or Volks were my choice but after finding out the cost as you have done I dropped the idea.

I blame the 08 thread on NASIOC as there are some fantasic STI's on there with Rays and coilovers, if you have not been following it here is the link, nearly 400 or so pages so takes some time and could cost you some serious cash!!

Post Your 2008-2009 WRX/STI - NASIOC
Two days later just reached page 150! However Page 141 talks about painting the rear lights which looks a much better option although probably more expensive. The film looks tricky and I didn't realize it went on the outside and there are some pics of poor results which look awful.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:07 AM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

Looks great mate, loving the colour and the wheels really suit. I wouldn't bother with new grilles though but I'd go for the exhaust surrounds!
Old 08 July 2009, 12:44 AM
orthochris
Scooby Regular

The car Looks great
I still prefer the GT1's over the GT2's. I am slightly biased though
My sensors still aren't sorted.
The ARB's etc are the next essential, I have a left hand corner I go around everyday that loads the rear offside heavily and I can feel the car collapsing on that side. I think the ARB's etc are probably more imp than the prodrive springs.
I look forward to seeing the exhaust trim. I can't decide if I want them either. The tinted windows look good.

Chris
Old 08 July 2009, 09:18 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Ref painting the rear lights opposed to film, I have done this previously on my brother in laws G60 to cover up the yellow indicators and got some really good resuls using IIRC foiltec spray and lacquer, he got some cheap lights from the breakers though for a tenner, not sure I'd be brave enough to attempt on my lenses though. I masked the area very carefully, used a sharp blade to trim the edges and loads of very thin coats until we got the colour requires.

Had decided yes on the exhaust surrounds but as Rob84 sais with a std exhaust the pipes get a bit lost as it is under the rear bumber, so I'll wait until I get the Prodrvive upgrade or a new back box.
Old 09 July 2009, 01:20 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

With standard exhaust-lost

With aftermarket exhaust- much better

And Prodrive mesh-

Lee
Old 09 July 2009, 01:31 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lee, what exhaust do you have and is that mesh the stuff from Subaru accesories book?

Thanks
A
Old 09 July 2009, 01:41 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Got the Revolution cat back, not too loud, louder with a centre decat tho. And yes mate, grille is out of Subaru catalogue. Dearer than the Zunsport but not as bright, which is what i wanted.

And as for wheels i really wanted Advan RS but would cry when the Mrs would have kerbed em!!! Mind u had this one 15 month and not a mark on the GT1's. just jinxed me wheels now havent I?!

Lee
Old 09 July 2009, 01:53 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lee, exhaust is on my list but they are just so dam expensive I'm in 2 minds whether just to go for the 330 pack!

Liking the grill also as was not too sure about a bright grill on a silver car, anyway have fogs and a splitter next on the list and my Rallyarmours.

Thanks
A
Old 09 July 2009, 03:42 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Liking the grill also as was not too sure about a bright grill on a silver car, anyway have fogs and a splitter next on the list and my Rallyarmours.

Thanks
A
Aaron, zunsport also do the grille set in black.

Lee