Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

From a Bugeye to a new Blobeye !

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 05:58 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From a Bugeye to a new Blobeye !

Hey guys, been away from the forum for a long time since I sold my Bugeye about a year ago, changed to a VW Golf only to get the 'Scooby withdraw symptoms' again and return with a PPP Blobeye. I caved to the temptation.

The Mk5 GT TDI Golf was a good car, definately more torquey in low range than a Scooby but of course the signature oomph of a Scoob floods in when the blower kicks in. Would have to say I wouldnt return to a Diesel now that I have driven one, very different engine tone and honestly didnt see much of a saving like you used to now that diesel is more expensive than petrol. Sure the mpg was higher but not an amazing difference as it was a turbo diesel.

Went for Red....not sure what peeps think of red, dont come across them that often. Maybe theres a reason for that but I like it, its the brightest colour car Ive had to date. Just got to stop it fading to pink now! lol

Its an '05 WRX PPP'd, completely standard - but would look nice with some white wheels Would have to consult the misses first though! lol

Whilst on the subject of PPP (or WR Sport as the certificate says) there seems to be alot of 2005 PPP Scoobys around (on Subaru Used and Autotrader) did Subaru go through a stage of shipping out Blobeyes with PPP on them? Even on an online car insurance website, amongst the scooby variations was the option of '2005 Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX (261) 4 Door Saloon' As though a batch of 261bhp PPP'd Blobeyes were made throughout 2005 and put on sale. Anyone shed any light on this or am I talking a load of crud?

Anyway, tis good to be back in the Scooby community, is there an Alton meet this year or have I missed it?

M.

Last edited by scoober101; 22 July 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 21 July 2008, 06:12 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paintwork looks ace! It will look nice once you de-tango and put splitter on :-)
Old 21 July 2008, 06:57 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Good choice with the colour
Red was my second choice (white being first) when I was searching for a hawkeye to replace my bug. Too many WR Blue ones about where I am tbh

I reckon some anthracite/black wheels would really suit the red
Old 21 July 2008, 08:37 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Nice,welcome back
Old 21 July 2008, 09:15 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

very nice that
Old 21 July 2008, 09:57 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boobiman
Good choice with the colour
Red was my second choice (white being first) when I was searching for a hawkeye to replace my bug. Too many WR Blue ones about where I am tbh

I reckon some anthracite/black wheels would really suit the red
Totally agree, used to want a Scoob in the signature wr blue but changed my mind when I saw so many of them, I also looked for white but found they are rarer than rocking-horse poop. The only ones I came across totally missed my price range - probably cos they were Spec-C's! lol

Originally Posted by boobiman;Clarkie172
The paintwork looks ace! It will look nice once you de-tango and put splitter on :-)
Thats some Photoshop jiggery-pokery but yeah the paintwork is really good nick, think the previous owner looked after it pretty well.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:09 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Very nice in Red.

After you have put on a nice set of Anthracite 18" PFF7 alloys, front lower splitter in Black, detango, Black flaps, slight tints, Tein springs and big noisey backbox it will look fantastic. (imo)

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2008, 10:52 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

welcome back...
Old 21 July 2008, 11:09 PM
ruislip
Scooby Regular

sweet
Old 22 July 2008, 12:42 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

love the color mate, could do with sti spoiler and front splitter
welcome back though
wiley
Old 22 July 2008, 07:46 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

welcome i know what you mean about the golf before the scoob i had a Seat Leon FR tdi 150 which had been remapped to around 190 bhp torque was just under 300 lb ft it flew in mid range and on a long run like i used to do to work it would do well over 50 to the gallon but when i changed jobs most of its time was spent in traffic doing short trips and it was lucky to get 26 27 out of it... so in came the scoob never looked back.... i bought my 2005 scoob wrx in silver and that was ppp'd i think subaru did a promotion thing for a while just before the 2.5 litre engine was launched....??? and put ppp on to move the 2 litre model

Last edited by Mrfastbaz; 22 July 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 22 July 2008, 10:06 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz
welcome i know what you mean about the golf before the scoob i had a Seat Leon FR tdi 150 which had been remapped to around 190 bhp torque was just under 300 lb ft it flew in mid range and on a long run like i used to do to work it would do well over 50 to the gallon but when i changed jobs most of its time was spent in traffic doing short trips and it was lucky to get 26 27 out of it... so in came the scoob never looked back.... i bought my 2005 scoob wrx in silver and that was ppp'd i think subaru did a promotion thing for a while just before the 2.5 litre engine was launched....??? and put ppp on to move the 2 litre model
I think it was a promotion of either 3 years free servicing or a free PPP.

Nice car scoober101, can't beat a blob eye
Old 22 July 2008, 12:30 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments guys, all these suggestions is making my bank card quiver in the corner!

Anyone got any parts information on the WRX Prodrive Performance Pack?, I found the tech details on the Subaru website but was interested to know what parts are actually changed on a WRX to eek out the extra power - the images I found show the back box, exhaust centre pipe, a blue hose, a gasket and what I assume is an ECU box(?) and am I right in thinking a PPP'd WRX would keep up with a stock STI?

M.

Last edited by scoober101; 22 July 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 20 August 2008, 11:18 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoober101
Anyone got any parts information on the WRX Prodrive Performance Pack?, I found the tech details on the Subaru website but was interested to know what parts are actually changed on a WRX to eek out the extra power - the images I found show the back box, exhaust centre pipe, a blue hose, a gasket and what I assume is an ECU box(?) and am I right in thinking a PPP'd WRX would keep up with a stock STI?
I found the answer to my own question if anyone else was wondering the same thing...According to the email I got from Subaru, the PPP parts changed on a 2005 WRX - and probably between 2002 and 2004 also - are as follows:

* Intercooler Hose
* Rear Silencer
* A small Exhaust centre pipe that measure approx 60cm and holds an oxygen sensor (presumably they fit a de-cat pipe)
* ECU remap

I wonder if any more cats were removed in the system it would fail an emissions test?
Old 22 August 2008, 07:11 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

very nice wrx . I got a 2003 blobeye in red as well, thought it would make a change to blue.

Ive got similar mods to the ppp as well. Would be interesting to see if it could keep up with a stock sti. (is there any stock imprezas left?)
The wrx is slightly lighter than the sti so it would be down to driver and probably the different gear box setup.
They would have removed only 1 cat with the ppp
If you remove more it wont pass the mot.
Old 23 August 2008, 03:46 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
very nice wrx . I got a 2003 blobeye in red as well, thought it would make a change to blue.

Ive got similar mods to the ppp as well. Would be interesting to see if it could keep up with a stock sti. (is there any stock imprezas left?)
The wrx is slightly lighter than the sti so it would be down to driver and probably the different gear box setup.
They would have removed only 1 cat with the ppp
If you remove more it wont pass the mot.
Just checked your 'view my scooby' Mifo, you pretty much have a complete de-cat exhaust, is it a "cash in hand" jobby when getting an emissions test?
Old 23 August 2008, 06:20 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I made the same jump myself from bug to blob and I couldnt be happier!! Like everyone says blob WRX's need a front splitter. I was having none of it at first as I thought it looked perfect but over time I realised the front end looked too high. I've just ordered mine from HT Auto's!! Well done on the new car mate and welcome back to SNET!!
Old 24 August 2008, 07:46 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoober101
Just checked your 'view my scooby' Mifo, you pretty much have a complete de-cat exhaust, is it a "cash in hand" jobby when getting an emissions test?
no the downpipe is still stock, so really it should pass.

passed last month, but Im not 100% sure if they took the readings correctly as it reads 0.0% carbon!! didnt think this was possible!
cant complain, got the mot certificate, no cash in hand was needed, and Ill definatly be going there next year!
Old 24 August 2008, 09:09 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mifo
no the downpipe is still stock, so really it should pass.

passed last month, but Im not 100% sure if they took the readings correctly as it reads 0.0% carbon!! didnt think this was possible!
cant complain, got the mot certificate, no cash in hand was needed, and Ill definatly be going there next year!

My UK 2000 had the same reading in 2003 for its first MOT. Maybe its good for the environment and is seriously green
Old 24 August 2008, 11:34 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Whilst on the subject of PPP (or WR Sport as the certificate says) there seems to be alot of 2005 PPP Scoobys around (on Subaru Used and Autotrader) did Subaru go through a stage of shipping out Blobeyes with PPP on them?
In 2005 they had an offer of free PPP or free servicing. Being a mechanic for some 22 years now, mine of course came with PPP

You can also remove the Up-Pipe Cat (& EGT Sensor) and run with just the Prodrive Sports Cat as fitted to the STi with PPP (Or any other decent sports Cat for that matter) and easily pass the MOT Emissions test as mine did last week.

Last edited by D-an-W; 24 August 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Just noticed the PPP question was already answered!
Old 27 August 2008, 06:22 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D-an-W
In 2005 they had an offer of free PPP or free servicing. Being a mechanic for some 22 years now, mine of course came with PPP

You can also remove the Up-Pipe Cat (& EGT Sensor) and run with just the Prodrive Sports Cat as fitted to the STi with PPP (Or any other decent sports Cat for that matter) and easily pass the MOT Emissions test as mine did last week.
Thanks for the info D-an-W, thats just what I was looking for, I didnt want to go down the route of de-cating and then finding Im failing the emissions test at MOT. Does that mean the down pipe after the turbo is the main cat for emmisions and removing it will almost guarantee an MOT fail?