Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

What < 10k Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 09:39 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What < 10k Subaru

I want an '03 STI ideally, but cant afford one. So ideally id want the next best thing, which would be an '03 WRX with assorted stick on STI bits (spoiler, front lip etc..)

but im curious as to whether i should be looking at Bugeye STI / or Bugeye Uk300 as well ?

dont really fancy a classic, looking a little dated for my tastes.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:04 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

oops, this was supposed to be somewhere more appropriate. Mods feel free to move.

Having said that, this is giving me a semi

Autotrader - SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX UK300 4WD 4dr Saloon Special Editions
Old 26 February 2008, 10:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Funnily enough, when I went to pick up my brand new P1 there was a brand new uk300 next to it at the dealers. Guess which one looked awful and a backward step? Forget a semi, get a real mans car and get the full mast
Old 26 February 2008, 10:17 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago.
Got my wrx for £8k with a few mods , an sti would have been about £3000 more plus £600 more on insurance!!

you can probably get a bugeye sti for blobeye wrx money. £8-9 k.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:35 PM
Scooby23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Forget a semi, get a real mans car and get the full mast
LMAO
Old 26 February 2008, 10:37 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Funnily enough, when I went to pick up my brand new P1 there was a brand new uk300 next to it at the dealers. Guess which one looked awful and a backward step? Forget a semi, get a real mans car and get the full mast
its going to be a family car so needs to be a 4 door unfortunately. Plus, the classic just doesnt do it for me anymore.

Originally Posted by Mifo
you can probably get a bugeye sti for blobeye wrx money. £8-9 k.
Bug eye STI is an ugly ****. By the time you've spent a load of cash making it look like the Uk300, you might as well have bought a UK300 in the first place i know the performance is obv. different. But comming from a 90bhp 1.8 the 240bhp of the Uk300 is going to feel like a rocket ship anyway.
Old 26 February 2008, 11:28 PM
Bagio
Scooby Newbie

I have a 2004 WRX and I like it alot it's std at the moment apart from 18" oz wheels. however £1000.00 spent on a remap and exhaust will boost power to 265.
This is another option to consider.

My car may be for sale soon if you want some details send me a private message

Trending Topics

Old 27 February 2008, 06:45 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar position couldn't decide between a prodrive style sti 7 or a blobeye WRX, but went for 03 WRX in the end as it is an everyday car and according to government figures is a lot better on fuel than the sti so that is what swung my decision in the end.
Old 27 February 2008, 07:51 AM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

save another grand mate - I've seen nice examples of what you really want going for that.

The way I look at it is, you've got in your mind what you want so don't settle for less. You'll only regret it
Old 27 February 2008, 10:22 AM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

blobeye wrx with some sti parts on it mate
Old 27 February 2008, 10:46 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

is there that much difference in price compared from the 03 sti to 03 wrx?

if you intend to spend money on spoiler,lip, decals, take in to fact that you have you will need it to be painted on top of purchase price mate you might as well wait a little longer save the cash up that you will end up spending on the wrx and get yourself the car you wanted. STI they are in my opinion better cars, better suspension, styling, better base car for modding which more times than none you will ned up going down, but rather than spending the cash on spoilers etc yo can spen dit on better mods!!!!
Old 27 February 2008, 12:05 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blob eye sti would be my choice:
Subaru : WRX STi

Its a buyers market right now so go and see a few and haggle aggressively on the price, occasionally you can get a bargain if the seller already has another motor/needs the money for other concerns.

When it comes to impreza's you buy one for performance, not economy. The difference in fuel/insurance between the sti and WRX is marginal when you consider all of the running costs for both cars. The sti is a finished product, its very quick, has excellent handling and very good braking. The WRX is a compromise, is not slow but many deisels will outpace it, more comfortable but not as good round corners than the sti, and the brakes are not quite as good. You also get the 6 speed gearbox in the sti, much stronger than the 5 speed in the WRX.

I'd be getting the sti everytime.
Old 27 February 2008, 12:32 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

"The WRX is a compromise, is not slow but many deisels will outpace it"?????

what?
Old 27 February 2008, 12:42 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

My classic has 4 doors and will fit 2 kids with assorted gear fairly easily, not bad for a car with over 300 bhp and a few tasteful mods.Shame you think it looks 'dated'. What about an RA in sonic blue, that's got 4 doors and looks even lairier than mine. Outpaces all diesels AFAIK
Old 27 February 2008, 01:09 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Could of had the spec'C for 12k... goes 2moro now tho.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:17 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem6
"The WRX is a compromise, is not slow but many deisels will outpace it"?????

what?
New age UK spec WRX's have about 210-220 bhp out of the box, the 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds is pretty quick (but certainly not exceptional) but in the real world driving a decent deisel from BMW will be quicker (a BMW deisel will be have far better in gear acceleration).

My point is that the WRX is thirsty, pretty attractive to thieves and ultimately not that quick in standard form. Its a compromise because I have always seen an impreza as having sports car performance in a saloon package which imho the stock WRX does not (different story if your going to mod it, but then again why not start with a sti if your first move is to spend money on extra performance?).

The Sti has blistering pace as standard, and has all of the trimmings you'd expect from a high performance car without needing to do anything to it. It makes no bones about this and is thirsty, relatively expensive to insure and is not a particularly comfortable ride.

The WRX has not got the performance of a good sports car, and has had money saved in area's that you'll need to spend it on to get the performance of the sti. EG brakes, suspension, gearbox and engine. Its still a thirsty car and will still cost a good chunk to insure and be a thief magnet.

Everyone's different I suppose but for me theres little point in buying a WRX. I guess I'm just speaking from what I have gone through myself, bought a WRX and have spent money modding the engine, brakes, suspension and still only ended up with what a sti would have given me in the first place. Don't get me wrong I've found a lot out about the car, which I knew little about when I made the purchase, but its cost me a hell of a lot to do it this way around.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:39 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

so you might aswell buy a diesel kia??...outpaces a wrx?!
Old 27 February 2008, 01:59 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

If for the looks, i'd go for the blobeye..... the bugeye looks like a toyota from the front.... loll ur choice anyways!!!!
Old 27 February 2008, 02:19 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a Prodrive style Sti in black. One of the best looking Imprezas ever IMO.
Old 27 February 2008, 02:31 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem6
so you might aswell buy a diesel kia??...outpaces a wrx?!

To be fair I'm just trying to give the chap who asked the question my opinion on whats what with regards to buying a subaru.

But to make things clear, a 2003 WRX produces about 215bhp and just under 300Nm of torque. A decent mondeo st TDCi with an off the shelf chip will make 180bhp and 440nm of torque. The subaru has to put its 215bhp through a 4wd system which loses a lot of its power, compared to only 2wd for the mondeo - so they end up putting similar bhp down through the wheels and the deisels make more torque lowwer down, meaning they are able to use that power for longer in gear.

I'm not saying the WRX is a poor car, I am saying that ford, VAG and BMW diesels will be just as quick as it, return better MPG, and be cheaper to insure and less of a target to thieves.

The sti is in a different league to the WRX if we are talking standard, unmodified cars.

I think its a little unrealistic to argue the standard WRX has blistering performance. As I have said there are pleanty of diesels out there that would comfortably stick with a WRX, and even a few that would be outright quicker.

As I said, I'm just trying to help the chap out, I'm not subaru bashing - I own a WRX after all Would do things differently if I was to go through it all again though.
Old 27 February 2008, 05:18 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said.^^^
Old 27 February 2008, 05:30 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said.^^^
Old 27 February 2008, 05:47 PM
RICH_97_TYPE_R
Scooby Newbie

well said
Old 27 February 2008, 10:59 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
To be fair I'm just trying to give the chap who asked the question my opinion on whats what with regards to buying a subaru.

But to make things clear, a 2003 WRX produces about 215bhp and just under 300Nm of torque. A decent mondeo st TDCi with an off the shelf chip will make 180bhp and 440nm of torque. The subaru has to put its 215bhp through a 4wd system which loses a lot of its power, compared to only 2wd for the mondeo - so they end up putting similar bhp down through the wheels and the deisels make more torque lowwer down, meaning they are able to use that power for longer in gear.

I'm not saying the WRX is a poor car, I am saying that ford, VAG and BMW diesels will be just as quick as it, return better MPG, and be cheaper to insure and less of a target to thieves.

The sti is in a different league to the WRX if we are talking standard, unmodified cars.

I think its a little unrealistic to argue the standard WRX has blistering performance. As I have said there are pleanty of diesels out there that would comfortably stick with a WRX, and even a few that would be outright quicker.

As I said, I'm just trying to help the chap out, I'm not subaru bashing - I own a WRX after all Would do things differently if I was to go through it all again though.
my bug wrx ppp is bad on fuel,expensive,loud etc etc....and i wouldn't change a thing!!!.. i see what you're saying about modern diesels though but they're more torque and no revs..kinda dull, but it would be nice to get more than 23mpg