Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

SMACS to ffestiniog

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 01:14 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMACS to ffestiniog

EVO magazine, if you don't already get it, I strongly recommend it.
The cars, the trips, the tests, all excellent journalism backed up by some of the best photos in a mag today.
One of which inspired our latest run out. The last edition had a group test of a Porche Carrera GT, 911 turbo and an EVO 9.
Track time at Bruntingthorpe, then up to EVO's favourite roads around and near the EVO TRIANGLE.
Page 98 in particular caught my eye, with a stunning shot of the 3 cars lined up under a cliff face, with the road cutting through and towards the camera.
Where is that I wondered?
So, speak to the man who will know, Carl555dbm knows those northern Welsh roads like the back of his hand, and then some!
One quick pm to Carl, and he was off, like a rat out of an aquaduct Barely 2 days passed before I recieved this in my mailbox:

The exact same place, well done Carl. Following on from that, a route was devised to take in the above road and photo oppurtunity.
Once planning was underway, it was decided that an early start would be the best way to go, so avoiding all the normal sunday morning drivers on those great Welsh roads.
So, 6am it was, and the first part of the group assembled this morning at PcWorld in Stockport, for our first let of the trip:
cw42, Martin Sti, Paulthejambo, Lord Bass and our newest member, with only 1 other meet to thier credit, Dave & Aileen.

After waiting for what seemed an age for Paul to finally arrive, but was in fact only around 23 seconds after 6am, we set off.
We operated a rolling tag along this morning, with Beefy joining first at Jnc 10 of the M56, then Moneys joining us at Jnc 14.
We'd lost John wrx, who we thought was going to be with Moneys, but a no-show for now. Not too worry, onward we go.
Nice steady pace along the M56, until the end and the route then headed along the A494 towards Ruthin, and our first cracking road of the day, the B5105. This is so typical of Welsh roads, as it has just about everything you could want:
NSL, fast sections, slow technical sections, up and down hills and along the valley floor sections
That road takes you nicely to the start of the infamous EVO TRIANGLE.
The road often used by the magazine to road test the cars. A quick pause for breath before the launch up the right side of the triangle:

Then onwards and upwards. Bearing in mind is wasn't even 8am yet, you can imagine how quiet the roads were, perfect!
Once at the top, time enough to take another snap:

Time to move on, and the run down the left leg of the triangle is a completly different road, much twistier, not as quick, and much more challenging, so the pause at the base near the A5 was well earned.
It was here that John wrx finally joined us, and we could hear him coming from Mold

Now all together for the final leg of my pilgramage, a quick blat down the A5 and left onto the B4407.
I've been on this road before, and it was all flooding back Barely one lane wide, very few passing places, high trees and shrubs on either side. Like driving down a wind tunnel! Me at the front with the rest of em biting at my heels behind.
Taking it steady, until I can get a good view of the road ahead. Just as that begins to happen, and the road opens out, the mist decends as we start to climb Once at the top, visibility is reduced somewhat, although never to any dangerous level, just not 20/20 anymore
Still we press on, sheep scattering in our wake, no traffic coming the other way, until at last, my goal is reached, and we cruise past the outcrop of rock from the magazine shoot
On to the end of the road, a quick regroup, and it's back up the road for me, on my own, daughter in the passenger seat, to the same spot again. Hazards on, out of the car, and the long walk up the road, over a fence and into a field with the sheep to get the shot in the bag:

Bit misty though But it proves I made it
Back to the car, and finding somewhere to turn around proved interesting but made it back to the group. Where now? Why, the EVO TRIANGLE of course, and the back road that runs through the reservoirs for good measure.
John wrx in front this time, using his local knowledge to lead the way. A right turn had the back runners missing it and charging off down the road, a quick call on the radio reeled them back in, then back onto the A5, then onwards back up the left leg of the EVO, and finally to the sign you don't want to see: ROAD CLOSED AHEAD!
NO!
Press on anyway, as those signs are never right are they? Unfortunatley in this case it was right

End of the line guys and gals, even as John wrx tries to see if he can swim round the closed road
Back the way we came then, drop back onto the EVO TRIANGLE, up to the top, down the right side, and back along the B5105 back into Ruthin.

One final stop for a photo:

A fantastic mornings run, great company and some top roads, nice and quiet, just how we like them. Big thanks to all who turned up today, hope you all had as good a time as me and my daughter
See you all on the next one

Last edited by cw42; 06 August 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06 August 2006, 01:17 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Films to follow sometime today
Old 06 August 2006, 01:23 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

looks like you had a good time

i like the last photo

i was hoping for some pics of trains tho
Old 06 August 2006, 01:57 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

excellent morning for a nice sedate drive on some of north wales best roads 190 miles in total and smoking disc,s but what a drive. thoroughly enjoyed by me and i think i suprised a few of you with just how quick and nimble my wagon actually is . thanks once again to cw42 and johnywrx
Old 06 August 2006, 05:59 PM
Zip Dave
Scooby Regular

Firstly would like to say thanks to all of you for making us feel so welcome on our first outing with SMACS.

Thanks for a great morning with great roads, good organisation can't wait for next one.

Regarding moneys smoking disc's smelt better than the burnt bacon on a normal boring sunday morning.

Thanks again to Chris
Old 06 August 2006, 08:14 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Your more than welcome dave & aileen, glad you enjoyed yourselves. Hope your move goes well, and see you on the next meeting

Thanks for all the comments guys, always fun to organise a good run
Old 07 August 2006, 08:10 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

FILMS DONE! Big job this time round too, as I got through a whole tape on sunday, and actually ran out by the time we got to the end of Llyn Aled!

I've split it into 4 films, for easier download and also to show how good the individual roads are:

1/ Ruthin-Cerrigydrudion 33.2 mb
2/ EVO TRIANGLE 36.5mb
3/ B4391-B4407 29mb
4/ A543-Llyn Aled 24.2mb

All right click save as, wmv files

ENJOY!
Old 07 August 2006, 11:08 AM
Dr.P
Scooby Regular

Superb footage again Chris seems you had a great drive out pity i was other wise engaged
Old 07 August 2006, 11:09 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

fantastic chris. that last road that led to the road closed was just brilliant
Old 07 August 2006, 04:27 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Ste, the whole of that road is on the vid pages of our website near the top, even better when you can go all the way through