Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Subaru Impreza STI - Track progress

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2020, 03:59 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza STI - Track progress

Started off as a standard STI, some standard brake, suspension and self mapping mods. First session to set my base.

I now need a big brake kit and swirl pot setup, this was the only videos i had which was on standard AD08's ( GOPro died during the slick runs).

Going to go the AP 6POT route and RC6 PAD setup.

I will keep a log of changes and the impact they have ie swirl pot, brakes, tyres, oil cooler etc
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 August 2020, 08:18 PM
johnoggy
Scooby Regular

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

looks like you had a good day
Old 20 August 2020, 09:11 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@johnoggy yea mate, car ran very smooth all day. the map is a safe 1.2bar as its all standard apart from FPR,Exhaust and FMIC.

I am currently reviewing brakes and think the AP 6poy setup with RC6 pads is the way to go so ill be ordering them next week for the next track day then post a video to see the difference.

Also i need to source a new fuel tank preferably that has a baffle setup in it and using original sender.
Old 24 August 2020, 07:15 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_MAXER
@johnoggy yea mate, car ran very smooth all day. the map is a safe 1.2bar as its all standard apart from FPR,Exhaust and FMIC.

I am currently reviewing brakes and think the AP 6poy setup with RC6 pads is the way to go so ill be ordering them next week for the next track day then post a video to see the difference.

Also i need to source a new fuel tank preferably that has a baffle setup in it and using original sender.
Investigate if it would be easier to fit a fuel swirl pot instead, with the OEM pump acting as a lift pump, and the swirl pot feeding a separate pump. Might be cheaper and easier
Old 24 August 2020, 09:05 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

yes i have been looking at this, swirl pot at filter location with a seperate pump after this.
Old 18 November 2020, 01:23 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

swirl pot and large Bosch 044 fitted and works like a charm, i run almost empty at a shakedown test on Monday and it was perfect.
The knocklink did flash and detects the det and fuel starvation but my Zeitronix ZT2 detects a drop in AFR just before the event which is good and the logs from it help massivly.
the car has also since been corner and cross weighted and geo setup, still understeers like **** but the below should help including the castor adjustment.

Geo is still really bad so i have alot of whiteline stuff ordered-
some vids of shakedown on Monday

what i ordered-

Old 18 November 2020, 11:44 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Do loads of track days in my V5

What geo settings did you go for?

Old 19 November 2020, 08:28 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 i have it corner weighted and all. setup for -1.5 front camber and -0.7 rear camber and 2mm toe in at rear. Running Tein coilovers (unsure of spring rate) with front 4 clicks from hardest and rear full hard. The above items from whiteline come tomorrow so i will fit for Monday and run a shakedown before i race again next Saturday. I have absolutely no feel after initial turn in(weight is on the front) once i go neutral and/or power it is ICE at the front. So antilift/castor + bump steer correction kit will help put the wheels into positive castor a bit as well as the really beneficial ARB on the rear.

I will be putting both ARBs on not just the rear so i will have to play with how hard to run them. Im thinking of running both the 22mm front and 24mm rear on the middle setting, any advice here?

Lets hope i finally get the frontend grip needed on the R888's and if its really dry get slicks on.
Old 19 November 2020, 08:33 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

1207kgs front weight 752 / rear 454 / cross weight 50.2%
Old 19 November 2020, 08:40 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

Old 19 November 2020, 10:19 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I assume thats an AP 6pot 356mm kit under 18's?

Fantastic build there. What do you have in terms of oil control? Baffled sump?
Old 19 November 2020, 10:56 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 i have it corner weighted and all. setup for -1.5 front camber and -0.7 rear camber and 2mm toe in at rear. Running Tein coilovers (unsure of spring rate) with front 4 clicks from hardest and rear full hard. The above items from whiteline come tomorrow so i will fit for Monday and run a shakedown before i race again next Saturday. I have absolutely no feel after initial turn in(weight is on the front) once i go neutral and/or power it is ICE at the front. So antilift/castor + bump steer correction kit will help put the wheels into positive castor a bit as well as the really beneficial ARB on the rear.

I will be putting both ARBs on not just the rear so i will have to play with how hard to run them. Im thinking of running both the 22mm front and 24mm rear on the middle setting, any advice here?

Lets hope i finally get the frontend grip needed on the R888's and if its really dry get slicks on.
Nice @GT_MAXER

What's your front toe? Your rear toe is good Im running similar but with -1.5 rear camber and -2.5 front, I'm running decent toe out front and the car is brilliant no understeer!

The anti lift will help A LOT imo

Just fitted bump steer correction to mine this week doing all the diff bushes and engine mounts as well, also gone adjustable arms at the rear as the bushes were gone in the original arms

If I was on a track day with you I'd tell you to experiment with softening the front dampers and less tyre pressure front

Would soften turn in but may gain grip mid and exit of the corner corner
Old 19 November 2020, 12:14 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

@GT_MAXER The cars coming along nicely mate! Nice to see the videos too, keep them coming.
Old 19 November 2020, 12:50 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 thank you matey.

i think the arbs will help, do you have them fitted?

I just cant wait to sort mid and exit turn, i loose all my time in hairpins and tight corners, my other vids on my youtube channel will show that also on a trackday in Kirkistown.
I have my front camber that agressive before Geo was done 2weeks ago, that camber didnt make a difference for me so for tyre wear and coverage we adjusted to less.

after i fit all the above i will need to then look at rear camber bolts potentially depending on how it acts.
Old 19 November 2020, 01:12 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 thank you matey.

i think the arbs will help, do you have them fitted?

I just cant wait to sort mid and exit turn, i loose all my time in hairpins and tight corners, my other vids on my youtube channel will show that also on a trackday in Kirkistown.
I have my front camber that agressive before Geo was done 2weeks ago, that camber didnt make a difference for me so for tyre wear and coverage we adjusted to less.

after i fit all the above i will need to then look at rear camber bolts potentially depending on how it acts.
Hmmm

I must admit I've tried a few different camber settings and not a massive difference

Wouldn't worry about tyre wear too much scoobs (at least for me) seem to be very gentle on the tyres

It's toe that's done the most for mine. I've run parallel and moderately aggressive toe out on the front the difference was crazy

Ive run toe in and a toe out rear set up as well

Toe out rear was over steer madness on turn in, mid and exit

But was very hard to control

Best set up by far for mine has been toe in rear toe out front

Yes I have the same arbs front and rear mid setting rear soft at the front, have all the other bits you've bought as well ha

Got BC HM coilovers as well , definitely haven't taken advantage of the compression and rebound settings yet! That's something I want to learn about

​​

Last edited by DDS789; 19 November 2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 19 November 2020, 01:31 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 thank you mate, i hope to get a shakedown done before the big day next saturday, i just hope it stays dry so i can feel the grip. my word it would be nice to have frontal grip, i pass things after chicanes or on straights as ive good exit speed etc but to find them right behind me as i understeer my way to the grass lol..

maybe harrys laptimer will no longer show me red in these areas.

I just posted up asking the arb setting questions but i see you have it answered above, perfect pal.. ill also look at sorting my toe out at front and keep the 2mm toe in at rear before the trackday.

have you any vids @DDS789
Old 19 November 2020, 01:34 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
I assume thats an AP 6pot 356mm kit under 18's?

Fantastic build there. What do you have in terms of oil control? Baffled sump?
yes big kit under the 18;s and just about fit. i run with very good and probably the best CL RC6 pads.. amazing and best money ive spent yet and im still standard engine etc.

oil control is the mocal massive radiator and thermo plate feed with anodised lines all heat wrapped.

next is the baffled sump /plate which ill order from somewhere??? and put in during xmas.

Also in my new fuel tank i put some baffle form in the opposite belly to the primary walbro fuel pump.

I can literally run near empty now and my walbro supplys the swirl pot and bosch still have plenty of suppy to the rails.
Old 19 November 2020, 01:45 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

Old 19 November 2020, 02:30 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

yes big kit under the 18;s and just about fit. i run with very good and probably the best CL RC6 pads.. amazing and best money ive spent yet and im still standard engine etc.

oil control is the mocal massive radiator and thermo plate feed with anodised lines all heat wrapped.

next is the baffled sump /plate which ill order from somewhere??? and put in during xmas.

Also in my new fuel tank i put some baffle form in the opposite belly to the primary walbro fuel pump.

I can literally run near empty now and my walbro supplys the swirl pot and bosch still have plenty of suppy to the rails.
Get a baffled sump in before running slicks. Long bends pull the oil away from the pick up in std sumps. Get in touch with Alyn at AS Performance, he will be able to sort you one.
Old 19 November 2020, 02:44 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

lost my previous post there. thanks i ran slicks before @LewisScoob and i know i was worried with the G i was pulling in the hairpin. ill contact alyn, is there a contact here for him? also i assume its the baffled plate setup will be ok?

G
Old 19 November 2020, 03:03 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

lost my previous post there. thanks i ran slicks before @LewisScoob and i know i was worried with the G i was pulling in the hairpin. ill contact alyn, is there a contact here for him? also i assume its the baffled plate setup will be ok?

G
0191 410 3770
Old 19 November 2020, 03:07 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@AS Performance @1509joe thanks ill call them today/tomorrow
Old 19 November 2020, 03:32 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 how much toe out at front also?
Old 19 November 2020, 03:46 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Alyn will tell you better but you'd be better with a twin scroll sump and then baffled which would require a dipstick and reinforced suction/lift pipe.
Old 19 November 2020, 04:14 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Plates/trays prevent oil going to the heads, which is an issue but less so compared to keeping a good depth of oil around the pickup pipe as baffled sumps do.

Given what you've spent on the other mods, unless you're planning a rebuild soon you'd be better spending money on the sump
Old 19 November 2020, 04:50 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@LewisScoob no im all for that, i mean the baffled plate will be ok with the baffled sump or do the go hand in hand. anyway ill call him and get ordered.
Old 19 November 2020, 10:32 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

@LewisScoob no im all for that, i mean the baffled plate will be ok with the baffled sump or do the go hand in hand. anyway ill call him and get ordered.
when I asked RCM about running both they recommended one or the other. The reason they gave was running them together could restrict flow back to the pickup area.

I went for the baffled sump on that basis. Plus it has a port for returning catchcan oil.
Old 20 November 2020, 12:00 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

@DDS789 how much toe out at front also?
@GT_MAXER
Will have to check but was a similar number to the rear

Maybe 1.5 toe out

Did you say what you're running on the front?

Also my mate does the videos there's 3 of us that do the track days in 3 cars can see some footage here, only really started doing the videos like this this year, get into the videos a bit for fast footage

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSYdPQ1qc8j2XmAcWjg4eFA

I struggled at croft as it was boiling hot and the car didn't like it at all, I was quickest at blyton

Last edited by DDS789; 20 November 2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 20 November 2020, 12:10 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
Plates/trays prevent oil going to the heads, which is an issue but less so compared to keeping a good depth of oil around the pickup pipe as baffled sumps do.

Given what you've spent on the other mods, unless you're planning a rebuild soon you'd be better spending money on the sump

Been running mine with no issues with an oil scraper and baffle plate with standard pick up

But it also depends on the tracks your visiting and how fast you are as well

From what I know there's a couple of southern England tracks with specific corners that are engine killers

I mainly visit blyton, cadwell, croft, donnington, Anglesey, and nurburgring and have had no issues

Doesn't mean I'm not looking into oil control though ha haa

If I was to do the least extra I'd go twinscroll sump and the WRC pickup pickup

Bare in mind my engine is forged and 10 years old now so it doesn't owe me much! I think next build will a 2.5 engine for the extra torque and spool
Old 20 November 2020, 09:08 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

i will be going with the twin scroll sump from Alyn, he is to email me today.10day lead time so wont be here for racing next week.

@DDS789 i will get a watch of these vids now

My front is neautral no toe yet. but i might go a small toe out before next week, 1degree would be approx 4mm i think so a bit less than that.

early next year i have to upgrade the turbo to something still focused on no lag and good power delivery so maybe 18g billet suit my rev range and requirements or even 16g. who does these as whole units ready to ship?

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza STI - Track progress