Back from the brink. My GF8 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2015, 07:09 PM
JDMGF8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the brink. My GF8 WRX

Hi folks,
This is my first time having any sort of subaru so go easy on me. After chatting to the garage next door, I couldn't bare to see him scrap the GF8 he had wasting away outside.Name:  DSC_0042_zpsorkwq3kv.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  184.2 KB

As it's only on 70k (unsure if it's km or miles but either way it's fairly low) and has the potential to be a decent Impreza. I've known the owner for 10+ years and since bringing it off the road he's done the cambelt etc and installed a new uprated clutch which is a huge plus for me. So I decided to have it off him and we've agreed to spend some time getting it back on the road including a respray (obviously). So with that in mind the immediate things we can see are the brakes and the exhaust downpipe (which he has already given me, it's a 3" stainless pipe which goes with the rest of the system he's already put on) plus I've opted to do an oil/filter change, possibly another cambelt to be safe and renew the fluids.
Name:  DSC_0062_zpsjraqj5hw.jpg
Size:  211.0 KB

Safe to say the breaks have seen better days so I set to removing the calipers etc and renewing the pads and discs. The pads had meat left but looks can be deceiving
Name:  DSC_0064_zpsvcqjdxqs.jpg
Size:  748.7 KB
Both front sets crumbled and fell out :/

I also opted to wire brush (drill attachment) the disc guards, carriers and calipers ready for painting as a preventative measure. The rear carrier bolts were less compliant so I left those for another day soaking in penetrative fluid. Instead I decided to do an oil and filter change with original filter and some semi synth 10w40 . The oil that came out was thick and gloopy and stank, so was definitely a good idea.

I'll get more pics and update as I go. Subarus are a huge learning curve for me as I've only had 'normal' 4cyls such as hondas, v dubs and cliosports. Plus my only experience of boost is a mk4 golf gti so this should be interesting. Very excited to get stuck in and see her back to glory. If anyone has any pointers or subaru newbie knowledge please tell me, especially if you've done a restoration yourself
Old 28 June 2015, 08:57 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Cool mate keep us posted will be nice to see what you turn this into. Keep pushing and get another Impreza back on the road
Old 28 June 2015, 09:06 PM
JDMGF8
Scooby Newbie

Thanks bud. It's a completely new scenario to me, restoring a car and one that has a boxer engine instead of a traditional 4cyl but you don't learn unless you get stuck in.
Old 28 July 2015, 08:44 PM
JDMGF8
Scooby Newbie

Thought I'd do a quick update. Haven't had much time to spare on the scooby but managed to fit the new Gates cambelt kit including all new idlers, tensioner bearing (also tested the tensioner, it's the older style one) and water pump (completely forgot the make but its a Japanese one so hopefully it lives up to the test, I'd have thought so being part of a gates kit). Only done a couple timing belt before on much simpler engines and the quad cam was daunting at first, but after just jumping into it, it actually is an easy job and having everything at the front makes it a breeze, made sure to time it all perfectly before I turned the key. Unfortunately, the water pump was leaking badly so had to take everything back off, I renewed the gasket with a genuine one as I've read aftermarket can be crappy? Also opted to renew the thermostat with genuine and also used grey rtv to seal the housing and pump, no more leaks! I also opted to renew the oil crossover line as that was heavily corroded, again genuine part. Everything bolted back together and the car fired straight away which bought a big smile to my face. No leaks or knocks or anything (I was anxious as I'd not heard it before buying it) and comes up to temp perfectly. Next will be the dp (the last bottom nut is giving me a headache! Suggestions welcome) then it's ready for spraying. Will get some pics when the laptop on fixed.
Old 28 July 2015, 10:14 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done on saving another classic!

Check for rear arch rust as if your going to the expense of painting you may as well sort at the same time if needs be.

Look forward to seeing the final pics!
Old 28 July 2015, 11:04 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pictures! We what pictures!!!!
Old 29 July 2015, 08:50 PM
JDMGF8
Scooby Newbie

The car is sound as far as rust is concerned I've scoured the arches inside out and can't find so much as a bubble of rust. Doors are fine as is underneath. I'll do a better update on the weekend once I've fitted the dp and prepped the car for spraying
Old 09 August 2015, 08:56 PM
JDMGF8
Scooby Newbie

So after an epic battle with the bottom dp nut, 3 cutting wheels on a dremel and some blows with a crow bar later, I got the dp off! I'll now need to back the stud out and replace which will be fun. Also ordered bungs for the lambda sensor and post cat sensor. The dp I have is a magnex one I believe and has a precat lambda hole.