Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

my new bugeye progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2015, 11:20 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new bugeye progress thread

So after 4 years without an impreza, I'm now soon to be back in the driving seat

Bought a 2001 project car off a chap over in Torquay. He's had it 18 months, but been unable to quite finish it and get it back on the road. He bought it as an empty shell With 140k on it, however body work and interior was absolutely mint.

He got a reconditioned engine built and fitted by a guy at sw subaru. This included all new belts and gaskets, including cambelt and water pump. New clutch, and sti manifold. The plan is to get an mot on her, then funds permitting start some light to moderate tuning and mods.

So far I've added
new maf,
new lambda sensor,
two oil catch cans,
have morettes and sti replica spoiler on the way
The front brakes were seized getting it off the trailer, so in the process of overhauling them.

Yet to arrive and fit lambda, fit crankcase oil catch can, once I work out how it's going to get plumbed up

Grind / sand down the calipers ready fresh paint and new seals. Get a new tyre, and hopefully the other flat is repairable.

Fix the rear light clusters, they seem to be leaking water around the seal. And the bonnet catch so it can properly be closed for the first time in probably a year! So how she is at the moment..

One oil catch can plumbed up

After MUCH fun and games got all the seized pistons out the calipers.

That's it for tonight, next ill get calipers ready for paint and painted

Last edited by Style; 17 February 2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 19 February 2015, 11:49 AM
steevasaurus
Scooby Newbie

oooooh... pretty!

Good effort! Nice to see people putting a bit of elbow grease in! Maybe it's just me, but the facebook groups I'm in just seem full of people giving up and stripping the old girls for parts!
Old 19 February 2015, 01:13 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

good man - spread the bug love!

The rear light clusters can be a pain, i got some foam off ebay to make a new seal which has helped and I plan to go back with the non-setting mastic and finish the job.

could also be the spoiler or the bootlid leaking too - depends if you have a visible crack in the headlight or not and where the drips are landing.

I remember those pics from the image thread challenge - looks like your on the right track. An ebay turbo intake pipe wouldn't cost much and would get rid of those nasty lookin blanked take off lines if you wanted to make it a bit more blingy.

If you can, when fitting the new lambda stick it in the downpipe just behind the turbo (stock position on classics and twinscrolls) you'll get a better reading when on boost which helps with tuning.
Old 04 March 2015, 12:25 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

got a lambda boss on order, hopefully will come today. Going to try and weld it in myself just behind turbo in downpipe as bludgod suggested

The bonnet wouldn't close due to about a pound of grease and sludge inside the catch. Nice clean job of boiling that, cleaning it down and then regreasing

This was after I got crap loads of it out. Guessing previous attempts to help it close involved putting tonnes more grease in there :haha:

Got it clean and refitted and it now closes perfectly

got a new tyre fitted and the slow flat repaired.

Brakes have been finished, couldnt get the new rubber guards to stay on the caliper, the new round spring clips were weak as anything, the ones that came off were better, thrn I read in here about newer brakes not having them as they trap water and muck inside, so left them off. no pics yet but are now fitted to the car.

Have a 2.2k resistor on order for the edg delete, and when the o2 sensor boss arrives will have a go at welding into downpipe..

Hoping the eml will go out after these two, got a elm327 bluetooth scanner on order eitherway
Old 04 March 2015, 12:29 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

good man, try and get the o2 boss in pointing upwards a bit like these two:

stops water collecting on it and ruining the sensor.
Old 04 March 2015, 12:39 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Morettes been masked off and painted satin matt black. Not sure if I should lacquer it on top or not? They are silver underneath the masked off bit

Now I got this spoiler off of zak on here, cheers buddy but as discussed, parcel force managed to be massive bellends with it. Snapped it completely in two places. Have a claim with them, should find out in 8-8-10 days. Well annoying as its the perfect colour and everything.

Old 04 March 2015, 12:41 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
good man, try and get the o2 boss in pointing upwards a bit like these two:

stops water collecting on it and ruining the sensor.
Ah, I see what you mean, so the wire end is more up in the air, and the sensor itself pointing downwards so water in the exhaust will drip off it?

Or have I got that backwards, and want the wire end pointing downwards more, so water rolls down the downpipe?

Probably the second sounds more sensible actually

Last edited by Style; 04 March 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04 March 2015, 01:05 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yeh you've got it right first time mr, sensor point down into the pipe (when installed on the car) and anything down to around the 3 o'clock position but slightly higher is better.

also unless you want that paint chipping off I'd be sticking either more coats on or a few coats of clear on top of the morettes
Old 04 March 2015, 04:48 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

looks good, shame about the spoiler, got the same one on mine
Old 04 March 2015, 05:02 PM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

very nice bug, top job on the brakes they look fresh ..

shame about the spoiler would have looked good, hopefully it's repairable hope all goes well with the claim mate, let me know the outcome
Old 04 March 2015, 09:02 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

bad luck with the spoiler chap
Old 04 March 2015, 09:23 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I know gutted about the spoiler. thin, they will at least give me my money back. I wonder is there any way to fix it? Don't really want to spray the whole thing again if i can. but tried to separate the two halfs, but the bolts were seized pretty good. Got two out then, Drilled one but managed to snap a stud extractor in there too.

Don't think they will be separating if anyone suggests that To make a repair easy. Might just see what comp they give me and take it fromantic there, unless anyone can suggest a easy fix

Yea good idea on the morettes, I agree, will be getting some lacquer on there to protect them from chipping
Old 09 March 2015, 12:54 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

Well, got the o2 sensor fitted. Cut a hole in the heat shield and then drilled and grinded a hole and put the boss in and the welded it Up.

However, due to my concerns about the wire not being long enough, I fitted it on the near side of the downpipe. This is now very close to the bell housing. Too close.. made me mad at first!

actually had to grind about 40 mm of thread off the boss and carefully start the thread again, with some gentle use of the grinder to open it up. Took a while but worth it, happy with the result. Once fitted the sensor has about 50mm or more of clearance now between bell housing, so please with that, but was an absolute Ballache to do.

Next up, I've ordered a tactrix open port cable, going to apply the tgv delete myself, hopefully with the help of bludgod, who as I've seen from rom raiders (if it's the same guy, really knows his stuff!)
Old 09 March 2015, 10:21 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

AHAH! - I believe I just left a lengthy reply to you on the romraider forum, happy to help if I can!
Old 09 March 2015, 12:13 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Style

Brakes have been finished, couldnt get the new rubber guards to stay on the caliper, the new round spring clips were weak as anything, the ones that came off were better, thrn I read in here about newer brakes not having them as they trap water and muck inside, so left them off. no pics yet but are now fitted to the car.

I wouldnt have left the rubber boots off tbh, they provide a little more dust/muck protection. When I did mine, I used new spring clips and they fitted fine. Used Bigg Red and jap import parts for my bits.

Last edited by brendy76; 09 March 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09 March 2015, 12:50 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

i had spring trouble too but it turned out i hadn't properly cleaned the mating surface around the piston where the spring sits. Once you get it properly cleaned up they will stay on fine
Old 09 March 2015, 08:48 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Ah, yea that would be why. Stupidly painted them too, which wouldn't of helped. Hey, just saw your response on rom raider, thanks, that looks fantastic. If you were a bit closer I would, get you a beer for all the help you've already given me! I'm over in bournemouth area.

Wanting the tactrix cable to hurry up and arrive now..

yea looks like you got oem spring clips and boots. I've got some other cheaper brand ones I think.. Doh., the spring clips are only slightly better than paperclips! will have a look to source some of correct clips, and get them fitted properly. Are they stainless pistons? They look a bit different to the ones I removed
Old 09 March 2015, 08:55 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

No I stuck with plated pistons. they did ok for 12 years, doubt I'll have it in another 12 or will have moved onto brembos.
Old 09 March 2015, 09:01 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

I went for stainless ones given that only 1 out of 3 ppistons was actually working on each side I got my kit from scoobyworx - they will do the fitting for you as well - drop him an email with what you need I'm sure they will hook you up.
Old 09 March 2015, 09:05 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

some aftermarket rubber boots I have seen don't have the little track for the spring to sit in. I ended up reusing the oe ones.
Old 09 March 2015, 10:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

my new booties didnt have the track but they remain in place by some kind of witchcraft.
I used a little screwdriver as kind of a chisel to scoop/scrape all the junk off around the lip surface and that helped them stay put.
Old 12 July 2015, 12:15 AM
YODI
Scooby Regular

Any updates?

Did the 2,2k resistor fix your eml light issue?