Notices

Rear Leds for Blobeye Sti?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2013, 08:19 PM
kwan88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Leds for Blobeye Sti?

I can't seem to find this information but i want to change my rear bulbs to led. i know that the brake ones are 7443 or 7440 but do choose smd or normal leds? also how many led 9, 13 ?

also do i need a resistor and can't seems be part of the bulb to make it easily? i just want a easy job with no soldering?

regards.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:37 PM
ScrappyDooDoo
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
Not entirely sure if the Blob Eye has canbus - i'm pretty sure my Hawk Eye does. One way of testing / knowing is if a bulb goes out do you get a warning in the dash or an alarm sound ? - if so - you have canbus.
Old 20 August 2013, 01:21 AM
MichaelW
Scooby Regular

I tried fitting LED bulbs in the back of my Bug. I tried about 4 different brands and had problems with all of them. Some melted the minute i put them in, some would work on side lights but not brake lights and the ones i finally got working you couldn't really see the difference between the side lights and the brake lights. I ended up reverting back to normal bulbs with LED indicators, although I do need to fit a resistor to them. My advice would be don't bother, but if you really want to then use expensive bulbs with as many LEDs as possible.
Old 20 August 2013, 08:41 PM
ScrappyDooDoo
Scooby Newbie

Thats very true, some LEDs just wont cut through the red lenses and show very little difference but most of the problems you mention are most likely due to them being front facing leds. You see in the rear lense (and front too) you have reflectors. If you buy forward facing leds (doesnt matter how many) the light will omit outwards and not reflect off the reflectors. I would recommend full 360 degree leds if using as stop / stop & tail and usually something beefy like CREE. They are expensive but well worth the money. If you had to fit resistors you have canbus. You're better off buying the canbus error free leds with built in resistors. Hope this helps.