Notices

Water in front light

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2013, 11:27 AM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water in front light

After noticing that my dip lights werent working I snooped around in the lights and noticed a lot of water inside the light unit. I didn't notice any water in the general area so I'm guessing that it has seeped in through the seals. Is this possible? The ballast is shot so I need a new one and I'm guessing that the water is the cause. The bulbs are fine. Any help much appreciated.
Old 10 June 2013, 12:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What car, what model, what year?

You mention ballast, so is it a JDM with OE HID lights?

It could be the lights themselves, the seal from clear lens to rear parts can go, or be badly made. You need to remove them, check it and reseal with a sealant of your choice, Sika Flex, TigerSeal, or Carafax** would be my choice, NOT silicone. (It doesn't like the movement and constant immersion).

**Carafax: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

The above is brilliant stuff, doesn't ever go hard, and seals like a good'un. Best stuff for rear lights, spoilers etc etc.

You may also have a crack in the clear lens, or in the rear, again, removal and careful checking will find it.

Or it could be as simple as one of the rear seals out of place or damaged.

Best way to deal with it is to remove the light, find out why it's getting in, then cure it, tip the water out as best as poss, leave in a warm dry place, bulb out, bulb-holder upwards, for as long as poss, refit.

If you can get hold of any silica gel dessicant, (the little bags that come with cameras, and stuff, says "do not eat" on the bag) dry it out in an oven for a couple of hours, tie it to a length of string and place inside the light with the bulb back in, for about 4 hours before removing and refitting the light.

One of my rear lights got so bad I dried it using twists of paper towel held by a 10" long length of solid core cable, (ring main stuff, one core). It took me over an hour and FOUR whole paper towels to get it out. Then I left it to dry in the sunshine. Next day it was full again...I had failed to spot the tiny crack on the top surface.....:mad;

HTH
Old 10 June 2013, 08:28 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Yo I've got a 2005 Hawkeye. I think I'm gonna get it off and have a proper look around and reseal it with that carafax of yours. Also I'm not gonna be jetwashing anymore as that could cause a problem. I've never had a problem with other cars but have been advised in the past to avoid them. Cheers buddy.
Old 10 June 2013, 08:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Let us know how it goes.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:32 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

So I removed the light and had loads of water inside. I couldn't tell where it was coming in from as all looks fine, no visible cracks etc. I decided to split the lens off the unit and reseal it. Man, what a mission! It took the best part of the morning and I tried my best to remove the old sealant which looked good imv. It was still sticky and had a continuous seal around the unit. I stuck it back with tiger but for the life of me I couldn't get it back together properly. After getting it all back together, after 2 days its full of water again. (Pissed off now) so I source another light off ebay and should tr and fit it next week. Hope this sorts out the problem. The moral of the story - earn more money...