jdm central locking spare key?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 10:41 AM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jdm central locking spare key?

Hello

I've got a JDM MY2000 WRX (classic), impoerted from new apparently. it had a cobra alarm/immobilizer fitted at some point. Currently the cobra fob deals with the alarm etc and also does central unlocking but not locking. Central locking (and unlocking) is done by a single button on the key.

I'd like to get a spare key but don't know how to go about it.

I'm guessing that the central unlocking used to be done by the cobra fob but now somehow is not working. Any idea whether it's worth getting this fixed and then just getting a normal key, or trying instead to get another key which which will do central locking?

Which would be easier/cheaper?

thanks
dave
Old 28 November 2012, 11:55 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There wasn't a remote key for the classic. In fact, I'm pretty sure your import will be a non transponder type key. So you can get a straight copy done at any key cutting place.

The UK classics has a Sigma fob for locking and unlocking, but imports had to have a CAt1 alarm fitting to pass the SVA. So thats perhaps what the cobra alarm is for.

This doesn't sound like your usual setup, as you stated you have a key with a button on. So its not standard. Could you get a picture? or is it this type:
Old 29 November 2012, 01:15 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here it is:

it is a subaru key, writing is on the other side.

So does this mean the key cutting place can replicate the unlocking function of my current key, if I provide them with the appropriate blank, like the one pictured in your post?

Last edited by davoid; 29 November 2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: bad photo link
Old 29 November 2012, 04:20 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never seen one like that before. I was under the impression allthe JDM keys were just a solid key, with no button.
I put that picture up because thats the only Subaru single button key I've seen, and that from a newage.

You won't be able to get a straight copy from a key cutters, that unlocks remotely. You'll even have trouble getting it sorted by Subaru UK.

Your best bet is to just get a copy key done. Then another Cobra fob, and have it looked into why it doesn't lock the car from the alarm fob.