Notices

What headlight bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2012, 07:49 PM
Jamieee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What headlight bulb?

Not sure if this is in the correct section, apoligies if not.

Right, Iv got 330ci 2004 with the projector (non xenon) style lense headlight. Without buying expensive xenon replacements, Im trying to achieve the white headlight look, not the standard yellow bulb colour.

I bought some Osram Cool Blue Hyper white 5000 Kelvin, but there too blue. I want the white effect not blue or yellow.

Now Iv seen black style cabs, saxo boy racers and today even an old f-reg clapped out mini with these pure white headlights. What bulbs do we think is being used here to achieve this? Any ideas...... Pictures welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old 10 July 2012, 08:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Get the Hid kit a big difference. Ssdd motorsport I recommend
Old 10 July 2012, 08:40 PM
Jamieee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Get the Hid kit a big difference. Ssdd motorsport I recommend

I only want to replace the bulb, little money as possible. Plus the effect Iv seen on these other motors is the look im after. Cheers anyway.
Old 10 July 2012, 09:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Xenon kits in halogen lamp reflectors are crap, look crap and do nothing but cause glare and blinds on coming drivers. Plus they won't pass MOT. Best halogen bulbs are Philips Blue Vision if you want white, my brother has them in his 320i and they look pretty white.
Old 10 July 2012, 10:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Xenon kits in halogen lamp reflectors are crap, look crap and do nothing but cause glare and blinds on coming drivers. Plus they won't pass MOT. Best halogen bulbs are Philips Blue Vision if you want white, my brother has them in his 320i and they look pretty white.
he said he has projector lamps ......
Old 10 July 2012, 11:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

E
Originally Posted by Ant
he said he has projector lamps ......
Thanks Ant, I know, was merely pointing out that the kits are sh!te and won't pass MOT. I see a Focus driver and has them every morning without fail even when it's sunny.
Old 10 July 2012, 11:31 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Jamieee. You could not be in a more wrong section if you tried.

HTH.

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2012, 11:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Our old e39 (angel eye halogen H7 projectors) has Philips X-treme vision bulbs, and indeed they are much whiter than conventional halogens, but not blue like the crappy fake "xenon" effect one.. They were much brighter than the original bulbs which had basically worn out and gone very dull/yellow, and notably brighter and whiter than a set of new standard H7s.

Yes Halogen bulbs do wear out and lose their brightness and give a more yellow light as they age.

Don't go for any other fancy Philips branded bulb, I tried their vison plus bulbs beforehand and they weren't sny better than a new set of regular halogen bulbs.

The problem is now the Angel eyes look too yellow, and LED retrofits are too blue

FYi: OEM HIDs are never in the blue spectrum (only aftermarket). Their colour temperature is usually around 4300K which is a very slightly warm-white and the brightest colour temp you'll get. So I don't get why people keep going for higher colour temps (6000K+)as the more blue the light is, the less we can see it, as our eyes are less sensitive to higher colour temperature (blue) light

Also worn out HID bulbs get bluer (and dimmer ) as they age.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 July 2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: :D
Old 11 July 2012, 01:05 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Our old e39 (angel eye halogen H7 projectors) has Philips X-treme vision bulbs, and indeed they are much whiter than conventional halogens, but not blue like the crappy fake "xenon" effect one.. They were much brighter than the original bulbs which had basically worn out and gone very dull/yellow, and notably brighter and whiter than a set of new standard H7s.

Yes Halogen bulbs do wear out and lose their brightness and give a more yellow light as they age.

Don't go for any other fancy Philips branded bulb, I tried their vison plus bulbs beforehand and they weren't sny better than a new set of regular halogen bulbs.

The problem is now the Angel eyes look too yellow, and LED retrofits are too blue

FYi: OEM Xenons are never in the blue spectrum (only aftermarket). Their colour temp is usually around 4300K which is a very slightly warm-white and the brightest colour temp you'll get. So I don't get why people keep going for higher colour temps (6000K+)as the more blue the light is, the less we can see it, as our eyes are less sensitive to higher colour temperature (blue) light

Also worn out HID bulbs get bluer (and dimmer ) as they age.
My god, Ali. Even geeks facepalm when you start posting about stuff like this.
Old 11 July 2012, 01:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The devil finds work for idle hands.

(plus keyboard, computer and internet connection)

Old 11 July 2012, 10:05 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ali is doing my job here. Leave him alone. Nothing to see here, move on please.