Notices

wiring conversion from hell!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 06:02 AM
tenchuuu
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring conversion from hell!!

Hello from America, I hope those of you in the land of easy-to-come-by RHD Impreza's can help!

I have an American 1993 Impreza converted to a RHD WRX, was running up until a couple years ago on 95 wiring and motor. Long story short, it all needs to be replaced. I picked up another bulkhead harness, and another motor, and i've got the bulkhead harness 75% installed, and have ran into some issues!

I am currently attempting to swap over my wiring bulkhead. It appears (with some conversation and picture swapping with Supermoose) that I have gotten a SUPER old (~1992) bulkhead harness. And while MOST of the plugs I need are here, some are not. Keep in mind this harness is about 75% installed, and the old harness is only good for parts.

Heres where I realized the differences:

Old bulkhead had 3 main grey plugs that connected to engine harness. One coming through firewall to back of engine. 2 coming through fender under engine fuse box to side of engine.

New bulkhead has only the 2 wires coming from under engine fuse box.

Where the old bulkhead harness came through the firewall with 3rd main grey engine harness plug, it also had this 6 pin transmission plug:
(dark grey is transmission connector, light grey is 3rd engine plug (OLD BULKHEAD))

That connected to top of transmission here:

New bulkhead does not have EITHER of these plugs.

Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? Wiring diagrams? Anything that would help? I'm sure there are more differences that I haven't noticed yet. I haven't even gotten the motor in the car yet. I'm thinking I am going to have to cut that transmission/engine plug off the old bulkhead and splice to new bulkhead, but I would like a diagram to know where these wires run.

After further inspection, this is what appears to be my new bulkheads version of the above 2 connectors. Instead of a 6 wire trans plug, it has a 4. Instead of a 8 wire (in 12 slot connector) plug for engine, it has (2) 3 wire connectors and (1) 1 wire connector. This:

Here is the only diagram I could find, though it appears this is for an even NEWER GC, as this diagram shows a VSS, whereas mine is cable.

So, for "B92" (trans plug) on OLD bulkhead I had the following wires (tab facing up, looking into side of connector that wires enter):

Black/Yellow || Light Green/Yellow || Red White
Brown/Yellow |....| Black/Red |....| Green/Black

And on the new bulkhead (same orientation):

Black/Yellow || Light Green/Yellow
Brown/Yellow | Black/Red

And for the engine plug "B93", old bulkhead same orientation:
open || Red (with silver dots?) | Cream | open
cream | ......... Green ........... | Black | open
Grey ..| . . . . . .Grey . . . . . . .| Grey | open

And new connectors:

Dark Grey connector:
Grey | Black | Cream

Light Grey connector:
White | Cream | Black

Single wire connector:
Cream or possibly white (hard to tell)

Possibly this could help someone help me? I have no clue, but I am trying to put forth as much effort as possible to make it as easy as possible for someone to lead me in the right direction.
Old 24 April 2012, 09:36 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

cant help u directly, but u should find a wiring diagram here ---

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

or here --

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...d-updated.html