Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2011, 10:43 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem

Hi all,

Fitted some aftermarket headlights as cheap replacements for my OEM ones until I had the time to refurb them properly... TBH it probably would have saved me the trouble to just refurb the OEM ones in the first place and putthem back in...

More problems... I've had no end of trouble with replacements as they were filling up with water when it rained. As it turns out I managed to re-seal them both, but I put the new ones back in instead of the OEM ones as the OEMs had some terrible milky lenses from the condensation.

Now I have a new problem, I was adjusting the beam height manually and then the main driving light on the near side switched to a very dull glow and the full beam came on on both sides but again, with a very dark glow. checked all the connections for shorting but found nothing. I'm trying to establish whether it's the units at fault, or the car. I'm hoping it's the units...

Longshot, I know but anyone else had a similar problem and can suggest something I could try?
Old 05 June 2011, 08:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try the fuses under the bonnet, there is one that causes that effect, but I can't remember which one.

Milky lenses? inside, or out? Polish with toothpaste, then Meguiers Plast-X.

Headlights can be split by heating in a slow oven, around 150 degrees for five minutes, then pulled apart. Don't forget to remove bulbs and any clips first
Old 05 June 2011, 02:44 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Try the fuses under the bonnet, there is one that causes that effect, but I can't remember which one.

Milky lenses? inside, or out? Polish with toothpaste, then Meguiers Plast-X.

Headlights can be split by heating in a slow oven, around 150 degrees for five minutes, then pulled apart. Don't forget to remove bulbs and any clips first
Thanks mate, the problem was exactly that... I made a schoolboy error and checked the wrong fuse last night. I checked them all this morning and found the culprit; Doh!

The lenses are milky inside can I still apply the tip you've posted on the inside of the lense?

I've already had to split them to fix the condensation problem but I did 90 degrees for 15 mins. Then I used generous amounts of windscreen sealant to ensure the moisture didn't come back. I was gutted that they looked shyte afterwards as the leaks were cured. I even painted the crome inserts black but the lenses ruined it(not the reflective inserts though).

I'll have a go at restoring them back to their former glory soon. Got a new oven so I'll have to do it when the wife's out for the day.

Cheers
Old 05 June 2011, 04:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, you can do the insides the same way.

DO be aware that windscreen sealant isn't the right stuff for sealing lights, and MAY have caused the fogging you have got.

I re-used the old glue, then went round the whole light lens/back join with Carafax grey, a non-setting mastic used on caravans. It's the stuff for seating rear lights etc, costs about £5 off e-bay.
Old 05 June 2011, 08:14 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes, you can do the insides the same way.

DO be aware that windscreen sealant isn't the right stuff for sealing lights, and MAY have caused the fogging you have got.

I re-used the old glue, then went round the whole light lens/back join with Carafax grey, a non-setting mastic used on caravans. It's the stuff for seating rear lights etc, costs about £5 off e-bay.
OK Cheers for that; I'll be sure to get some.