Notices

2002 STi headlight condensation

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2010, 12:39 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 STi headlight condensation

Tonight when I got home from work I noticed my drivers side headlight has condensation inside it and now has caused streaks inside the cluster.

Whats the possible cause?
A bulb not seated correctly?
A crack in the casing of the head lamp itself (couldn't see any cracks on the outside)

Was going to get the light out and let it air but how do I remove the the streaks?

Any ideas?

Steve
Old 08 September 2010, 01:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Plastic lens? You USED to be able to separate the glass and the rear/reflectors on glass lensed lights by warming in an oven, you MIGHT be able to do the same? Check if it's glued together, or welded.

Condensation can be from many things, badly seated bulb, dislodged seal, crack/hole in lens, or casing.

In all cases, it's best removed with a drying agent. I keep those little bags of silica gel that come with new electrical items etc.

When my lad's Ibiza had it, we removed the light, baked the bags in an oven for an hour, then dangled a few on cotton INSIDE the light, overnight, in the airing cupboard.

The light was then placed in the freezer, for 6 hours, (driest place in your house), and refitted. Problem solved.
Old 08 September 2010, 08:50 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply mate.

Haven't had the chance to check the bugger today so will do it tomorrow. Think it's going to be a bulb seal myself. The lights units have been in and out of the call since last Novemebr so not suprised this has happen.

Think the lense is plastic on these? I know the WRX ones on my last car were glued but not sure on these ones?

Will give it a go mate. Cheers once again.

Steve
Old 08 September 2010, 10:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can only try, take it steady and slow.
Old 09 September 2010, 07:54 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Had a go today at just seeing what the problem was.

After removing the cluster on the floor I noticed the top bulb area had moisture in it. Not being able to get my finger in with a cloth I used cotton taped onto the end of a cable tie and wiped it.

As I lifted the light up to get a hair dryer to it all of a sudden my leg got wet as there was water pissing out of one of the other bulb location points!!! It was the driving light location. The water would only come out if at a slanted position which annoyed me.

On looking at the rear casing of the light I'm not surprised this has happened before as you can see the lens itself and not through the bulb locations either.

It looks like someone has had a go at sealing he bugger before or it is bad workman ship form the factory. lol

Due to adding the FMIC and CAIK I notice how the water and moisture could have happened. There was a gap leading direct up to the light itself and with the hot engine I can assume that's how water got in.

So I have made a make shift cover for that gap.

I have put a heater blower on the light to remove any more trapped water/moisture. Have left the cluster indoors for more airing etc.

Hope to put the light back in on Saturday when I have time if it doesn't rain.

Steve
Old 09 September 2010, 10:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Shame my spare is a nearside unit...

dunx
Old 10 September 2010, 07:46 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Bugger cheers dunx. If you wish to donate the one on your car at present please feel free. lol

Steve