clocks

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 11:54 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clocks

Hi ,
have just bought me 1st scooby and noticed that at night only a few of the dash bulbs are working, how easy is it to gain acces to change the bulbs.

Its a 1998 2.0L Non Turbo 4WD Sport ?
Old 23 February 2010, 09:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Easy? Nope. Difficult? Not really, just a bit time consuming. Takes about an hour.

You can make it easier by first removing the steering column shrouds: three (iirc) screws from underneath.

Then you need a stubby Pozidriv and undo the two screws in the upper surface of the clock surround, they face downwards, you can see them if you crouch and look up under the hood of the clocks.

Remove the surround......this is the bit that CAN be done without removing the column shrouds, but removing them makes it easier.

Once the surround is off, you will see two more Pozidriv screws holding the clocks in place. Undo, and remove them, a magnetic tipped screwdriver helps not to drop them into the dash

The clocks will now pull forwards. You release the wiring by depressing the clips, release the speedo cable by squeezing it's clips, (unless yours has an electronioc speedo as 98 Turbo cars do), and the clocks lift out.

The bulbs are W5W capless, in little black holders, which undo anticlockwise a quarter turn. You shouldn't have to remove the tiny bulbs as they are warning lights, but it would pay to check that all are working before doing the job: easy to do once it's out.

Also DO replace ALL the W5W bulbs at once, unless you want to do the same job next week Again, IIRC, there are 5 of them, so buy them before the car is in bits

Replacement is a simple reversal, but seat the clocks properly before inserting screws: there are a pair of plastic tangs at the base that hold them niceley.....and don't forget the wires before refitting
Old 24 February 2010, 05:19 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Default Clocks

Hi, am away till the weekend so my scooby is at home bein missed badly lol. Will have a go at the weekend, figured it shouldnt be too bad to do as im a Landrover technician. I will update the post once work is done, driving at night is bad when you cannot see your speedo lol.

thanks for the help much appreciatted
Nick
Old 24 February 2010, 05:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Landrover technician? You'll be used to a few faults then?
Old 24 February 2010, 05:38 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Default Clocks

Hi, am away till the weekend so my scooby is at home bein missed badly lol. Will have a go at the weekend, figured it shouldnt be too bad to do as im a Landrover technician. I will update the post once work is done, driving at night is bad when you cannot see your speedo lol.

thanks for the help much appreciatted
Nick

Would these do the Job
10x RED 509T T5 TWIST LOCK 509 T LED DASH BULBS -=UK=- on eBay (end time 09-Mar-10 15:05:05 GMT)
Old 24 February 2010, 05:41 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Hahaha

As it happens im in Warickshire on Land Rover Training Courses Till Friday, so not back in essex till then.
Yh They keep me busy lol
Old 24 February 2010, 08:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I've seen people use LEDs, and also have problems. The main one being that the dash is made to run green, by passing white light through a green filter.

Use red LEDs and the red can't pass the green filter, so the dash looks too dim
Old 24 February 2010, 10:10 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Ok, have jus orderd some non led type normal white bulbs, i dont want any problems jus want the lights to work properly

ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS FOR ADVICE

Nick
Old 25 February 2010, 10:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Pas des problemes, mon pote.
Old 28 February 2010, 03:45 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Hi, have removed dash from car and found that the bulbs i needed were similar but incorrect. The ones i needed are the small tiny capless bulbs which can be removed from their holder. I had the other type where the bulb remains fixed to the holder. So will order correct bulbs and refit next weekend.

Also i mite be missing something but its my first impreza so dont laugh at me lol.

on the top of the steering column there is a button / switch which originally i thought was the hazard lights but have found that it is not.

Anyone know what it does, cannot see anything obvyious ???
Old 28 February 2010, 06:59 PM
Turbo_T
Scooby Regular

parkin light switch leaves the sidelights on if used

and i need the really little bulbs with the holders u said about do u no where ican get any online ?
Old 28 February 2010, 08:43 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Default cloxks

If you need the small bulbs for the dash that do not come out of the bulb holder go to
www.leadinglamps.co.uk

they work out about a pound each plus postage, ive jus orderd some of the small bulbs which can be removed fromm EBAY and awaiting postman lol
Old 28 February 2010, 09:58 PM
Turbo_T
Scooby Regular

cheers ill have a look do u no what the part number is ?