Notices

Redline Test HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2009, 12:12 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redline Test HIDs

If you look in December 2009 Redline (not a magazine I would normally see) they did an HID H4 headlight test. This was done on dipped beam only. Most people want best vision on full beam where the HID suffers from scatter and reduced penetration/range over alternative solutions.
I guess a good dipped over a poorer long range full beam is an option if you only drive in lit urban areas.

The redline findings are much inline with what I found and reported on a previous thread.

I subsequently purchased a quality set from Knight Racer, 50w. Very easy to install and excellent dipped beam but as with all other aftermarket HID kits I have tested once I got out in to the country I needed long range full beam, the beam scatter was such that the kit was on the car for two nights before I reverted to H4 uprated bulbs which give far better full beam long range vision.
The kit cost £130. Was on the car for 2 nights and anybody wanting such a kit can have this one for £90.

There is also a section, "Top 16 Tuning Myths" Waste Gates Make a Chattering Noise and You Must Fit a Dump Valve. Page57. Worth a look.
Also see Shorter Boost Pipes Give Less Lag.
They also did an HID H4 headlight test. This was done on dipped beam only. Most people want best vision on full beam where the HID suffers from scatter and reduced penetration/range over alternative solutions.
I guess a good dipped over a poorer long range full beam is an option if you only drive in lit urban areas.

Last edited by harvey; 25 November 2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Add quote.