Notices

Morette Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 10:41 PM
scoobyspirit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Morette Headlight Problem

Hi all, need some help with a Morette Headlight. The left light is not working, so far I have checked the fuse, relay and replacement bulb. Still did not work, used a multi meter and checked for power. Now there is power when I put the ground directly onto the battery but not on the earth cable? I thought that maybe the ground/earth cable had a break in it. So i ran a cable from the ground on the battery and took the power from the bulb socket. Still not working however there is a relay switching sound coming from the head light?

Any help would be great, I don’t want have to take to a electrician that going to charge the world for a small issue.
Old 30 October 2009, 11:02 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You don't say what year of car you have. When I fitted a set of driving lights to my STI (no fog lights). It took a while to sort out the electrics as Subaru had put the switching in the return path. I fitted morettes to my bugeye and after pounding my head for over a hour about wiring in the loom they provided I realised all I had to do was chop the OE connectors off and extend the cable to fit to the bulbs directly.
Old 31 October 2009, 02:13 AM
scoobyspirit
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 360ste
You don't say what year of car you have. When I fitted a set of driving lights to my STI (no fog lights). It took a while to sort out the electrics as Subaru had put the switching in the return path. I fitted morettes to my bugeye and after pounding my head for over a hour about wiring in the loom they provided I realised all I had to do was chop the OE connectors off and extend the cable to fit to the bulbs directly.
the lights were already fitted to my bugeye when i got it, had it about ten months with no problems?
Old 31 October 2009, 12:26 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

With the bulb connected and power on. Use your meter to check to see what volts drop you have across the bulb, it should be similar to the battery voltage. If it is very low then this indicates you have a high resistance connection. Leave the negative meter connection on the bulb and move the positive meter lead to the main negative at the battery to check the earth path. If that is okay the move the red meter lead to the relay pin that feeds the lamp and see if the reading changes. If it is the same move to the main input on the relay to see if there is any change. Once you get a change move the negative connection to the previous test point to confirm you are getting the volts drop and hopefully once repaired or replaced your lights will be working.