Getting spare keys cut

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2009, 02:38 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting spare keys cut

Hi guys,

I recently bought my s/h scoob and it only came with 1 key. The key fob does not have any buttons or other gizmos but if I'm correct it comes with a built in 'antenna' for the immobiliser. Question is, does it really have an antenna and if so how can I buy a replacement key at the lowest cost (i.e. not a dealer preferably!)

Car's a 98 impreza wagon.

Thanks!
Old 08 October 2009, 03:16 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

UK or Import?

I'm assuming UK spec. If thats the case you shoudl also have a 1 button Fob, labelled Subaru. But as you say the fob has nothing, then it may be an aftermarket immobliser, so now I'm thinking import. If thats the case, the key will cost only a few quid to copy, but you will have to look to the immobiliser manufacturers for an additional fob.
Old 08 October 2009, 03:39 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I don't know whether it's a UK or import. The key's approx 30mm square by 7mm thick and has a subaru name on one side and a star logo on the other. There are no buttons at all, although if you look closely near the metal key itself there is a small square 'bump' on the seam of the fob. Perhaps this is where the transponder lives? There is no access for a battery either by the way. The only thing I know about an immobiliser is that when the engine's off there's a red flasher on the dash - but this doesn't tell me much I guess.
Old 08 October 2009, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

'98 cars had no fob, just two keys with transponders.

The only place to get one cut is a Scoob dealer, and you better be sat down when he tells you the price

My last one, (I had to get one as one key wore out), was over £70 +VAT, this time last year.

They have to be ordered in, you need the VIN number if it's an import. Some dealers still won't get you one
Old 08 October 2009, 04:20 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. Seems like the sort of thing I could maybe have a go at though - perhaps I could buy a blank transponder key and remap the ECU to match the key for example? I bet someone's worked around this before! It's SO annoying!
Old 08 October 2009, 06:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC, the blank key was a ridiculous price, the actual programming of it to match my car's ecu was a few quid at most.

Sorry.
Old 08 October 2009, 10:41 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slystav
Thanks for the advice. Seems like the sort of thing I could maybe have a go at though - perhaps I could buy a blank transponder key and remap the ECU to match the key for example? I bet someone's worked around this before! It's SO annoying!
Yes and no. You can get a blank transponder key, around a tenner of ebay, although I've noticed they seem to be sold without transponders lately. I just managed to get one before they stopped. But you won't be able to code it yourself without Subaru's select monitor.
Alternatively, you could take the key to a key cutters, and they can clone your key around 30 quid ish.

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2009, 12:41 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Thanks, what do you mean by Subaru's 'select monitor' though? Also, what is the clone you refer to? Can a high street key cutter clone the fob with transponder? How would this differ from the service Subaru offer?
Old 09 October 2009, 01:13 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Select Monitor is Subaru's servicing computer. I know keys from 99 onwards have rolling codes, so they can't be copied, they have to be programmed to the car.

A high street cutter can clone the transponder you have, because I'm sure 98 didn't have the rolling codes, so it should be OK.

What is this fob you keep mentioning? Do you have just the key, and you are referring to that as the fob? or do you have the key and something else?
Old 09 October 2009, 01:26 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Sorry, my fault. It's just the key I have. I keep calling it a fob because it's so big compared to my last car!

Just to confirm then I could walk into most high street key cutters and have the key cloned for maybe £30? I'd ring first of course. Is there any guarantee it would work though? Would they know or might I be wasting my money on a guess?
Old 09 October 2009, 03:03 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Yep, most of them will do it.
It'll be fully guaranteed to work, otherwise get your money back
Old 09 October 2009, 03:40 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Nice one. £30 is bad enough but it beats £70 odd. I'll ring round a few places over the weekend.
Thanks!