Notices

No power to ECU

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2009, 12:58 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to ECU

Right its time I pulled my finger out with the scoob, a couple of months ago I lost all power whilst driving, this was traced to a no power to the ecu.
The RAC wired a direct feed from the battery to the ECU, to get me home which it did.
The car didn’t seem to like this as it idled erratically.
Since then ive had a dig around checked the fuses all seems fine, ive also replace the two cylindrical relays that sit next to the fuse box, drivers side – (I thought these were the ignition relays).
Subsequently ive run a feed off the ignition barrel and shortly will fit an relay (on the advice of JGM thanks Simon).
The car runs fine with this set up however I would prefer to locate and remedy the initial problem.
Ive spoken to an alarm installer and he doesn’t think it’s the immobiliser.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers
Chris
Old 23 September 2009, 03:02 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

How good are you at troubleshooting electrical faults? If you had no power at ECU (and there's no reason to doubt the RAC's diagnosis from your description) the only possible causes would be a dead fuse or a dead +ve feed, but most likely the latter as I'm sure they would have tested for and spotted a simple dead fuse (or at least I hope they would!). If your plan is to figure out how and why you ended up with a dead feed, you'll need to trace the wiring back to fusebox and then to battery, and this might give you some clues. Most likely going to be abrasion or heat damage to the wiring, or corrosion in wiring, terminals or ECU, which could of course mean other components and/or wiring has sufferred the same fate.

It wouldn't hurt at this stage to get the car hooked up to a select-monitor machine or read the diag fault-codes, to try and pin down the problem a bit quicker.
Old 23 September 2009, 09:18 AM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Ive wired in an Apexi AVCR off the ECU and it has a power feed off that, that wasnt powering up so that led to to the ECU, i tested the feed and it was dead.
RAC tested then hotwired.
Ive subsequently checked now the the fuses and the relays next to the fuse box (drivers side) all seem fine.
In going to disconnect the immob tonight just to eliminate that out of the equation.
Ive a power pc fitted to the car and its a 2000 model - i could refit the old ecu for a diag but would it show the fault, i cant run it without it being hotwired as the ecu would have no power.

thanks
Old 23 September 2009, 09:24 AM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Just checked all the fault codes - doesnt include relays or fuses - bugger.

Looks like im gonna have to volt drop the loom
Old 23 September 2009, 09:27 AM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Have a sniff around the wiring for the number 11 fuse behind the coin tray..... I had a similar problem a month or so back and it turned out to be that. HTH
Old 23 September 2009, 04:37 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Cheers will do
Old 24 September 2009, 09:28 AM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

not the immob or the fuse