Notices

How should Morettes be wired?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2009, 01:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How should Morettes be wired?

My car has morettes and discovered last night that main and full beam only works on the two outside lights. The inner lights don't work. Theres bulbs in there and wiring but no joy from the lights themselves.

Any ideas?
Old 11 April 2009, 02:33 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had exactly the same issue with mine, (which were on the car when i bought it) but as i removed the drivers side inner lamp to put in an air feed i never bothered to wire them up. I suppose you'd have to test which wire in the bunch gives a live when main beam is put on and take a feed from that.
Old 14 April 2009, 11:05 PM
Greenflash
Scooby Regular

See if this helps dude, Its quite a usefull site.
Old 18 April 2009, 11:33 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Use a circuit tester to identify which wire is ONLY live when main beam is selected, link it to terminal 85 of a 4 terminal relay. Link terminal 86 to earth.

Using thicker wire, and via a fuse, link battery +ve to terminal 30 and take wires to each inner from terminal 87.
Old 18 April 2009, 03:21 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am thinking of putting a cold air feed into my offside inner morett. (need to tackle under bonnet temps)
Does this mean that I will only have main beam out of H4 bulbs from the outer lights. Do you have to dispense with full beam when disconecting the inner lights.....or can you get main and full beam from just the outer lights?
Old 18 April 2009, 05:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
I am thinking of putting a cold air feed into my offside inner morett. (need to tackle under bonnet temps)
Does this mean that I will only have main beam out of H4 bulbs from the outer lights. Do you have to dispense with full beam when disconecting the inner lights.....or can you get main and full beam from just the outer lights?

Steve the bulbs in classic morettes are H1 outside/dip and H2 inside/main. There isn't an H4 bulb! Or at least that is what my morettes have in them.

There is also the posibility to wire the side lights up in the outer lamp but I use the original sidelights instead.
Old 18 April 2009, 06:20 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Steve the bulbs in classic morettes are H1 outside/dip and H2 inside/main. There isn't an H4 bulb! Or at least that is what my morettes have in them.

There is also the posibility to wire the side lights up in the outer lamp but I use the original sidelights instead.
If you have GENUINE Morettes, the chances are that you have H4 bulbs in the outers, so main and dip, yes.

Cibie do make a 5 3/4" lamp with ONLY Main, or ONLY dip, so using an H1, but they are replaceable with the ones using H4's if you need/want to do so.

Be warned that if you DO remove one inner for a cold air feed, the other MUST NOT be wired up by law. Lights MUST only be used in pairs
Old 27 May 2009, 04:53 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Basically the "easy" way of setting up morettes its to use the standard bulb/wiring and plug them straight into the outer H4 lense.

To get the inners working you have to do extra wiring and a relay as above.