Notices

Morrette wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2009, 03:15 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morrette wiring

Hi there, just got a set of morettes 2nd hand and if i'm not mistaken there is some wiring missing, they are manually adjustable versions.
Has anyone got any diagrams or pictures of the wiring into a classic that they could post or send me?
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Chris
Old 11 February 2009, 04:26 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't have a diagram, but it's fairly straightforward:

The two connectors off the rear of the two EXISTING headlights, the H4 connectors, come off the existing lights and straight onto the OUTER pair of the Morettes. To get them OFF the existing lights, squeeze their sides ,then pull back.

You then should have a wire with a Scotchlok type connector on one end and a relay on the other. If there is no relay, you need a 4-, or 5-pin, on/off (NOT changeover), available from good carshops, Halfords etc, about £5. The wire I mentioned goes to terminal 85 on the relay. If it's 5-pin it should have TWO terminal 87's

The Scotchlok end goes onto the mainbeam wire, ie: whichever wire is LIVE only when mainbeam is on..........find it with a simple circuit tester, £3 from carshop if you don't have one

Meanwhile, back to the relay: there should be another wire going from it's terminal 86 to earth, (battery-ve). A further, thicker, wire runs from battery, +ve via a fuse if relay doesn't have an integral fuse, to relay terminal 30.

And finally, TWO wires from relay terminal 87, one to each INNER light, with an earth wire back to battery -ve from each light too.

Honestly, it takes almost as long to type as it does to do.

Just remember to buy some covers for your spade terminals, buy decent spades, NOT the ones with coloured rings on them as they need a special tool to crimp them, and buy some ring terminals to go from battery -ve and +ve.
Old 11 February 2009, 05:09 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

ok thanks, at the moment on the outer lights there is the usual h4 connection and also a 2 pin on each light although there is no bulb in them so assuming a) wrong lights in there b) thats how they come and you ignore what i assume is meant to be a sidelight

on the inner lights just got 2 black wires with spade terminals coming off the back of the light and thats it
Old 11 February 2009, 05:46 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
ok thanks, at the moment on the outer lights there is the usual h4 connection and also a 2 pin on each light although there is no bulb in them so assuming a) wrong lights in there b) thats how they come and you ignore what i assume is meant to be a sidelight
You can fit sidelights, I have on mine, just make sure that the sidelight HOLES are blanked off if you don't

on the inner lights just got 2 black wires with spade terminals coming off the back of the light and thats it
Those go to the wires from terminal 87 on your relay, (one of them) and to earth, (the other). They take a female spade, but it's best to use a covered one, PLUS wrap the wire with electrician's tape too against the damp.

DO make sure that the inners' rubber boots are securely in place before fitting the lights to the car, plus it's good idea to smear the edges of the inners around the back thickly with grease to stop water ingress. Otherwise they soon corrode, and it's getting harder to get them now
Old 11 February 2009, 06:11 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for the tips, i'll go get a couple of relays tomorrow and a little bit of grease
Both lights look ok at the moment so hopefully not too late to try protect them
Old 11 February 2009, 09:13 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for the tips, i'll go get a couple of relays tomorrow and a little bit of grease
Both lights look ok at the moment so hopefully not too late to try protect them
You only need the one relay, it triggers off either side's main beam, usually on the n/s as it's nearer the battery, and feeds BOTH inners. Fuse will be 15A if you use the standard 55w bulbs.
Old 11 February 2009, 10:59 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

this is what u need.......................................!

NorthUrsalia.com: Morrette Twin Projector Beam Headlamp Conversion

alan

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2009, 11:25 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for that, saved me ending up with 2 relays, good site as well, made it a bit clearer still, looks like i have a little bit more to do than plug and play like i was expecting