Notices

Headlight fault - have full beam but no headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2009, 08:14 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight fault - have full beam but no headlight

Driving home tonight and thought it looked a tad dark. Jumped out of the car to find i only had 1 sidelight lit! Nice. All the rear lights are fine and nothing else gone electrical wise.

If i flip onto full beam all they work ok but nothing when i go back to standard driving light.

I think the bulb has gone in the sidelight - and have a spare for this which ill change now.

Weird how both main lights gone together which makes me suspect its not the bulbs but something else more sinister.

Ive tried the fuses i thought it may be from the fuse diagrams I could find on the net, 5,7,12 and an inspection of the others from the top as i cant find my pliers at the mo....

Can anyone confirm the fuse numbers for me as i dont have a manual.

1999 WRX STi V5 Ltd Type RA

Also any pointers on the main beam issue? Id have thought full beam would have been fecked as well if a relay had gone???? If it could be this where would i find it to check?

Ive also had the bulbs out from the headlight and they look ok.

Thanks for any help guys and gals.
Old 08 January 2009, 09:23 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Located the relay box - checked all the fuses in there and both relays are clicking when going up to full beam. Also tried one of the other relays of the same type in the slot and still no joy.

Cant find my chuffin meter anywhere so cant test for voltage! Might be a halfords job for a bulb to try.

Any other ideas before i buy a bulb - will come in handy for a spare if it aint that... if the buggers ever work again!
Old 09 January 2009, 04:46 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

AFAIK left and right sides should be on a different fuse. I would suspect switch or relay. Try a new bulb but its too coincidental for me that both have gone.

Pat