Notices

Dead Battery Confusion??

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 10:02 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead Battery Confusion??

My 05sti wouldn't start this morning as the battery was flat, can't understand why this is as no lights/radio were left on over night. I last drove the car 4days ago, however the battery surely shouldn't die in that time?? Any ideas what the cause could be??

Gonna try start the car via jump leads and then leave the battery charging overnight. And may even replace the battery with a new one. If i replace the battery is there any recommended battery i should go for and will disconecting the battery effect the alarm/immobiliser once replaced with an new one?

Thanks all
Old 17 November 2008, 10:07 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite possible, OEM batteries die after a while if car use is occasional rather than daily. Lots of drain from New Age STi's. My MY06 STi battery kept draining from lack of use, so I put it in the Classic and it starts first time no probs. Nothing to drain it in the classic. In the MY06 STi I put in a deep cycle Optima RedTop battery which is awesome. I only do 1-2k miles a year and the car gets used only a few times a month, never fails to start.
Old 17 November 2008, 10:13 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Quite possible, OEM batteries die after a while if car use is occasional rather than daily. Lots of drain from New Age STi's. My MY06 STi battery kept draining from lack of use, so I put it in the Classic and it starts first time no probs. Nothing to drain it in the classic. In the MY06 STi I put in a deep cycle Optima RedTop battery which is awesome. I only do 1-2k miles a year and the car gets used only a few times a month, never fails to start.
Yeah that sounds right, the car is only used once/twice a week and is running on the oem battery. Will get a replacement today, will halfords supply a battery like yours? and how much did it set you back?

cheers
Old 17 November 2008, 10:17 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Halfords HCB005 is the one.
Old 17 November 2008, 10:18 AM
help2003
Scooby Regular

Mine is the same in my classic, I used it ever day, but now i have a company car, it can be stood for 5 days before using it. and had to jump start it,

Its got a new battery in about 3months ago, so i have disconnect my amp wire just to see if that is still taking some power from it, if not going to check the tracker, and see if thats drawing to much,
Old 17 November 2008, 10:19 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Halfords HCB005 is the one.
Thanks Dave much appreciated...love this site and people on it, always willing to help out!
Old 17 November 2008, 10:42 AM
Scooby Senior

Not cheap, but best battery I have ever had for someone that leaves their car repeatedly stood for 4+ weeks on occasions.

Buy online only I think. I used 4leaf and they were fine.

OPTIMA® RedTop R 4,2
Old 17 November 2008, 10:47 AM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

if u use a newage without using sidelights or headlamps then the smart alternator doesnt charge the battery so keep starting the car it takes a charge out of the battery..i had the psi monitor when car with no elec load battery voltage 12.4v so not charging put sidelights on 14v it confused me at first now allways drive with sidelights on and no further problems
Old 17 November 2008, 10:51 AM
Scooby_Stu_
Scooby Regular

Hi. Mine did the same 3 weeks ago, OEM batteries are cr*p. Got a HCB005 calcium battery from halfords with 4 year warranty, got it for £74.69 as they have 10% off if you reserve online and collect from store.

Stuart.
Old 17 November 2008, 11:21 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Hey Morpheus,

Still not used your block mate, just sat there in the garage waiting

There seems to be some confusion here on the type of batts to use. Hate to disagree with 53wrx but the Optima red top is an SLI battery, the yellow top is the deep cycle battery, and the blue top is a marine hybrid (sort of half way between the two) That being said the red top will discharge slower than an OEM due to better manufacturing, but it will eventually be damaged leading to an expensive failure.

Only being picky as, at over £145 ea that is a lot of tut to shell out on a battery. You need to check the use you are going to give it an make an informed descision.

Have a look here OPTIMA SpiraCell(c) batteries, UK supplier

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 17 November 2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelt Morpheus' name wrong
Old 17 November 2008, 11:52 AM
Scooby Senior

^^^ yes the Yellow is the full on deep cycle but the Red Top is still trumps on the alternatives and cranks higher than the Yellow when I was looking. Also the Yellow isn't made in reverse terminal and weighs 2kg more IIRC. The Blue Tops are identical to the yellows but for Marine Application, they are also favoured by people running extra toys because they come with extra +/- terminals. I did order one of these but was not aware of the terminal layout and returned it for the Red Top.

Basically this sums up what you want...

OPTIMA RedTop™ batteries are designed for short term high current applications such as starting engines, like those ones shown above or your car in the middle of winter! They can be left for months, in the depths of winter and will start even the most high compression race engine, or agricultural diesel engine first time!
Old 17 November 2008, 12:06 PM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

my tracker drains my battery if i don't use the car much.thinking of putting a large optima in the back.
Old 17 November 2008, 12:09 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

53WRX,

Not disputing that it isn't a good battery just pointing out that it isn't in fact a deep cycle battery as you claimed.

Quote from your original link. Model: RT S 4,2 & RT R 4,2
"These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are not recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications"

Also, to finish off your quote from my link,
"OPTIMA RedTop™ batteries are designed for short term high current applications such as starting engines, like those ones shown above or your car in the middle of winter! They can be left for months, in the depths of winter and will start even the most high compression race engine, or agricultural diesel engine first time!"

the next line reads
"They do not like to be "deep cycled" (like ALL automotive starter batteries!) Although this Red Top battery with its SpiralCell Lead Plate Technology, will suffer much less from the occasional deep discharge"

Basically I think this means that it will do what you are asking of it but if you do it too often then it will eventually bugga the battery, just slower than an OEM, which is why they manufacture the yellow top to deal with this kind of treatment.

Have just checked and the blue top is not a halfway house but just the additional terminal option as you quite rightly point out.

Nice to see that Morpheus is getting some quality advice (not guesswork/hearsay) leading to intelligent discussion instead of the usual I'm right, you're wrong etc..

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 17 November 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 17 November 2008, 12:44 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_Stu_
Hi. Mine did the same 3 weeks ago, OEM batteries are cr*p. Got a HCB005 calcium battery from halfords with 4 year warranty, got it for £74.69 as they have 10% off if you reserve online and collect from store.

Stuart.
This sounds the most convenient route, they have plenty in stock at my local Halfords and the 4year warranty isn't bad. Next time I will make sure I drive with my sidelights on.

Thanks all for the great advice much appreciated
Old 17 November 2008, 12:57 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem in my Spec C but being a tiny weight saving battery im struggling to find a decent replacement in the same dimensions.Anyone know if these red/yellow top batterys are available in smaller size
Old 17 November 2008, 01:02 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Think Morpheus has found the logical and cost effective solution.
Old 17 November 2008, 01:03 PM
Scooby Senior

his-n-her-scoobs

scooby-tc I just bought a Braille lightweight for the classic. What race battery are you running with ?
Old 17 November 2008, 01:06 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Its the OE one which is half the size and weight of a regular battery
Old 17 November 2008, 01:07 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

morpheus,
if you get the Halfords one make sure you keep the receipt(I put mine in the sunvisor pocket)I use this battery in my MY00 I'm on my second one now as the first failed at just over 3 years, so took it back to halfords they checked it and then replaced it FOC, best thing they then gave it a new 4 year warrenty.
Old 17 November 2008, 03:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Its the OE one which is half the size and weight of a regular battery
I was looking for a lightweight one and was looking at the Odyssey PC680 but the Braille cranks higher and weighs less .

The Specs:
- Voltage: 12
- AH: 15
- PCA: 700 Pulse Cranking Amps
- Length: 5.8"
- Width: 3.3"
- Height: 5.9
- Weight: 11.5 lb or 5.2kg
- Use: Road Racing, Drag Racing, Rally Racing, Auto- Cross and Daily Use.

Braille No-Weight Daily Use Battery [BR-B14115]

Old 17 November 2008, 05:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Yep I have one in my MY06 STi, squashes the silly plastic battery tray a smidge as it is ever so slightly longer or wider (I forget which) but it fits no problem.

You can just about see it bottom right on my bay picture

Old 17 November 2008, 05:32 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1junkie
if u use a newage without using sidelights or headlamps then the smart alternator doesnt charge the battery so keep starting the car it takes a charge out of the battery..i had the psi monitor when car with no elec load battery voltage 12.4v so not charging put sidelights on 14v it confused me at first now allways drive with sidelights on and no further problems
This also works with the fan on #1 if you don't want to drive around with you lights on.

Rgds Red.
Old 17 November 2008, 08:05 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Im just looking at a replacement battery for my scoob....

The model you mentioned for the red top = Model: RT S 4,2 & RT R 4,2
sems to be different to the one that is mentioned on another battery site for the Subaru Optima Red Top RT S 3.7 R (Reversed)(8035-255)

see link... Optima Red Top RT S 3.7 R (Reversed) (8035-255)

Anyone know what the difference is? the size is slightly smaller but is that it?

cheers

Andy
Old 17 November 2008, 11:29 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

THe Optima 4.2 that 53WRX recommends above is rated as 50Ah with a cold start current of 815amps. L245 x W175 x H200 mm, £145

The Optima 3.7 you are looking at is rated as 44Ah with a cold start current of 730amps. L239 x W172 x H190 mm, £127

Halfrauds HCB005 does not state rating but cold start current is given as 510amps for £83 and their OEM replacement HB005 is 420amps for £73

55D23L is OEM for Scoob with manual transmission, 48Ah with cold start current of 400amps. L232 x W171 x H224 mm, probably around £50 to £60 from your local motor factors.

The choice is yours

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 17 November 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 18 November 2008, 01:56 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
morpheus,
if you get the Halfords one make sure you keep the receipt(I put mine in the sunvisor pocket)I use this battery in my MY00 I'm on my second one now as the first failed at just over 3 years, so took it back to halfords they checked it and then replaced it FOC, best thing they then gave it a new 4 year warrenty.
Bought and fitted last night. Will deffinately keep the reciept
Old 18 November 2008, 02:04 PM
stidj
Scooby Newbie

Nothing wrong with OEM batteries.

If you read p1junkie's post, that is what the problem is. This can affect ANY battery, not just OEM batteries.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:48 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Correct for a daily driver, and if you read Morpheus post #14 he had already figured that out.

The later discussion revolved around deep cycle batteries which survive long periods of non use whilst being constantly drained (alarm/tracker etc) and are still able to start the car. Something that most OEM batteries are not capable of.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 19 November 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:55 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stistussy
my tracker drains my battery if i don't use the car much.thinking of putting a large optima in the back.
There is a fix for this... a new board, to make it go into standby quicker.. it is a common problem......

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Confusion??