Notices

HID conversion projector problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2008, 04:20 AM
The Satch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion projector problem

so im new here, not really sure what proper etiquette is on this board, but im having a problem with my HID converted headlights. the right one has kinda flickered for the last couple months, and this last week it completely died. i was told that some HIDs flicker and i shouldnt worry about it, but now its dead. all the wiring seems to be intact, havent found any shorts or anything, what can i do to diagnose the problem?

p.s. - i didnt do the original wiring, i bought the car with them, and the ballasts were in the engine bay with double sided tape, wasnt my shoddy job, just trying to fix it.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you swap ballasts? I'd do this first, then try both bulbs on the working ballast if it's not that.

New ballasts are available, as are bulbs.

Try a search for posts by Bob5, he sells them and is VERY keen..........

But DO remember that use of a vehicle with HIDs fitted is illegal in the UK unless it was built with them. ALL aftermarket kits come under that law, although, as Bob5 will undoubtedly tell you, he knows of no-one that's been prosecuted yet.

Alcazar

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2008, 11:44 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Default .

Last edited by borderlinechris; 11 May 2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added smiley
Old 11 May 2008, 02:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Get over it Alcazar - do you have a headlight fetish or something

Yep, it's so illegal that a grand total of ZERO people have had any issues with the police, let alone been prosecuted.

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 11 May 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11 May 2008, 02:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Satch
so im new here, not really sure what proper etiquette is on this board, but im having a problem with my HID converted headlights. the right one has kinda flickered for the last couple months, and this last week it completely died. i was told that some HIDs flicker and i shouldnt worry about it, but now its dead. all the wiring seems to be intact, havent found any shorts or anything, what can i do to diagnose the problem?

p.s. - i didnt do the original wiring, i bought the car with them, and the ballasts were in the engine bay with double sided tape, wasnt my shoddy job, just trying to fix it.
Hi,

Firstly you need to establish what component has failed. You can do this by swapping the ballasts over.

Have both sides completely died?

Cheers,

Bob
Old 11 May 2008, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Get over it Alcazar - do you have a headlight fetish or something

Yep, it's so illegal that a grand total of ZERO people have had any issues with the police, let alone been prosecuted.
One of us has a headlight fetish, Bob, and it ain't me.

I just tell the truth. YOU, on the other hand, have agreed to change packaging to show that your product is illegal. Have you done so yet? And do you EVER include a warning in your posts advertising your stuff?

As for "a grand total of ZERO people have had any issues with the police, let alone been prosecuted", do you know this as a fact? Or just the ones you have sold to?

TRY and be honest, Bob

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2008, 05:14 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Alcazar: I sell HID kits. Whats your excuse? You seem to be on every HID related thread, in fact I don't even need to search for 'HID' related topics as its just easier to see the threads that you have posted on.

The product itself is not illegal, so get your facts straight. Its intended for off road use, as people are made aware of before making a purchase.

The legislation that you seem to get so excited about also applies to alot of other things such as EVERY aftermarket exhaust (catted or not), among other things. How often do you stalk exhaust posts and try and ram the law down peoples throats (as if they are stupid) on that topic?

Growing quite tired of it, as I am sure other people are.
Old 11 May 2008, 05:42 PM
dan/scooby
Scooby Regular

picked up a set of hi+low beam 6k's the other week , never been stopped with them , and the police are hot on modified cars round here at the mo
Old 11 May 2008, 05:59 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can you swap ballasts? I'd do this first, then try both bulbs on the working ballast if it's not that.

New ballasts are available, as are bulbs.

Try a search for posts by Bob5, he sells them and is VERY keen..........

But DO remember that use of a vehicle with HIDs fitted is illegal in the UK unless it was built with them. ALL aftermarket kits come under that law, although, as Bob5 will undoubtedly tell you, he knows of no-one that's been prosecuted yet.

Alcazar

Alcazar
They arent illegal Jeff, they simply have to be type approved.
Old 11 May 2008, 06:32 PM
The Satch
Scooby Newbie

im in the states, so not illegal here. i havent swapped ballasts yet, and no, both sides havent died, the left side works perfectly. will try swapping ballasts and report back, thanks for all the suggestions.

and lets try to keep it on topic guys.
Old 11 May 2008, 07:27 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Alcazar: I sell HID kits. Whats your excuse? You seem to be on every HID related thread, in fact I don't even need to search for 'HID' related topics as its just easier to see the threads that you have posted on.

The product itself is not illegal, so get your facts straight. Its intended for off road use, as people are made aware of before making a purchase.

The legislation that you seem to get so excited about also applies to alot of other things such as EVERY aftermarket exhaust (catted or not), among other things. How often do you stalk exhaust posts and try and ram the law down peoples throats (as if they are stupid) on that topic?

I agree Bob each to their own, Soon in this country you won't be able to come out your front door without doing something illegal. I think the Law as better things to worry about than How intense someones Beam is on their car.
Old 11 May 2008, 08:10 PM
The Satch
Scooby Newbie

so it looks like my ballast is bad, swapped them today and found that the left ballast works on eithter headlight. the bulbs themselves say 6000k on them, so i am going to assume that is right. the wording on the ballast is as follows:

Vorschaltgerat
Xenon-licht 12V
5DV 007 760-01
DOT D2S,D2R 2500h
HLO HALLW
made in germany

What is a good ballast to replace this with? or should i replace both of them? i dont know where these originally came from, and i dont know what would be comparable. would replacing the bulbs with 4300K make the ballasts last longer?
Old 11 May 2008, 10:06 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

4300 k is a colour temperature, i.e white NOT a power rating.
6000 k is a bluish tinge....

Any more is purple and for poseurs.
IMHO

DunxC
Old 11 May 2008, 10:08 PM
The Satch
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dunx
4300 k is a colour temperature, i.e white NOT a power rating.
6000 k is a bluish tinge....

Any more is purple and for poseurs.
IMHO

DunxC
i understand that, i was wondering which would help the ballasts last longer
Old 11 May 2008, 10:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Excuse? What, I need an excuse for having an opinion and stating facts? Get real.

And as for me posting on every HID related topic, I think you need only look in a mirror for someone who jumps into every lighting related post to push his own stuff.

Sorry, but I never said the product was illegal...........illegal to use on UK roads, was what I've repeatedly said, so YOU get YOUR facts straight.

Just HOW do you make people aware that your stuff is for off road use only?

Nope, I don't stalk exhaust posts, I don't stalk ANY posts, but offhand I can't think of a single instance in which a loud exhaust could end in someone's death or serious injury..........can you?

I CAN however, think of a few ways that dazzling HIDs could do just that.

If you're growing tired of it, just stop responding, after all, you are trying to defend the indefensible.

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2008, 10:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
They arent illegal Jeff, they simply have to be type approved.
And the ones sold as aftermarket fit, just aren't. End of.

Alcazar
Old 11 May 2008, 11:25 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Alcazar FFS will you shut up harping on about HID lights an their lack of legallity. We all know your opinion and quite frankly I'm sure most are tired of your repetitive, predictable rhetoric when ever this subject comes up!!!!!
Old 12 May 2008, 12:23 AM
The Satch
Scooby Newbie

come on guys, obviously the two of you have knowledge about HIDs, can one of you answer my question or take the bickering elsewhere?
Old 12 May 2008, 09:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Alcazar FFS will you shut up harping on about HID lights an their lack of legallity. We all know your opinion and quite frankly I'm sure most are tired of your repetitive, predictable rhetoric when ever this subject comes up!!!!!
Sure I will. Just as soon as Bob and his ilk ADMIT THAT THEY ARE ILLEGAL TO FIT AND USE ON UK ROADS IN EVERY POST PUSHING THEM FOR SALE.

Sorry, Daz, but if you feel it's OK to sell stuff which is patently illegal and can land it's user in court, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2008, 09:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

come on guys, obviously the two of you have knowledge about HIDs, can one of you answer my question or take the bickering elsewhere?
Nothing really. Certainly not altering the colour temperature of your "bulbs".

AFAIK, ballasts need to be mounted so that they avoid the worst vibrations, and not too close to a source of heat. After that, they are pretty much fit and forget, although I'd also avoid direct splash positions too.

The ones that I have for my driving lights are zip-tied securely to the uprights either side of the radiator, and have given no trouble in 5 years. Touch wood.

DO be careful if you have to change a "bulb": you shouldn't mix colour temperatures, you ought to have the same on both sides.

Bob will probably fix you up with a ballast or a bulb, whichever you need.
If not, Google HID's and you'll get loads of hits.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2008, 11:03 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

i understand that, i was wondering which would help the ballasts last longer
If you want a better understanding of some of the issues, have a browse on hidplanet. They'll also more likely to be able to help in identifying and suggesting a replacement for your ballast(s).

Regarding the colour temp of bulbs. As HID bulbs age, the colour temp drifts upwards. Philips etc have introduced 5000K range of OEM replacements to try to colour match failing OEM 4300K bulbs.

J.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

And the ones sold as aftermarket fit, just aren't. End of.

Alcazar
Do they **** yu off because they dazzle you? I certainly understand that, but Ive been dazzled by far more type-approved OEM xenon headlamps than retro-fit ones (if any actually, certainly any that have obviously been on a vehicle that didnt offer them originally).....
Old 12 May 2008, 01:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Sure I will. Just as soon as Bob and his ilk ADMIT THAT THEY ARE ILLEGAL TO FIT AND USE ON UK ROADS IN EVERY POST PUSHING THEM FOR SALE.

Sorry, Daz, but if you feel it's OK to sell stuff which is patently illegal and can land it's user in court, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Alcazar
Alcazar: You come across as the all knowing authority on these matters, whereas you don't actually KNOW the facts.

1. They are not illegal to sell
2. They are not illegal to use on all cars (depends on application)
3. Kits are CE approved/marked
4. There is a 'off road use' notice on the order page (as with many uprated bulbs, brake pads etc etc).

A Department of Transport press release is NOT law.

Of all the kits sold, we have had ZERO reported problems.

Nobody likes to be dazzled by HID or any other misaligned lights. Our kits do not dazzle oncoming drivers when correctly fitted. The worst offenders imo are those OEM HID fitted to Range Rovers etc.

Stop treating people like they are stupid and shoving your 'facts' down their throats at every opportunity.

Bob
Old 12 May 2008, 01:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, Bob, have it your own way. Dept of Transport are wrong, and Bob5, who's making money out of selling them, is right.

Ho hum.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2008, 01:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Alcazar: Ok great. Lets not do this everytime a HID related thread comes up.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:06 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Alcazar, you've said your piece your opinion has been heard. We're all tired of your same old rubbish time and time again. Now do everyone a favour and bugger off there's a good girl!!
Old 12 May 2008, 04:56 PM
bootneck
Scooby Newbie

I second that motion
Old 12 May 2008, 10:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Alcazar, you've said your piece your opinion has been heard. We're all tired of your same old rubbish time and time again. Now do everyone a favour and bugger off there's a good girl!!
Daz: if you're trying to be annoying, you are coming over as silly.

1. what I've said isn't rubbish, just the truth, like it or lump it.
2. Try to argue properly, not like a big soft lass.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2008, 10:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootneck
I second that motion
Well bully for you.

What an interesting intelligent post.

Alcazar
Old 12 May 2008, 10:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Alcazar: Ok great. Lets not do this everytime a HID related thread comes up.
Bob: you know my postion on this well enough. I have nothing against HID's, and nothing against the kits used in any except H4, for which they are a B@stard concoction.

I do, however, take exception to someone selling stuff which is illegal to sell, fit and use, WITHOUT SAYING SO.

If you warn people, then fair enough, I still feel you should warn folk in each and every plug, but to you and the "Greek Girly Chorus" that seem to be joining in:

If someone was on here selling illegal tyres, possibly dangerous, and you were a new buyer who knew no better, would you want someone to tell you, or would you prefer to remain ignorant?

Alcazar

Quick Reply: HID conversion projector problem