Notices

Cable routing for rear parking sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2008, 08:44 AM
rsvaprilia
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable routing for rear parking sensor?

Has anyone fitted a rear parking sensor preferably to a sportswagon if so what is the best route to get the cable to the engine bay; is it under the car or inside the car?

If inside are there any easily located grommets to get the cable thru the bulk head without too much disturbance?
Old 11 January 2008, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Through the engine bulkhead will depend on model and year.

The sill plastic plates on the inside are dead easy to get off and reveal a large space for wiring. You lift screw covers with a small screwdriver, then undo cross-pointed screws to remove the plastic.

Then it's up under the dash, and look for grommets in the engine bay. There's one on classics on the n/s where the aircon goes through, and one on the o/s where the clutch mech goes through. Either have space for wiring.

I put wires through the n/s one as my car has no aircon. Pierced it with a metal coathanger, shoved it through, felt for it high up under the glove box, pulled it through further, taped wires to it and pulled it back

Alcazar
Old 11 January 2008, 12:24 PM
rsvaprilia
Scooby Newbie

thanks Alcazar.

My car is an 05 model but I guess the door strips will still be easy to get off.
Old 11 January 2008, 06:41 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsvaprilia
thanks Alcazar.

My car is an 05 model but I guess the door strips will still be easy to get off.
on blob eye models there is a spare rubber grommet next to the clutch fluid resavoir ideal for wiring to be shoved through.
just make sure when you are finished wiring you whack some silicone sealer on the grommet
Old 11 January 2008, 11:36 PM
rsvaprilia
Scooby Newbie

OK found the gromet near clutch & should be easy to get the wire under the door trim.
Only place I can see any dificulty is getting from the boot to outside, the gromet for the reg. plate light is a special so I will either have to drill a new hole or investigate whether I can find a gap near the rear light cluster.
Old 15 January 2008, 01:36 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone fitted a rear parking sensor preferably to a sportswagon if so what is the best route to get the cable to the engine bay; is it under the car or inside the car?

If inside are there any easily located grommets to get the cable thru the bulk head without too much disturbance?
Why do you want to get there?
Surely all you do is pick up the power to the reverse lights and site everything in the boot area.

John
Old 15 January 2008, 01:40 PM
rsvaprilia
Scooby Newbie

With a parking sensor at the front & one at the rear & only one control box I will need to get one cable from the back to the front or one cable from the front to the back so I can link both parking sensors into the control box.
Old 15 January 2008, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK found the gromet near clutch & should be easy to get the wire under the door trim.
Only place I can see any dificulty is getting from the boot to outside, the gromet for the reg. plate light is a special so I will either have to drill a new hole or investigate whether I can find a gap near the rear light cluster.
Drill behind bumper, touch up paint on hole edges, (colour doesn't matter, no-one will see it), grommet, smear with acrylic frame sealant, inside and out.

Alcazar
Old 15 January 2008, 03:53 PM
rsvaprilia
Scooby Newbie

Alcazar

I found a spare gromet behind the light cluster on the drivers side which was easy to get to once the light cluster was removed.
It was also easy to get the wire behind the sill plates.