Notices

hid and radio interference?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 07:45 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid and radio interference?

i have got a problem with radio interference when headlights are on radio is normal when off and when side lights on,but as soon as i turn to dip the reception is crap.
i can only think it is the hid ballasts causing the trouble.

is it possible to fit a suppressor to overcome it and if so where do i get one and where is it fitted?

failing that hid's will end up on the fleabay as it is doing my fecking nut in.

any advice appreciated
Old 28 December 2007, 10:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I've not come across this, but it could be............poor ballasts in fluorescent lights cause the same. It's not a sort of whining though is it? THAT could be alternator.

I'd suggest a call to the vendor to see if they can suggest a check and a suppressor.

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2007, 06:06 AM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

no it is not whining like alternator the radio functions normal when lights off,as soon as turned on the radio starts crackling and then tries searching for stronger signal.
only way i can explain it would be on a car with pull up aerial,it would be like the affect of pushing the aerial back in while still tuned to radio

cheers for the reply alcazar
Old 07 January 2008, 09:37 PM
rpoffen
Scooby Newbie

Default HID interference, me too

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
no it is not whining like alternator the radio functions normal when lights off,as soon as turned on the radio starts crackling and then tries searching for stronger signal.
only way i can explain it would be on a car with pull up aerial,it would be like the affect of pushing the aerial back in while still tuned to radio

cheers for the reply alcazar
I have the exact same problem since installing my HID system. It is almost like it is jamming the radio reception. A strong station comes in fine, but if its strength fades a little, then it is overcome by hissing. The stereo indicator also will go off meaning it is simply a reduction in signal strength.

I have tried grounding the ballasts, putting ferrite toroids on all the wiring, checked all the grounds, etc.

The manuf just says to move the ballast farther from the antenna, however they are already as far away as possible. Even if just one of the ballasts is plugged in, I get the interference. Leaving just the driver side one plugged in gives interference, and the ballast is mounted just behind the lamp housing. The antenna is on the passenger side near the windshield, can't separate them any further without relocating the antenna to the rear of the car.

I will keep experimenting and post here if I learn more. If you could please do the same maybe we could help each other solve the problem.

Last edited by rpoffen; 07 January 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Add notification
Old 07 January 2008, 10:41 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

I get same but not all the time, but mine is 04 model with no aerial as such. Started straight after Hids fitted. Mine sometimes stalls on tickover when first switched on from cold???
Old 08 January 2008, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Guys, I don't mean to be negative, but if you fitted cheap far-eastern ballasts, you might find that they are the problem. A bit like cheap ballasts in some cheap fluorescents, they hum or cause interference.

Decent HID ballasts are made by Hella and Philips and (IIRC) Bosch.

Alcazar
Old 08 January 2008, 01:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Poor quality HID ballasts have been known to cause interference with radios (poor shielding).

We have sold many of our kits now and not had any feedback to say they have interference problems, (with the exception imf1, which sounds like there may be other problems). Never had any interference on my own cars either.

If you're not happy with your kits a decent company should take them back.

imf1: You're welcome to return yours for a refund, although I would look at the alternator/battery/fitment first as previously discussed