Notices

Argh, decent design rear foglight (Not drilling out rear light cluster)

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 07:17 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Argh, decent design rear foglight (Not drilling out rear light cluster)

Hey folks. I have trawled Ebay on numerous occasions and various other places desperatly trying to get hold of a half decent looking rear foglight and not the generic nasty flappy thing that I have now:

It does my head in and I even modified the mounting so that I could tuck it up under the rear bumper as much as poss and only bring it out when absolutely necessary. I have seen other imports where although the have external rear foglights, the appear to be far more rectagular/thinner/rounded off. I would probably kill to get my hands on one so I can stamp on the current one!

Thanks in advance for any alternatives,

Nick .
Old 19 August 2007, 09:27 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

When i collected my new car it was setup so that when you flicked the foglight switch it actually lit up the drivers side reversing light so all you need to do is fit a red bulb for MOT time quite a good idea i thought
Old 19 August 2007, 09:57 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

My 1st scoob had something fitted so that when the fog switch was activated, the spoiler mounted brake light, that worked perfect as a brake light, would turn to always on until the switch was turned off. Never managed to figure out what he did.
Old 19 August 2007, 10:52 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

MR Footlong, unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, there is always the option to convert one reverse light to a foglight.
The easiest thing you could do, as you probably have those lovely red/white lights, is to use a UK rear light wiring loom. Then its a simple plug in the new loom and change the bulb to red.
Old 20 August 2007, 08:07 PM
scooby_andy123
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
When i collected my new car it was setup so that when you flicked the foglight switch it actually lit up the drivers side reversing light so all you need to do is fit a red bulb for MOT time quite a good idea i thought
exactly what i done, got a silver buld the glows red 21w on ebay rewire the reverse light and its happy days matey
Old 22 August 2007, 04:43 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Ideally what I wanted was what an alarm chap did to my first scoob (never managed to track him down again ) which was some sort of relay-type thing that when switched on, disconnected the spoiler brake light from the main brake circuit and switched it to perm on as a foglight.

So, after confusing the hell out of my electronic-savvy friends and drawing some diagrams that a 5 year old would be embarassed to have drawn, they figured out what I was on about. The conclusion was that by purchasing a 5 pole 12V car relay from Maplin (AR32) I would be able to wire up the following:

Pole 86 - Earth
Pole 30 - Spoiler Brake Light +
Pole 87a - Main Brake Circuit +
Pole 85 - Foglight Switch +
Pole 87 - Foglight Switch +

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically with the foglight switch off, the circuit is complete between 30 and 87a, for normal brake light duties. When the foglight switch is on, not only does it provide the power to the coil that changes to circuit to between 30 and 87, removing it from the brake circuit, but it also provides the +12 that keeps the spoiler brake perm on until such time as the foglight switch is turned off again. This is how I will be wiring it unless anyone sees anything glaringly wrong with the plan?

I just want something that is perm, no changing bulbs, drilling out clusters or changing the looms etc. Call me awkward but I just liked the elegance of the system mentioned above . The only thing is that I believe the top level light is a bit above the 1M limit above ground (will have to measure), but the other scoob passed MOT's with this system.

Cheers for the options guys, if anything goes horribly wrong or I get booted out of every MOT station in the country I will go with one of the other methods mentioned
Old 24 August 2007, 08:24 AM
AJF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
Ideally what I wanted was what an alarm chap did to my first scoob (never managed to track him down again ) which was some sort of relay-type thing that when switched on, disconnected the spoiler brake light from the main brake circuit and switched it to perm on as a foglight.

So, after confusing the hell out of my electronic-savvy friends and drawing some diagrams that a 5 year old would be embarassed to have drawn, they figured out what I was on about. The conclusion was that by purchasing a 5 pole 12V car relay from Maplin (AR32) I would be able to wire up the following:

Pole 86 - Earth
Pole 30 - Spoiler Brake Light +
Pole 87a - Main Brake Circuit +
Pole 85 - Foglight Switch +
Pole 87 - Foglight Switch +

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically with the foglight switch off, the circuit is complete between 30 and 87a, for normal brake light duties. When the foglight switch is on, not only does it provide the power to the coil that changes to circuit to between 30 and 87, removing it from the brake circuit, but it also provides the +12 that keeps the spoiler brake perm on until such time as the foglight switch is turned off again. This is how I will be wiring it unless anyone sees anything glaringly wrong with the plan?

I just want something that is perm, no changing bulbs, drilling out clusters or changing the looms etc. Call me awkward but I just liked the elegance of the system mentioned above . The only thing is that I believe the top level light is a bit above the 1M limit above ground (will have to measure), but the other scoob passed MOT's with this system.

Cheers for the options guys, if anything goes horribly wrong or I get booted out of every MOT station in the country I will go with one of the other methods mentioned

can be done with 2 one way dioides if you know what you are doing
also a lot cheaper than a 5 pin relay

Adrian
Old 24 August 2007, 09:03 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that but at only £5 for the relay I am not going to lose any sleep over it . The light is at 98cm above the ground so is within the 100cm legal limit which is good. Could you spam up a picture or description of how you would do it with diodes if you have some time spare? I am still going to use the relay but it could be useful for others.

Cheers,

Nick .
Old 25 August 2007, 06:25 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Right, all sorted. I have taken pics to bore all you folk and also just in case someone else wants a permanant alternative to the other foglight options around with pictures showing the end result . Using the pin layout I mentioned above and just taking the existing foglight wiring and routing it to the top of the boot, this is the end result:

Wiring, not my tidiest work but meh -

Normal lights on -

Brakes applied -

Normal lights with Foglight switch on (foglight circuit will only activate when side/normal lights are on) -

Some might say pointless but I don't have to lift a single finger come MOT time, it just works which is all I wanted.

Cheers,

Nick .
Old 27 August 2007, 09:27 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can you use that as a fog light?
Old 27 August 2007, 10:03 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

My first scoob came with the exact same setup and passed the MOT so I hope so .
Old 27 August 2007, 10:26 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Japanese imported car doesn't have rear fog light

"My Honda Prelude (1996) import does not have a rear fog light. I cannot tell if it has been removed or if it was never included as part of the standard spec. There is no sign of a switch to control a fog light. Do i require one therefor in order to pass a Mot test?

Answer: The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980"

The only potential 'fly in the ointment' is point 10 on this page:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

However you are allowed to disconnect the high level brake light and you will still pass the rear brake light test. By doing this I bypass point 10 but don't quite get the forget about it solution that I wanted. Still, it made a nice waste of an afternoon for me regardless and at the end of the day itr was exactly what I wanted .

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 27 August 2007 at 10:50 PM.