Notices

Replacing PIAA lens - how?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 08:52 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A couple of weeks ago, a rock smashed one of my PIAA (Prodrive supplied) driving lights on my MY00

I now have a replacement lens/reflector (£20 ex-demo from David Reid Motorsport, top bloke!), but can't figure out how to get the old one out. It looks like the lens unit is held by two screws, one on each side, but although one of them is easily accessible, the other one is right up against the bumper. I doubt that even the stubbiest screwdriver would fit.

How do I get the lens out?

Ta
Andy.
Old 18 December 2001, 12:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You have to take the whole lamp unit out to get at the inner screw.

If they have been fitted the proper way, you have to remove the three Pozi headed screws behind the lamp unit, it will then come away complete with bracket. You can see them round the perimeter of the lamp unit. You can then get to the lens screws.

If they have been fitted by bolting the lamp unit through its bracket to the bumper, you will have to ignore the above and remove the 17mm nut on the back of the lamp by removing the dirt shield under the front of the wheelarch and getting to it that way. This is a grotty job, so try my first suggestion first.

In either case, when you remove the two lens screws one each side of the lamp casing, don't remove them totally as there is a nut on the inside that will drop off. Just unscrew them about 3mm and the lens will slide out, as where the screw goes into is slotted.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/18/2001 12:05:10 PM]
Old 18 December 2001, 04:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks Dave!

I have the official Prodrive kit, fitted by a dealer, so hopefully it'll be method 'a' and not too grotty. I'll have a better look for the three screws you mention as soon as I get the chance to work on the car in daylight!

Cheers

Andy