Notices

Philips Xtreme Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2007, 10:44 AM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philips Xtreme Bulbs

Has anyone bought any of the philips xtreme headlight bulbs, supposed to give up to 80% greater light for same power, and legal. Just after anyones experiences if they have. And are they worth the extra money over the normal brighter phililps bulbs.
Old 21 April 2007, 02:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not used those, although their 50% brighter bulbs won awards for consistently high output, optical performance etc.

The current best, according to Auto Express, is the Halfords 50% brighter, made for them by GE. They WERE on BOGOF, so VERY good value.

I think the newer Philips ones weren't tested, not available at the time of the test.

Alcazar
Old 01 June 2007, 10:52 AM
Andy-STI
Scooby Regular

I am also interested in the Extreme ones as well.
Although they were not awarded they did get a mention at the end of the mag (something like overall product. They were tested but were a pre-production unit but Philips said the spec would not be changing.
Might be worth a chance as they work out to approx £40 at the site I went to from the info from the mag.
Old 01 June 2007, 03:32 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Got them in my facelifted classic (crystal headlights).

They're ok, certainly better than standard bulbs, produce a nice bright white light. Problem is I don't think the headlamps themselves do them justice, the reflector design is so bad. Suspect the crappy thin wire also doesn't help, might be worth relaying them with a direct feed from the battery. Had Osram Silver Stars before and they're certainly on a par with them.

Worth £25 a pair (Power Bulbs - autobulbs, autolamps, xenon headlights, car bulbs, headlight bulbs, osram silverstar, silver star, philips vision plus, philips blue vision, bluevision)? Not sure...

With the availability of cheap HID conversions might be worth considering one of them for the longer term