bulb questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 04:39 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bulb questions

Hi

I'm off to france soon and need to buy a bulb replacement kit as this is required under french law. I've got a 06 wrx type uk, and my manuel tells me that I need one type of bulb if I have HID lights, and another if I don't. It doesn't tell me though which one I have, which is very helpful...

So, first question - can anyone confirm that I do have HID lights (assume so as a new car?)

Secondly, can anyone recommed anywhere to buy a kit that will have all the bulbs (headlinght, fog etc) I need in it?

Lastly, the HID bulbs look really expensive - can I buy a non HID bulb to satisfy the froggies that I can also use in my wrx if I need to?

cheers
Old 04 December 2006, 09:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I don't think you'll have HID lights unless the car was a JDM import. If you have, you can check by looking at the colour, (bluish, compared to main beam's yellow), and also, get someone else to turn them on and look and see if they come on bright, then build up over a few seconds to REALLY bright.

Halogen does neither of the above

Alcazar
Old 04 December 2006, 08:22 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I think the need for a spare set of bulbs for France is either an urban myth or out of date, quick google search brings up this which says they're recommended.

If you do decide to get one then HID "bulbs" are about £70. But as they last at least 10 times as long as conventional bulbs it's so unlikely to blow when you're away that I really wouldn't even contemplate spending this much.

If you want to be seen to be complying the recommendation then get a replacement bulb kit with a normal H4 bulb in it.
Old 05 December 2006, 01:34 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice. The lights do build up over a few seconds, so assume that they are HID. I will just get H4s to satisfy the french plod if needs be.