Notices

Morettes on type r

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2006, 09:39 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morettes on type r

I have just noticed that the two 'inside' front lights on my type r morettes don't come on. Outside two are fine, and when on main beam the get much brighter, Up to now I presumed this was because the 'inside' lights came on, but they don't. They stay off and just the 'outsides' get brighter.

Had this with my P1 and it took some time to sort out, and thanks to dave ball at tileys in bristol for eventually sorting out the problem. But i can't remember what on earth he did. I know at some stage I had the opposite and all four were on all the time and I became immensly unpopular very suddenly.

Anyone any ideas - seems too much of a coincidence that two inside bulbs have gone??
Old 02 September 2006, 12:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

OK, just back from hols, and found this.

If you haven't sorted it yet, firstly, are they GENUINE Morettes, not cheap copies from E-Bay?

If so, they have H4 twin filament bulbs in the outers, and single filament H2 bulbs in the inners.

The outers do dip, and the second filament in the H4 lights up to give main beam. That's why they get brighter when you select main beam.

Now to the inners: on genuine Morettes, they should light up on main beam, giving you double the light output. They should go off automatically when you reselect dip.

To do this, you need a standard on/off, four, or if you can find one, five terminal relay, preferably with a fuse on it.

Use a Scotchlok connector to link to the main beam lead supplying the n/s H4 bulb. Take this lead to relay terminal 85. Take another lead from relay terminal 86 to battery, or similar, earth.

Now take TWO leads from relay terminal 87, (or BOTH therminal 87's if your relay has 5 terminals), to your inner lights. Don't forget to earth the inners back to the battery. The inners SHOULD have two leads coming out of each, one supply, one earth. Take the covers off to find which is supply, TRY not to connect them back to front, ie: supply to earth!

Finally, take a lead from battery +ve to relay terminal 30, via a suitable fuse, unless your relay has one.

Suitable fuse for two 55w bulbs would be 15A.

PM me, or post again if I can help further.

Alcazar