rear wiper will not park!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 01:55 PM
mobile mouse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wiper will not park!!!!!

Hi all,

Just found out that my rear wiper on my MY97 waggon will not park.

It used to but now just stops when you switch it off any thoughts.

Maybe this is a common thing I know the car is getting on a bit but nothing else has stopped working reliability is second to none.

Any thoughts, is there a quick fix or do i need a new motor!!!!!

Or just live with it......

cheers....
Old 01 February 2006, 05:46 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think there was a relay offside 'under' the rear lamps (behind the trim). This may be the problem. I am fairly sure I had to replace in my previous wagon (either that or I am thinking of a completely different car). Will have a look at mine in the morning!

Neil.
Old 02 February 2006, 06:12 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Yep there it is! If you put your hand down behind the trim after removing the little cover behind the driver's side rear light, you should be able to locate it (nearer the inside of the car, a bit below the lamp unit).

It will be a 5-pin 'change over' relay, which, I think, switches power from wipe to park circuit. Now you may have to check carefully as mine had a pin layout unlike any relay I had ever seen before (i.e. not normal 5pin) and I had to use a few short bits of wire to plug into the socket, then connect to the correct pins on a new 'normal' relay.

If you aren't up to figuring this out, let me know and I'll give some more details!

Neil.
Old 06 March 2006, 02:58 AM
dscoobydoo
Scooby Newbie

I also may have this issue, so more details would be great!

Cheers!
Drew
Old 07 March 2006, 07:08 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by dscoobydoo
I also may have this issue, so more details would be great!

Cheers!
Drew
OK, so where are you at? Have you found the relay?

Neil.
Old 08 March 2006, 05:29 AM
dscoobydoo
Scooby Newbie

I am in the West Coast of the US. Somehow the dealer can't seem to find me the correct relay, as I have already ordered two that do not fit the correct pin-outs. My Brother is in Japan, so I am trying to have him source out the correct one, but failing that, I would love to know how you went from a 5-pin relay converting it to a 4-pin relay. Pics would be great! or even figuring out how to use these other 5-pin relays with a bit of wire and ends would be good also.

Cheers!

Drew
Old 08 March 2006, 01:09 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dscoobydoo
I am in the West Coast of the US. Somehow the dealer can't seem to find me the correct relay, as I have already ordered two that do not fit the correct pin-outs. My Brother is in Japan, so I am trying to have him source out the correct one, but failing that, I would love to know how you went from a 5-pin relay converting it to a 4-pin relay. Pics would be great! or even figuring out how to use these other 5-pin relays with a bit of wire and ends would be good also.

Cheers!

Drew
Right... IIRC, there was a diagram on top of the relay that showed which pins did what... All I did was match up the functions to a 'normal' 5-pin (sometimes called change-over) relay and made up 5 short bits of wire with a female connector one end (new relay plugs into these) and male on the other (plugs into original connector on car).

Now all this is obviously not very helpful without knowing the actual pins to connect! If you can have a look at your relay and see if there is a diagram, and if so take a picture, I can tell you which is which... otherwise I will have to have a look at mine... which I probably won't be able to get round to until the weekend. (Will PM you my email in case you can get picture).

Neil.
Old 08 March 2006, 09:54 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

I've got this prob too

Found the relay but cannot remove it (it's dark and raining so didn't want to spend too long on it)
Is there some kind of locking mechanism holding it or is it just a case of giving it a good tug?

Cheers,

Gus
Old 09 March 2006, 01:28 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GU5
I've got this prob too

Found the relay but cannot remove it (it's dark and raining so didn't want to spend too long on it)
Is there some kind of locking mechanism holding it or is it just a case of giving it a good tug?

Cheers,

Gus
Honestly.... Can't remember! But I don't think there was. Too dark after work for me at the mo - but will try to have a look at weekend and let you know! I should point out that the one I did was quite a few years back now, so until I go and look at mine again, this is all from memory...

Neil.
Old 12 March 2006, 04:47 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GU5
I've got this prob too

Cheers,

Gus
Well if yours is anything like mine... you probably will struggle as it looks like the relay is screwed to the car! You MAY be able to push the relay & plug down off of the bracket (it is s bit of metal - screwed to the car at the top, relay 'slots on' to the bottom) but can't be sure.

Due to this 'slight hitch', haven't had a chance to properly check out the pins, but if you can send me a picture Drew, I'll do my bit!