Notices

MY02 STI No Alarm Siren

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2006, 02:22 PM
Nicksti02
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY02 STI No Alarm Siren

I have a MY02 STI Type UK with the Standard Subaru fitted alarm, (Blue/Black Key Fob). Since owning the car I took it for granted that the alarm worked correctly. I have tried to set the siren off so that I can identify the sound of the alarm without success. When locking / unlocking the car the indicators flash as they should, (no audible indication). I have set the alarm off and see the indicators flashing however no siren is heard. Is this a common fault? Is there a switch / code on the alarm to enable / disable this key feature?

Thanks
Old 01 February 2006, 01:27 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

No the siren output when triggered cannot be turned off.
It is possible that if the vehicle battery has been run completely flat at sometime (has the vehicle every been into a bodyshop for a repair?) that the data connection between the siren and alarm unit has come out of sync.
This can be rectified by unpluging the siren connector from the alarm unit, dissassembling the siren and placing a piece of wire directly accross the back-up battery for a short time to discharge it. When the siren is reassembled and re-connected to the alarm it will re-synchronise and should operate correctly.
Obviously this is a little involved, so may be best entrusted to a dealer - they are unlikely to know this fix, so I would give them a copy of this post (and ask them to contact Sigma technical if in any doubt about it's content)
If this doesn't rectify the problem then the siren circuitry may have been damaged (possibly due to water ingress), but this would be apparent when carrying out the above fix.
SS
Old 01 February 2006, 09:57 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

ss
placing a piece of wire directly accross the back-up battery for a short time to discharge it. SS
Sam,

That won't do any battery any good. Wouldn't a load such as a bulb be a better suggestion?

Ian
Old 02 February 2006, 06:05 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Perhaps, I'm no expert on re-chargeable cells!
The wire method has always done the trick for me in the past without any obvious detrimental effects, however, I'll give the bulb method ago next time....
SS
Old 05 February 2006, 05:11 PM
Nicksti02
Scooby Newbie

Sam,
where is the alarm unit located? What colour is the siren data cable? Where is the Siren located?

Thanks
Nick
Old 05 February 2006, 10:46 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Nicksti02,
It might be more prudent to keep information like this private.
Sigma Sam would be remiss posting something so sensitive in the public domain.

So how do I disconnect the alarm unit on a STi thanks awfully, which wire do I cut!!!
I am not implying thats the case here, but you don't know who is reading this.

Your dealer will be able to clarify the alarm units location, and siren location.

Cheers
MTR
Old 05 February 2006, 11:29 PM
Nicksti02
Scooby Newbie

Point taken,

Cheers Nick.