Notices

UK 97 Turbo On Board Diagnostic port

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2005, 04:12 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UK 97 Turbo On Board Diagnostic port

Does anyone know where the (OBD2) interface port is or even if I have one?

I have seen a lot from the Americans on the net about this on later cars but can find no clue as to where to find the socket on my UK car, or if there is one or if it is of any use.

Can anyone help ?
Thanks

(UK 97 Turbo)
Old 17 October 2005, 05:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There isn't a OBD or OBDII port. Only a data link port under the dash for the select monitor or compatible diagnostic tool. Which doesn't conform to OBD standards.

Also there are four single pin conectors under the driver's side dash : two green, two black. These connect to each other: black to black, Green to green.

Can't remember which one does what but:

With one connected and the other disconnected and ignition ON it will read the ECU memory by flashing the fault codes up on the "check engine" light. If no fault, it will just blink at regular spaced intervals. If the engine is running it will continuously remain lit.

With the other one connected and previous disconnected and ignition ON (engine at operating temperature) it will put the ECU into diagnotic mode, in which all the actuators (fans, purge solonoids etc) are cycled to help with fault finding. When the engine has ran over 2000rpm for 30seconds the check engine light with flash at regular intervals to indicate everything is ok, any other sequence indicates a fault

With both connected and ignition ON (engine must be at operating temperature) it will clear the ECU memory and reset the adaptive fuel/ignition mapping to default. After the engine has been ran over 2000rpm for about 30seconds the check engine light with flash at regular intervals to indicate everything is ok, any other sequence indicates a fault.

Hope that helps

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 October 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 18 October 2005, 09:35 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
There isn't a OBD or OBDII port. Only a data link port under the dash for the select monitor or compatible diagnostic tool. Which doesn't conform to OBD standards.

Also there are four single pin conectors under the driver's side dash : two green, two black. These connect to each other: black to black, Green to green.

Can't remember which one does what but:

With one connected and the other disconnected and ignition ON it will read the ECU memory by flashing the fault codes up on the "check engine" light. If no fault, it will just blink at regular spaced intervals. If the engine is running it will continuously remain lit.

With the other one connected and previous disconnected and ignition ON (engine at operating temperature) it will put the ECU into diagnotic mode, in which all the actuators (fans, purge solonoids etc) are cycled to help with fault finding. When the engine has ran over 2000rpm for 30seconds the check engine light with flash at regular intervals to indicate everything is ok, any other sequence indicates a fault

With both connected and ignition ON (engine must be at operating temperature) it will clear the ECU memory and reset the adaptive fuel/ignition mapping to default. After the engine has been ran over 2000rpm for about 30seconds the check engine light with flash at regular intervals to indicate everything is ok, any other sequence indicates a fault.

Hope that helps

Thanks very much Ali - I have had bits of trim and wires pulled all over the place, I guess Imprezas went OBDII after 97. There seems to be conflicting evidence from when around the world.

I wanted to see if I was getting any knocking as my old plugs are quite white - potential old MAF problem, but I'll post a thread with pictures of the plugs.

Thanks again for clearing up the OBDII question though.
Clint