ECU Questions

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 11:23 PM
Smilbertilgy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU Questions

Hi all,

MY94 WRX is really odd to say the least, the CEL comes on and goes off like a yoyo.... V.Fast even when CEL is on.

PS:- Before u all call me a looney for braying the car when the CEL is i didn't nail it at first, when the CEL was on i found that if i either taped the throttle several times at tickover or whilst at high revs the cel will go out until the next time the car is started or until i drive like miss daisy again after a good run.

Power is affected when in lower gears but when on the move its just a bit lacking in boost, CEL goes out, back to rocket ship.

My main problem with this is it can also catch u out, meaning last weekend whilst doing the coast roads, i ended up going sideways a little too often due to the extra power when the CEL droped off and then come on again.
Although this was fun, the ditches when get bigger and my a&$e was starting to twitch.

Anyone got any idea!!! Maybe chiped, i'm not sure......
Old 31 March 2005, 11:59 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

You can find out the likely cause of the CEL by carrying an ECU diagnostic check shown HERE.
To find out whether the ECU has been 'chipped' - Look under the passenger side footwell carpet where you will find a metal kickplate. Remove the kickplate and you will find the ECU. It may have some tuner Id's stuck to it but a more positive method would be to remove the ECU's cover by removing the 6 screws. If there is a chip/additional board in the 28pin holder shown below then the ECU has been 'chipped'

Cheers
Old 03 April 2005, 10:42 PM
Smilbertilgy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hey delboy

I've tried the CEL checks and got codes 21,22,23,24 which means nothing unless you know of anyone whos got a my94 in hull whose willing to swap parts to help me find the faulty sencor, i also checked ecu and theres no chip were u said.....

What does strike me as odd is that i took the car to a local garage and had the ecu plugged in to check for faults, it had a few old stored and a few recent apparently...problem being when they tried to reset the codes from there panel they would not reset...

HELP!!!!!
Old 03 April 2005, 11:05 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm - with the amount of CEL's codes being stored and the flashing CEL/varied performance could be suggesting you either have a 'dodgy' earth/s (which Scoobs suffer from) or a bad connection/s at one of the main loom plugs

Cheers
Old 03 April 2005, 11:55 PM
Smilbertilgy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its worth a try, weres the usual places on the loom were the earths go dodgy mate

I'll have to check all the connectors at the ecu end and the sensor end....
cheers