Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 06:06 AM
ilnmcom
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of EDM Projectors

Hey guys-

Writing you from the states:

I have a friend who will be in the UK for two weeks starting this Saturday. Does anyone know the going rate for EDM projectors from Subie dealerships? Its not required that they be HIDs.

If anyone is selling in the Oxford area, I may be interested in that too.

Thanks so much.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:22 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Does anyone know the going rate for EDM projectors

Give us a clue, whats an EDM projector? Must be some kind of English (US) / Eniglish (English) language thing because neither EDM or projector mean anything to me.....
Old 13 August 2004, 04:35 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

EDM = European Domestic Market

Projectors = I guess crystal halogen headlamps or driving lamps.
Old 13 August 2004, 06:42 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

EDM projectors with HID aren't standard equipment over here in the UK

We have projectors fitted to the STis but they are halogen bulbs only in OE fit. It's possible to get aftermarket HID kits (H1 bulbs for the dipped beam) and create your own. I was part of a group buy from Autolamps for these a while back to go in some WR Sport / Prodrive lights.

The only way to get OE HID projectors for UK cars AFAIK is to get JDM ones but then you'd have to convert them to your side of the road - I remember reading threads on NASIOC about people doing it but it doesn't seem to be for the faint-hearted

I believe true HID lamp systems have a slightly different design of projector to cater for the OE spec bulbs - my JDM STi ones use D2S bulbs rather than H1 etc. Once you get used to the different colour temperature and reflection properties of the light, they can be awesome round country lanes

HTH

Andy
Old 13 August 2004, 06:45 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just reread you post - should have been paying more attention

If you don't want HID and want standard EDM then I think you are looking at something like 200 to 300 gbp per light - maybe a pair for 500 gbp These are dealer prices, secondhand could be 200-300 a pair depending on condition etc. but they are a bit of a rarity to find as quite a few WRX owners snap them up to replace the original bugeyes...

Andy

Last edited by Apple; 13 August 2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 13 August 2004, 08:44 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

If you haven't done already, post in the "Wanted" section - you never know your luck...
Old 13 August 2004, 10:38 PM
ilnmcom
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks Guys

Awesome. Thats effectivly what I'm looking for.

They basically look like the JDM STi Projectors but with the correct light pattern. Either EDM or JDM is illegal in the US because they're not DOT (Dept. of Transportation) Approved, but I thought I'd be somewhat responsible.

(Americans would never want to go ticking people off. heh)

I'll post in the Wanted section. If anyone sees this and is selling, you can email me at mark@ilnm.com.
Old 15 August 2004, 01:07 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why do you want EDM projectors or use in the States if they're "illegal" and you're potentially not going to convert them? I know from my JDM HID setup that I'd be well p1ssed off if somebody came towards me with the lamps set for the "wrong" side of the road...

We can't get USDM lights over here as people don't tend to import US spec vehicles and dealers don't have anything to do with them. Do USDM STi's not have projector type lights like our UK STis? Are they just like WRX lights?

Andy
Old 21 August 2004, 09:01 AM
ilnmcom
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Apple
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why do you want EDM projectors or use in the States if they're "illegal" and you're potentially not going to convert them? I know from my JDM HID setup that I'd be well p1ssed off if somebody came towards me with the lamps set for the "wrong" side of the road...
I'm looking to purchase the EDMs so that I don't **** off people. I hate the ones here in the states who bought the JDMs with the incorrect light pattern. Whenever I see them in oncoming lanes I get blinded. Its rude. So, I'm willing to pay more to get the less common EDMs shipped here to avoid driving irresponsibly.

Originally Posted by Apple
We can't get USDM lights over here as people don't tend to import US spec vehicles and dealers don't have anything to do with them. Do USDM STi's not have projector type lights like our UK STis? Are they just like WRX lights?

Andy
You wouldn't want USDMs as they don't come HID or Projector. Only halogens are availible state side. The DOT (Dept. of Transportation) is really picky about HIDs and only seem to want to let them slide on BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. They're ugly. As to the STi. It only became availible post-bugeye. So, even if it did come with the better lights, they wouldn't fit because of the newer styling.