Notices

P1 HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2001, 01:31 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just taken delivery of my P1 this week. The car has the HID driving light upgrade supplied as part of the WR pack. I have only turned the HIDs on once or twice for no more than a 1-2 min interval. I I Tried to use them lastnight but they did not come on. This morning I checked the fuse and it had blown. Replaced now and all hunky-dory. I am a little concerned that a fuse has gone with such little use. What is the best way of using these lights. Can you have them permanently on with full beam all the time? I get the feeling that they should not be truned on and then off quickly i.e. full beam, dipped beam (car passes) full beam. Anyone got any experience with them or advice. They're bloody amazing once on though.
Old 30 September 2001, 12:30 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I too have these on PTMW!

So far, I've not had any problem with them. That includes flashing people & dipping, head, dipping driving & major back road blasts with them on for long periods (it's nice living in the boonies I just use them like I would any other headlight.

AFAIK no-one else [who has HIDs] has had any problem with blowing fuses. They only draw minimal power (25W?) & when turned on, there is a high-voltage box (like a coil) that deals with the initial requirement.

A quick call to Pete @ Scoobysport will answer more technical than I and he has them on his MY01.

I do love dark winter nights

Old 01 October 2001, 10:23 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Smile

PTMW, Thanks for the reply. I have used them a bit more over the weekend and am using them a little more as you described. No problems since my initial enquiry. They are amazing when on dark country roads . Only problem now is when you have to go back to dipped beam. "Wheres everything gone?" Upgrade of main and sidelights required methinks. But which ones....?
Old 03 October 2001, 03:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Yeah - that is a problem isn't it?

I got Scoobysport's Bright Whites - dunno what they exactly are, but compliment the HID on full beam (no yellow light) & are better when dipped - £20 ???

Pair of same in sidelights - £5 (you'll need to do this as they look cr@p compared to new bulbs as above )

Old 03 October 2001, 08:34 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

PualMC,

What was the rating of the fuse you replaced?

I ask this because I fitted the HIDs to my P1 myself as I was not prepared to pay £150.00 + VAT that my dealer wanted to charge me.

Any way the kit came with a 20A fuse but did no show where it had to be fitted!

I only found out where it had to go when the same thing happened to me, since fitting the 20A fuse I've not had any problem with them.

The standard fuse fitted to the P1 for the normal driving lights is a 15A

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Rob
Old 15 October 2001, 02:40 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A late reply. I ve been busy . Rob it was a 20 fuse rating. Since the change, no problems. PTMW, I shall be getting scoobysport to fit some uprated healdlight bulbs and sidelight bulbs when they do the downpipe sometime next month.

Thanks for the help.

Paul