Notices

rear stop/tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 10:55 PM
Stev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My 94 Impreza 5dr has developed a strange problem on the rear offside stop/tail light.
I recently changed the offside bulb with a 12v 21/5w stop/tail light and have established that when I switch the lights on the nearside stop light element on the bulbs (very bright) is being lit instead of the tail light element. I have now changed both nearside/offside bulbs and swapped them around, but this does not change anything.
I am not sure if is likely to be a failed relay or some other type of circuitry problem, as my auto electrical knowledge is a tad limited. Has anyone experienced this bulb element reversal problem on the stop/tail lights, or know what the likely cause is?
Old 13 August 2001, 11:01 PM
Stev
Scooby Regular

Re above note, which has conflicting info ,
due to brain fade . The problem was and still is with the off side rear light.
Old 14 August 2001, 07:54 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

got to ask it but have you got the offset locating pins on the bulb in their right holes as one is higher than the other quite a common thing to do get them round the wrong way and it gives the prob you got also try another bulb its not uncommon for the elements to touch each other in the base of the bulb it's bound to be one of these two
Old 14 August 2001, 01:09 PM
Stev
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for that Scoobyboy. I have tried to change the bulbs around, but it did not look like one pin was higher than the other. I should have thought about the contacts though and looked at the contacts on the
bulb holder to make sure they are lining up.
The bulbs are not Subaru bulbs ( were listed as being suitable though) , but I suspect strongly that you are right and that the bulb contacts are not lining up with the correct contacts in the bulb holder. I will check this out and probably try a different bulb manufacturer before doing anything else.

Thanks again for the info.