Notices

knocklink problem

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 04:03 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy knocklink problem

To set the picture, I have fitted a knocklink (3 weeks ago) which works fine, however every so often the dimly lit green LED goes out and it appears the unit is not working. (particularly if the engine is booted to around 5500rpm+ that usually gives a one or two green LED indication). If I press the corner of the unit by the lowest green LED (bottom left as looking at unit) the LED appears to come on or go out as if there is some loose connection inside the unit.
There is no change if on and the connector is moved around, only if the unit has a little pressure applied in the bottom left corner!
Has anyone else had a similar problem or can offer a solution in preference to sending the unit back to be repaired that would be great. Have looked for a circuit diagram on the net but surprisingly enough there isn't one.

Thanks

Richard
Old 26 May 2004, 04:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a dry solder joint. Open it up and see if there's any cracks in the power cable solder joint to the board.

Any manual fixes would most likely invalidate the warranty on the unit. I would send it back if you sourced it from the UK.

Stefan
Old 26 May 2004, 08:46 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

thanks, did phone the company today and they suggested to return it and they would get it fixed in a couple of days so for the sake of waranty I think that is to be the option.
Old 31 May 2004, 09:05 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

If anybody is interested, technician at work had a look at it for me and found some of the soldering was rather poor and consequently fixed it with no need to send to company.
Old 31 May 2004, 09:44 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

Just out of intrest how many lights can you turn on when you floor it ?

I can make mine twinkle like a christmas tree before i hit 6000 ? on a 03wrx
Old 01 June 2004, 08:35 AM
roguck
Scooby Regular

When I floor it, I get some green(s) starting around 5500rpm ish then upwards I can get ambers but does depend on air temp and fuel. Optimax and cold day less likely to get the ambers. I do find that I don't really have to take it above 5000 usually as then pull from 2600 to this point is really strong.
I have a my99 so the TD04 standard turbo is running out of puff much above 5500rpm anyway!
In addition I have a TEK 3 remap-from someone elses car-by John Banks. The map is similar to a TEK 2 and described as a "safe performance map". Only other significant mods include a green panel filter, centre decat and intercooler hoses.
Old 01 June 2004, 12:32 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Monkeh, thats not right and will go pop unless you get it looked at Ambers aren't ideal either...

MB

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2004, 02:57 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

ought to point out the odd ambers on mine are when it goes up and over the 6000 point but for 99% of my driving the knock link simply sits there asleep!!!! with the usual dim green glow.
But have to agree if you are getting the Christmas tree effect look for a cause such as high boost or lean running at the top end. Other problems can be caused if you have a full decat and no remap from my understanding.