Notices

blue headlamp bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 02:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

just bought a full set of front headlamp bulbs for my01 wrx. i got the philips blue-vision headlamp, foglamp, sidelight and clear indicator bulbs for 67.50 for the lot !!

check out
Old 18 April 2001, 04:06 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Hi Druddle,

What fitment did you get for the side lights?
I bought the headlight bulbs to, but it doesn't look like the side light are available in H4,
I'm probably wrong,
Regards,
Andyp

Old 18 April 2001, 04:56 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Druddle

I am waiting for delivery of my MY01 WRX
I haven't been able to look closely at the headlights yet. The clear indicator bulbs you bought for the WRX, are they for the front headlights ? If so I take it the Orange indicator bulb cover comes out okay ?

Cheers

Nathan
Old 18 April 2001, 07:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

druddle,

sorry to be dim- the site doesnt list MY01, is that because the bulbs are the same as the pre 01 car? also how do the indicator bulbs work if you do away with the orange cover?

tiggs
Old 18 April 2001, 08:55 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tiggs
The way I have been lead to believe it works is that the clear lens is actually pearlescent, like the paintwork on a car. When light is illuminated through the glass the pearl effect makes it orange.
I have seen VW Golf headlights with these bulbs and the headlight looks alot better and cleaner looking especially if all of your lenses are white.
Hope that makes sense
Cheers M8

Nathan.
Old 19 April 2001, 09:48 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

To find out the bulbs that I needed, they didnt specify exactly on the site what to get so I consulted the handbook.

Headlamps: H4 - 12v. 60/55w
Foglamps: H3 12v. 55w
Sidelights: W5W bulb
Indicators: P21W bulb

Fosmo told me that they only have the PY21W indicator bulbs and they have a slight offset on the pins, so they are not sure if they will fit properly, but have sent me the bulbs and said i can send them back and get a full refund if they dont fit.

It looks a bit of a bugger to get the bulbs in as on one side you may have to move the battery and the other side you will probably have to move bits of the induction kit !! havent put mine in yet but its going in to Subaru for a boost gauge to be fitted so I will get them to do it !!!!!!
Old 20 April 2001, 01:32 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just fitted the bulbs meself. You have to take the headlight out to get at the sidelight bulb - it involved removing the grille and the little bodywork bits either side. Headlight and foglight bulbs were straightforward.

There were 3 bolts for the headlights and one plastic lug at the bottom that required a bit of tugging on the headlamp to get it out. There are 3 bolts to get the foglights out and a spring clip holding the bulb in.

As for the indicator then its impossible to get the orange reflector out without opening the unit up. Maybe a job for Subaru i think !! Philips Silvervision bulbs are not available in the P21W for the Subaru at the moment.

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 22 April 2001, 12:32 PM
Stully
Scooby Newbie

I myself have bought some Philips VisionPlus
sorry there not blue but on opening the bonet I don't seem to be able to remove the resident bulb!!! With a PIAA relay in the way on the near side and the induction inlet on the off side what do I do my hands are to big to worm around the stuff and replace the bulbs? Should I remove the grill and then remove the indicators then remove each headlamp by the 4 retaining bolts or!!!

Help is required for what people call a simple operation.

regards,

Stully
Old 22 April 2001, 03:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

stully,

i had same problem- got subaru to do it on 1st service instead

tiggs
Old 22 April 2001, 10:29 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Its very easy to get the induction inlet off, 2 bolts and a gentle tug. the other side is a bit fiddly and you need a bit of patience !!

the buggers are the sidelights. dont forget to change these if you have blue vision headlamps as then you have blue headlights and yellow sidelights on at the same time !!! while you are there do the foglights too.

the manual says you can get the sidelight bulbs out by pulling from the back of the headlight while its in place, but i had to remove both headlight units to get at the sidelight bulbs as i dont have hands the size of a 2 yr old !!!!!!!

to remove the headlamp units you need to take the grille and plastic surrounds off too.

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 22 April 2001).]