Notices

Help - Airbag Warning Light?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 1999, 02:46 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The other day I started the car and the car beeped twice and the airbag warning light stayed on a couple of seconds longer than it used to do.

Is my airbag faulty?

Andy

PS. Does anyone know what the airbag warning light is actually hooked up to? i.e. what does the sensor do?
Old 18 December 1999, 12:04 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

The warning light is either connected directly to the SRS box of tricks located on the tunnel thingie behind the dash, or the car ECU. It sort of goes like this:

The Car ECU first sends the signal to the SRS unit to ask if its OK, and while this is happenning, the warning light stays on. The SRS unit carries out its internal diagnostic check and recieves the 'OK' signal back from the airbag if all is well. Then the car ECU then receives the 'cheers mate' from the SRS unit saying all is well, and then the warning light is switched off in the process.

Phew, got that out. In answer to the timing of all of this, I know that a fault is there only if the light stays on. I've never really timed the warning light... but I suppose as all the systems of a car is checked at one stage on ignition, maybe the order of this fluctuates a bit..

Hope that helps.
Old 20 December 1999, 09:22 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stuart,

From what you are syaing if the light does turn itself off then it must have received the OK from the SRS and things are alright. Fingers crossed it doesn't go off in my face!

Cheers,

Andy