Notices

Defi Problem

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 10:26 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defi Problem

I've had an intermittent problem with my defi boost gauge. Sometimes it works fine, then other times it fails completely and I'm left with a gauge doing nothing bar flashing the warning light twice in succession followed by a pause, then twice again etc.

Now this is the same as what happens when I connect my EGT gauge up without the probe attached on the end, so assumed it was the boost sensor playing up.

While at a point where it was all working again, I fitted a new boost sensor, and the gauge seemed to work fine. My first drive since, I got 200 yards down the road and it froze again and went into the flashing mentioned above.

So that leaves the control unit, the power wiring to that (though the gauge still gets power - maybe a bad connection?) and the harness from the control unit to the gauge, or the gauge itself.

Any thoughts anyone - this is doing my head in, and the new sensor cost 60 quid I'm on the rollers on sat and wanted to see what the boost was doing in comparison to another run, looks like thats out the window now
Old 25 March 2004, 11:16 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Defi site says:

CONDITION

*The warning LED lamp is flashing ON and OFF.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

*There is a wire short circuit somewhere.
*There is a wire broken, or disconnected.
*Set the wrong cylinders number.

REMEDY

*Confirm that no wires are touching the vehicle body.
*Confirm that there are no wire broken or the connectors are not disconnected.
*Confirm that the setting of cylinders number is correct.
So I know the sensor part is ok, as I've tried another. Next test will be checking the wiring to the Control Unit power, and the lead going from control unit to the gauge to check there is no broken wires using a circuit tester..........
Old 25 March 2004, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

You seem to have done the spadework. Have you tried the lead from the sensor to the control box? especially where it passes through any grommets/tight spots etc.

IIRC, the sender unit has the wire to the control box incorporated in it? Is there any obvious damage? Have you looked at the connector at the c/b end? One of mine fell off, (the plastic bit) so perhaps you have a loose connector inside? Or two connectors touching at the outer edge?

If all else fails, contact Defi in Japan, by e-mail, they are very helpful.

Alcazar
Old 25 March 2004, 02:17 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply matey.

I've had a fiddle around again (checked plugs and wires into them etc as much as poss without circuit tester) at lunchtime and *may* have cracked it.

Its now working again. I had it set up so the boost and egt sensor wires were plumbed into the control unit. Then cable out to the boost gauge and the link wire out of that for the EGT but not plugged in (done this because the sensor is not fitted yet so you just get the warning flashing which is irritating!) Anyway, looked in the a pillar pod and the wire that should go into the EGT gauge which was loose was in a small puddle of water. Mopped it up and dried the wire, plugged into the EGT gauge, and bingo - all working again. I've left it all connected up, plugged in the EGT sensor and just tied it up in the engine bay for now. Fingers crossed it might be ok now