Improved headlights/xenon possible??

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 10:56 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Having been in my workmates' beemer this evening, it was so noticable that visibility was so much better with xenon headlights than my my98 scoob whicg is pretty crap in comparison. Is there anything that can replace the exisiting lamps or even decent bulbs for the main headlights (not driving lights replacing the front fogs) that can be had to improve things?

thanks

si
Old 28 January 2004, 09:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

IMHO, the main problem with classic Scoob lights is the poor reflector/lens assembly, ie: the light itself, rather than the bulb. It tends to put light all over the place, and doesn't do a very good job of controlling it.:

Uprated bulbs go SOME way towards making this better, but obviously, you still put the uprated light all over the place!
If you do go this route, try Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter, or GE 60% brighter, as they don't need uprated wiring, and are relatively cheap.

If you try uprated bulbs and still don't think they are good enough, you've not wasted money as they can also go in Morettes.

Next comes a change of lights to Morette quad lights, which give you a proper Cibie round main/dip, (which can have the uprated bulbs too, and does a better job of putting the light where it should be), and also have an inner pair of extra main beams.

You could also buy a Hi-Low Xenon kit from Autolamps, which replaces the H4 bulb with a Xenon for main and dip. There has been an extensive discussion of this recently....do a search for "Feed back on Hi-Low kit", (could have been spelled Hy-Low).

The above Xenons could be used in the OE lights, (but we're back to their poor design), or in the outers of the Morettes.

At the moment I'm running Morettes with GE 60% uprated bulbs in the outers,(Also from Autolamps), and standard bulbs in the inners, and a pair of Scoobysport HID driving lights. My only criticism is that I'd like the driving lights to be a BIT higher mounted.......but now we're into SCOOB design!!:

Alcazar
Old 28 January 2004, 11:37 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcazar,
Didn't ask the origional question but found the reply you sent very informative . Thanks for taking the time to type all that and provide help to what's probably a significant number of people suffering from whats (IMHO) one of the poorer bits of the Impreza design/development.

Regards,
John
Old 29 January 2004, 10:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

:
Alcazar
Old 29 January 2004, 08:30 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular