Notices

Why Visionplus and how does it work

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 10:19 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Philips Vision plus range achieves its increase in performance by increased luminance not increased lumens as in a Rally lamp.

Your headlamp beam is just simply thousands of images of your filament spread out across the road. You can check this if you like. Park your car against a wall at night. Cover one headlamp so you get no light and hold a piece of card with a pin hole in it over the other headlamp. As you move the card over the headlamp lens surface you will see your lamp filament move around in many different orientations. Now that you have seen what your headlamp beam really is the filament is very important. Luminance is the technical term used to measure the brightness of an object per square metre, cdM3. If you make the filament brighter you do not need to increase the wattage of the lamp (bulb) but you get a brighter beam, stands to reason. Now if you have something that is brighter it means that it is burning hotter. This means that the Tungsten molecules from the filament are evaporating quicker and the life will be much less. The answer to this is change the gas pressure and composition in the lamp to slow down the evaporation and thus lengthen the life of the product. Many Asian companies sell halogen lamps as XENON. This does absolutely nothing for the performance of the lamp it just lengthens the lamps life. However as less than 3% of the Asian lamps is actually XENON it makes no difference whatsoever

You do not however manage to achieve the life of the standard product but it’s not bad. For any of you that are confused the warranty on Philips lamps is purely manufacturing defects and you get nothing for the life of the product, I know I wrote it !. To see the effect the TC figure of the standard Philips H4 is approx 800 hours for the Visionplus its approx 500 hours.

The Osram range has a similar product but someone mentioned it was the same. Philips is unique in that their H4 is quartz glass the Osram is hardglass. If you are so inclined this means you can get the Philips lamp up to full operating temperature and then put it underwater. It will continue to burn acting as a water heater

If you would like to find out more in more detail it starts here
http://www.autolamps-online.com/howwhy/index.htm

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
Old 22 September 2003, 05:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Bulb guru...........sorry, bulbs are what daffs come out of:
Lamp guru...you should have been a teacher, m8.
Very interesting. Been on the site, and loved it.
Just wish I could afford yiour HID kit for my H4 Morettes.
Don't suppose you need anyone to test 'em for you.........?
Alcazar
Old 22 September 2003, 07:27 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

We often need cars for photography or specific harness design work. We also get trade in where people change their car and want to exchange their HID system. We also do a lot of press work where we get the 'demo' system back after use.

If anything comes up that I think may be of interest in H4 I will let you know.

What we do have today is some new GE Megaplus H4 with a claimed 60% in beam performance increase. I will send you a set of these to try and would be interested to hear how they compare with what you have got today.

Drop me a direct line with your address

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
Old 22 September 2003, 09:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Nick:, cheers for that.
My e-mail doesn't recognise that address.
Is there another?
Jeff
Old 23 September 2003, 09:16 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

sales@autolamps-online.com
Old 23 September 2003, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up