Notices

Morette bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2003, 12:43 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

what are the most powerful bulbs available to run in classic morettes without melting them?
Not worried about the legal side of things, just need daylight!!
Cheers

R
Old 08 May 2003, 01:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

A lot has been said about uprated bulbs on here, but I'll give you my experiences if they're any good to you:
Uprated wattage bulbs are OK, but CAN be dear to buy, and CAN last only a fraction of the time of ordinary ones, increasing the cost yet again. I'd had probs with 100W bulbs on another car, so didn't go this way.
Uprated wattage bulbs can cause melting of wiring, burning of the contacts/reflector, and arcing leading to premature bulb failure. Note that I say "can", not all do, on not all cars! They do really need uprated wiring with a relay, seperate fuse etc. And they are not "E" marked, so strictly illegal:
What I did do was to try Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter bulbs: none of the above probs, and they ARE better. Try Autolamps on line for a good price, and they were doing free matching sidelight bulbs too.
When you put 'em in make sure they are seated perfectly: slightly out will cause alignment probs, see below:
Before doing ANY uprating, take your car somewhere suitable, and check the alignment of the outer pair of lights. There's no point in buying ANY better bulbs if the lights are putting light everywhere!
What I do is to remove the fuse for the inner pair, select main beam, and cover one light,( Helper, or card cover and masking tape). Then align said light where it gives the best illumination, and repeat for the other side. You could try doing the same with the inners too: I remove the outer bulb connectors to do it, so as not to see their light.
This sometimes needs doing twice or more until you're satisfied, but you'd be surprised at the difference it makes if yours are badly aligned.
Alcazar
Old 08 May 2003, 02:00 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Many thanks !!!

R
Old 12 May 2003, 06:26 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

The standard bulbs in the Morrettes aren't that bad compared to the OEM lights. I had an old set of Halford Xenon (30% brighter) bulbs that I tried as I had them lying around and was VERY impressed. The sidelights bulbs then looked pants, so I bought some Phillips Blue thingys.

See Thread below http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=200590

It now lights the road up fine and sidelights match well.

Phill

PS Got my bulbs from the link on the other thread and they arrived within 2 days
Old 15 May 2003, 08:54 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

Question

Can anyone tell me what size bulbs are fitted in Morettes on an MY02. I'm thinking of replacing with Philips Vision Plus or Blue Vision.

Thanks

[Edited by missyc - 5/15/2003 9:18:20 PM]
Old 19 May 2003, 07:27 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Easyest way MissyC is to take one out & take to your friendly Motor Factors or to get them to have a look for you. I think they are the two pin type on yours (H2's) i think, Classic Morettes have H4 & H3.
Where abouts in the Peaks are you ? Im on the Edge, The Peaks that is

Dean
Old 19 May 2003, 11:02 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Dean

I'm the other side of Cat'n'Fiddle

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2003, 12:48 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sure the classic is a H4 standard bulb Can check tomorrow if you like ?

Phill
Old 20 May 2003, 11:41 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Babber,

Main Headlight on the Classic Morettes is H4 but the secondry unit is H3 I think, Simular to fog lights/Driving lights Etc.

MissyC,
I could almost throw a stone that far, Call in at BrockleHurst Motor factors on the Buxton Road in Leek, The will help you out & there prices are pretty good too

Dean
Old 20 May 2003, 04:37 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Recently replaced the bulbs in my MY02 WRX with morettes for Philips Blue Vision Ultra (or something like that) - H1 and H7 are the types and they come with blue vision sidelight bulbs as well.

Very pleased with the results, brighter output which is also a cleaner, crisper light as well.
Old 21 May 2003, 07:14 PM
missyc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers lucky
Old 21 May 2003, 11:11 PM
Pyrocam999
Scooby Regular

I used to run H4 80/100w in the outer and H1 100w in the inner, obviously had to upgrade the wiring with relays etc but they were fantastic. run for 2 yrs and never questioned once by plod
Old 07 December 2004, 08:03 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by alcazar
A lot has been said about uprated bulbs on here, but I'll give you my experiences if they're any good to you:
Uprated wattage bulbs are OK, but CAN be dear to buy, and CAN last only a fraction of the time of ordinary ones, increasing the cost yet again. I'd had probs with 100W bulbs on another car, so didn't go this way.
Uprated wattage bulbs can cause melting of wiring, burning of the contacts/reflector, and arcing leading to premature bulb failure. Note that I say "can", not all do, on not all cars! They do really need uprated wiring with a relay, seperate fuse etc. And they are not "E" marked, so strictly illegal:
What I did do was to try Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter bulbs: none of the above probs, and they ARE better. Try Autolamps on line for a good price, and they were doing free matching sidelight bulbs too.
When you put 'em in make sure they are seated perfectly: slightly out will cause alignment probs, see below:
Before doing ANY uprating, take your car somewhere suitable, and check the alignment of the outer pair of lights. There's no point in buying ANY better bulbs if the lights are putting light everywhere!
What I do is to remove the fuse for the inner pair, select main beam, and cover one light,( Helper, or card cover and masking tape). Then align said light where it gives the best illumination, and repeat for the other side. You could try doing the same with the inners too: I remove the outer bulb connectors to do it, so as not to see their light.
This sometimes needs doing twice or more until you're satisfied, but you'd be surprised at the difference it makes if yours are badly aligned.
Alcazar
I was out in the dark of night last night with the Morette'd car and boy are the lamps poor. I think they may be a bit better than the standard, but I would not like to damn with faint praise.

The Morettes were a total bugger to fit to a banana hand like me, look good in day light though, but I must upgrade the bulbs.

I don't want to disconnect them just to see which wattage bulbs are in them (they are "off the shelf" type) for the aforesaid reasons.

Does anyone know off-hand what the Classic Morette bulb ratings are, so that I can uprate them? I've seen different accounts of this.

Failing that, it's back to the originals, with the 100W bulbs.

Ta,

k.
Old 11 December 2004, 12:26 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard, Not sure what bulbs are in the lights, I gather H4 from the rest of the post`s ? if they are I have just "finished" a pair of piaa 150/100 `s the ceramic based "long life" bulbs, they were very good but the bulb life was short, about 6 months x 1 hr a day ish, I run constant lights on, both dip`s have now gone, I use 3 relays to power them , 1 for dip 2 for main, I now have piaa 180/130 ceramic`s but have to uprate my relay circuit to cope , Hopefully I should get round to it next week, :-) I will let you know how they are
Have a good one
Tim
ps please email me as I have had a pc "crash" and lost your details, got a nice exhaust tucked up nice and warm in my garage to bring you :-)
Old 11 December 2004, 05:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you aren't happy with your Morettes, I'd be interested to know if they are a) clean
b) set up properly?

I have Morettes on a classic. In the present sort of weather, they need cleaned every day, and sometimes half way througha journey..........the roads are so dirty that wet roads give VERY little reflection back to the driver, result: you can't see b*gger all.

If you're satisfied they are clean, you need to spend time setting up properly:

Select main beam, deselect inners by removing Morette fuse, and get someone/something to cover one side at a time while you do the other one. Do this on a carpark, long lonely straight road etc.

Now reselect inners by replacing fuse, cover BOTH outers and one inner at a time until you are satisfied. Mine took me AGES to set up properly, but once done they are pretty good

AFAIK, the outers are OE H4, 60/55W. Mine use GE Megalights H4, 60% brighter.
The inners are H2, 55W. I've left mine as standard 55W, as uprated H2 bulbs can cause FAR more probs than the benifits they give.

Give the setting up a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Alcazar

BTW: if you REALLY want to see on main beam, get some HID driving lights, see Hella's virtual light tunnel on their site!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 04:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I just changed the H1 dip beam bulbs in my morettes with Philips VisonPlus 50% they are pretty good.
Old 15 December 2004, 04:57 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you aren't happy with your Morettes, I'd be interested to know if they are a) clean
b) set up properly?

I have Morettes on a classic. In the present sort of weather, they need cleaned every day, and sometimes half way througha journey..........the roads are so dirty that wet roads give VERY little reflection back to the driver, result: you can't see b*gger all.

If you're satisfied they are clean, you need to spend time setting up properly:

Select main beam, deselect inners by removing Morette fuse, and get someone/something to cover one side at a time while you do the other one. Do this on a carpark, long lonely straight road etc.

Now reselect inners by replacing fuse, cover BOTH outers and one inner at a time until you are satisfied. Mine took me AGES to set up properly, but once done they are pretty good

AFAIK, the outers are OE H4, 60/55W. Mine use GE Megalights H4, 60% brighter.
The inners are H2, 55W. I've left mine as standard 55W, as uprated H2 bulbs can cause FAR more probs than the benifits they give.

Give the setting up a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Alcazar

BTW: if you REALLY want to see on main beam, get some HID driving lights, see Hella's virtual light tunnel on their site!!!
Nice one Alcazar, just the thorough reply I would expect from yourself.

Looks like I may be surfing for bulbs tonight...

HiD bulbs, yes please! I saw a guy with them on a Classic on Loch Lomond-side last Winter (might have been a P1), during a total minger of a rainstorm. And it knows how to rain in that area! They are well impressive, but unfortunately outside my budget at the mo. Are they not about £700?

Bulb quest commences!

Cheers for the info.

Regs,

K.
Old 15 December 2004, 07:10 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

No there are sets of HIDs inc ballast boxes around for 290 quid!
Old 17 December 2004, 02:38 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Richard Askew
No there are sets of HIDs inc ballast boxes around for 290 quid!

Thanks Richard.

Are there any URL's come to mind?

Ken
Old 02 July 2005, 08:34 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Smile

A downer on the current season, but something worth bearing in mind for later on.

Alcazar : could you please just spell out which bulbs you recommend to upgrade Morettes on a Classic? I would like to know, otherwise it's back to the originals.

H...Outers

H...Inners

Vision-Plus?

TIA.

K.
Old 12 July 2005, 04:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, just back from France.

Outers, H4, Philips Vision Plus or GE Megalights.

Inners, H2............leaver 'em be, for the reasons given, otherwise, you could TRY some H2 100W from Halfrauds etc..............

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 12:25 AM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Question

It's getting darker earlier and later now, so good lights are becoming a bigger issue. This afternoon I removed the Morettes and re-applied my originals.

As has been said, some cars' wiring can't accept the up-rated wattage (100W) but I seem to be lucky so far.

I've had a trawl for upgraded bulbs for the Morettes as suggested. ****, I've lost the "Post-It" where I recorded the specs; I could find alternatives for the outers but not the inners on the Morettes.

Any suggestions? My car doesn't have to be road-legal as I only use it on my private estate for rallying purposes.

K.

Last edited by Ken 275; 16 October 2005 at 12:27 AM. Reason: D'Oh : it's a MY 98
Old 16 October 2005, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ken: the inners on a classic Morette set-up are defo H2.

If you want to try uprated lamps in there, OK.

Try: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c.../lights-3.html

Looking at that site, they seem to do 130W lamps. Their prices are ex VAT and p&p.
You could aslo try Halfrauds, or a DECENT car shop.

PLEASE remember that uprated H2 lamps have caused problems in MUCH bigger reflectors than the Cibie inners you're thinking of putting them in............ It's the lampholders that seem to suffer.

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 01:20 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ken: the inners on a classic Morette set-up are defo H2.

If you want to try uprated lamps in there, OK.

Try: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c.../lights-3.html

Looking at that site, they seem to do 130W lamps. Their prices are ex VAT and p&p.
You could aslo try Halfrauds, or a DECENT car shop.

PLEASE remember that uprated H2 lamps have caused problems in MUCH bigger reflectors than the Cibie inners you're thinking of putting them in............ It's the lampholders that seem to suffer.

Alcazar
Thanks for your patience Alcazar.

Forgive my electrical ignorance. Is it these jobs you are recommending to me (not other Classic drivers) :

479 Halogen H2 12 55 £4.72

They're only 55W and I can't see the benefit. I'm willing to try super ones as I have the Classics now applied, so the present ones will do as a back-up until I re-apply the Morettes.

Pls give me the part # which you recommend and I'll give it a test, loom permitting.

If I visited a garage I would be at least £45 down by now, without parts & labour.

Roll on SN and Alcazar!

K.
Old 16 October 2005, 01:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

No, it's one down from that, Part No. 488. H2 130W, £6.79.

Be ready for it to eat bulbs though

Dunno if Halfrauds would be cheaper? Once you add VAT and p&p to that, they'll be around £22 a pair! If you have a Halfrauds anywhere near, they open sundays?

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 05:53 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Al.

I've placed a message on their answerphone. I'll let you know how I get on but it'll be at least a couple of weeks.

K.