Notices

HID conversion kits

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2003, 09:52 PM
jaysback
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

dont know if anyone is interested in 8000k(brightness, blue/white) HID converion kits. these use osram bulbs & ballasts, top notch kit. can get most bulb fittments even H4 dual beam , these are slightly more expensive tho. H7,H1,H3,HB3,HB4,HB5, all £500. let me know?
used them on my VR4 and would not go back to standard bulbs now
Old 01 February 2003, 10:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

seems a bit expensive you can get kits for 3-400 now
Old 02 February 2003, 03:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Price for H4??
Alcazar
Old 03 February 2003, 08:43 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify things before memebers are tempted to part with their money.

Firstly Osram do NOT make an 8000K lamps. Only 4300K and 5400K. Secondly the degrees kelvin refers to the colour point on the black body curve measured as an XY coordinate. 8000K is NOT brighter than for example a 4100K lamp. Normally quite the opposite. These Asian made lamps achieve their colour by blue filters on the glass which significsntly reduce the light out put or lumens which is the unit of measurement.

These Asian kits can be bought for as little as $250 so this price is very high.

Quite rightly you can say I am biased which is true but there are many good kits in the market , these do not fit in that catergory so save your money.

Nick

Old 03 February 2003, 11:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Cheers for the input Nick. Point taken.
Alcazar
Old 03 February 2003, 01:32 PM
jaysback
Scooby Newbie

i just like to say that i upgraded from philips vision plus (award wining bulb), to this HID conversion kit. the difference in light output is staggering and that is only to be expected
now from what i can gather the newer generation 2 HID lamps e.g. LEXUS,AUDI etc are 6000k lumen. and by my comparison, they seem to be a more blue/white colour? and the range on them is just as good also.
i have just had a quick look on http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm
when was the price off your 6000K kit droped to £400?
if i had seen this when i got mine i would have probably got my kit from you guys..........
on the point of the bulb itself, i am sat here with the lamp. there is no blue filter what so ever, and it is a luminarc lamp.
i did a quick search on this name and ended up at the OSRAM site?
I hope this clears any problems up?
Old 04 February 2003, 02:27 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

The most important thing is that as its your money you are happy. All I am trying to do to give the facts and then its the consumers decision.

Let me try to answer the points raised in you mail in the order they are raised.

The term second generation may be a little confusing. In the late 80's the first product that was introduced for car use was the hand made D1. This was hard wired into the electronics and had a warm up time of approx 15 secs. Hardly ideal. This improved and was eventually introduced in the BMW 750 E for the USA market only.

The next product introduce was the D2S or R. One for ellipsoidal systems and one for free form (in those day primarily Mercedes to be different to BMW). The main differences here were replaceable lamp, so not hardwired and most importantly UV cut to be used without concern in plastic headlamp systems. All lamps up until this date and point of developement rated at 4100-4300K. This is the only product approved for OE use

The market evolved and Philips introduced the Xentron system and Osram the Luminarc. Prime drivers to eliminate the distance for the HT current and by enabling the mounting of the ballast up to 3 m from the lamp meant OE design and packaging was much easier. These terms are terms for the system and if anything if yours was an Osram lamp it would be designated Xenarc as I am sure the system you have is only a rebased lamp. On the Luminarc and Xentron system the ignitor is integrated into the lamp base.

See here the link to the official Osram site
http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

You will see the highest spec kelvin lamp is 5400k.

All cars today specified with Xenon/HID systems as OE use only the 4100K lamp as the only product that has been specified and approved for road use the world over.

As for our site the prices havent changed for months but thanks for your comments anyway. Happy motoring with your system and at any point if we can help please let me know

Nick

Old 04 February 2003, 05:20 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick,

What price you doing kits for us MY01 Morrette owning scoobynet drivers for then
Old 04 February 2003, 07:55 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

We have offered 10% discount to ALL Scoobynet members. If we get to 20 kits this discount increases to 15% for all customers so at a certain point all existing customers may be entitled to another 5% credit.I will check the numbers

I hope for this Jason Clark the originator of this GB gets a few free drinks from you guys (when he is not driving of course)

Nick