Changing P1 driving light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 07:46 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

How???
At the moment it looks like I have to unscrew the whole lot to get at the bulb.... Is there a clever/easy way to do this?

Ta

Old 08 November 2002, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Probably not. On the standard car, you have to undo the 3 bolts that hold the light in place, (careful, one holds the indicator too), and then withdraw the light. Removing the bulb will depend on the type of driving light actually fitted. Start hoping it's NOT an HID!!!!!
Why not take the chance to change the existing bolts/captive washers for stainless ones with seperate washers?
It's something I do automatically to any fastener not needing high torques.
Alcazar
Old 13 November 2002, 12:10 AM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got the same problem and have been told you have to change the whole light? i am sure there must be a better way but i was told this by a dealer and they cost about 50 quid
keep in touch as i want to find a cheeper option
Old 15 November 2002, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Look carefully at the bulb, through the lens unit.
Is it about 25-30mm from the reflector to it's tip? If so, it's a standard halogen, and spares are available, so it MUST come out.
Does it have a thin wire running parallel to the bulb unit, then bending over to go in the "top" end, and is the whole "bulb" about 50mm long? If so, then you have HID. Spare bulbs are available, a Hella dealer will advise, but be prepared, they ARE likely to be 50 notes or so!!
I'm surprised it's gone if it's an HID, they last about 5 times longer than a halogen. I assume you've checked the wiring?
In any case, I think you're going to have to demount the light to see how to get at the bulb. Just don't demount it from it's bracket, or you'll end up having to realign it. Demounting the light unit is 3 bolts located, two at bottom, and one at top of the unit. You need a 10mm socket, preferably a 1/4" drive, and an extension to get at them. Be careful, as the top one also secures the indicator in place.
Hope this is of help?
Alcazar
Old 15 November 2002, 09:39 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Cheers guys - I kind of gave up on this in the end. The bulbs are standard H4 (I think) - I had bought some higher power ones to put in instead.
The screws on the bracket come off okay but the adjusting screws go through the bracket into the bumper itself. It was a complete bitch to get into so I gave up

Thanks anyway
Old 19 November 2002, 11:32 PM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

no no its cool i took it all apart at the weekend you can change the bulb. but when i took mine apart it was the wire that had chaffed easy fit (thanks for the help lancasters) any how remove the whole unit and there are 3 screews holding the buld in remove these and the bulb will fall out. don't know how much they cost cos mine was fine (i checked it on the other side)you might want to check your wires before you buy one.