Notices

It's dark out there

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2002, 01:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

There are a few threads on here at the mo about uprated bulbs..must be the winter nights. (Yes, I know, it's still autumn, b4 some clever sod corrects me!)
I would do two things. First, check that your car's lights are aligned properly. An MoT test station will do it for £5 or so, but you can have a look yourself by taking the car onto a dark straight road, and getting someone to stand in front of each light in turn.....it gives you a better idea of what each light is doing.
It's best to do this on a dry night, as dry road surfaces reflect the light back to you better, instead of all over the place!
Have you checked that they're not turned down on the headlamp levelling device?
I use Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter bulbs, which are pretty good, legal, don't need uprated wiring, and available from Powerbulbs at the mo with FREE w5w sidelamps that match the brighter light. Cost £20.
The large round lights on the car as standard are foglights, and about as much use as chocolate fireguard. Alternatives include PIAA, Hella (both from Prodrive), Cibie (from Scoobysport etc), and the ultimate, which is Hella HID's also from Scoobysport, but make sure you're sitting down if you ring them for a price!!
You can also improve your lights with a set of Morette quad conversions, but again, at a price.
Alcazar

[Edited by alcazar - 11/6/2002 10:37:12 AM]
Old 05 November 2002, 01:04 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed, now that it's getting dark early, that the headlights on my MY00 UKTurbo are nowhere near as good as those on my previous Sport of the same model year.

They're fine on full beam, but you have to keep turning that down when something comes the other way. The ones on my Sport used to light up the whole road, even without the hi-beam on!

Can anyone suggest decent replacement headlight bulbs? Also I've read a lot hear about driving lights. Are these the front fogs? The standard ones make a nice bright pool about 2 feet infront of the car and that's it.

What would you suggest as a better upgrade for fast night driving? Replacing the fogs with these driving lamps (if I'm thinking of them correctly) or simply geting more powrful bulbs in the headlights.

Thanks
Old 05 November 2002, 01:13 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

I did both. Ask dealer for brighter bulbs in your headlights. Sorry can't be more specific, but that's what I did, and I got better lights

I also bought Cibie Oscar SC driving lights (instead of fogs) as I do a lot of A / B road driving.

They are superb

Old 05 November 2002, 04:47 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I'll go for the philips vision plus bulbs to start with then, see what difference they make. If it's not enough I'll go for the driving lights.

Lights are aligned fine and I check the beam height everytime even though I know it's as high as it goes!
I've thought of lowering the beam two or three nothces and then putting high beam on, but I get paranoid that I'm blinding drivers coming the other way.
Old 05 November 2002, 09:21 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Wots the story with autolamps kudn't c any of the philips boyos in question let alone prices & or giveaway free sidelight thing on their web site Am i missing sumin kuz it sounds tempting & i'm easily tempted
Si
Old 06 November 2002, 09:30 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

No matter gone to powerbulbs & they r also doing free sidelight uns so £19.50 & i'm guna get 2 blind every1 with me PVP bad boys ok maybe not but can't hurt if i can at least c
Si
Old 06 November 2002, 07:58 PM
ste_d
Scooby Regular

With everyone saying these phillips vision plus bulbs are good, i am going to order some.
Can anyone tell me which i need, H1, H4, H7, for my MY99.

Thanx in advance
Ste

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2002, 11:13 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Er powerbulbs have a which bulbs do i need section if i'm not mistaken & H4's have it 4 me MY97 scoob presume it's same 4 u?
Si
Old 07 November 2002, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

MY'99, standard lights.
Headlights, H4
Foglights, H3
Morettes, headlight, H4
inner main beams, H2(!!!!)
Alcazar
Old 15 November 2002, 12:53 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Just ordered some Philips Vision plus too. Got some Osram +30% light a couple of years ago which were better but still not good enough. Also, the sidelights look quite different so it will be nice to have some matching (free) ones.

Bargain...
Old 15 November 2002, 03:33 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah baby mine now fitted & so much better round twisties at night
Si
Old 15 November 2002, 09:20 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yea me to fitted my visionplus last night and the free side lghts what a difference well chuffed for less than £20, and what a simple job to change the side lights a 2 minute job.

James